My Aftermarket Stand Broke….

NCtoad

I bought one of those 3d printed aftermarket stands for my D2 a while back. Well, it broke last evening.  The little “ear” that clips over the too short deus stand broke off and now it won’t stay attached.  I’ll try to remember to post a pick when I get home from work.  I bought it off of ebay from a seller named manxkat5.  It doesn’t look like he’s selling them anymore. Here’s a pic from a different seller with the narrow ears like the one I had 

B403CA63-5C07-469C-945C-D9BCC2A28C5E.jpeg.739ea7de7f1f595f2079056423e99831.jpeg

My question is:  has anyone else had one break and what, if anything, did you replace it with?   I don’t want to spend $15 on a part that’s going to break every 4 or 5 months.  Are there better options?  Here’s a link to one that has wider ears but it costs more:

AE12CDF4-1D1A-4CC6-8D70-AC772346C23A.jpeg.beec52f9a96d03c0ba6549c4af065ce7.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175321515599?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tjwVIf_yT8q&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=aM-gh_K9QNO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I really liked the stand because it kept the detector from constantly falling over.  But, like I said above, I want one that’s not going to break so easily.  The ones in both pics above say they are printed in PETG for strength and durability.  I don’t know what the one I had was printed from.  Is PETG going to hold up?

Here’s a pic of mine:

7B407B49-34EA-4C02-833A-AE814D5FA601.thumb.jpeg.aa54176584e39a0fde809964135ca388.jpeg

• Like 2

Mine broke months ago. Its was the one in the second photo. Nice idea……..wrong way to produce it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Mine broke months ago. Its was the one in the second photo. Nice idea……..wrong way to produce it. 

Thanks for posting this Jeff.  That’s the one I was going to get because the ears are wider and look stronger, but I’ll look for something else now.  

Steve, I would readily pay $40 to $50 for a carbon fiber or other properly sturdy extension that attaches similar to the 3D printed versions that don’t hold up. I don’t need your beautiful shaft/arm cuff upgrade for what I do but I get tired of chasing my XP detectors down hills and over cliffs😀

thanks

Jeff

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Steve, I would readily pay $40 to $50 for a carbon fiber or other properly sturdy extension that attaches similar to the 3D printed versions that don’t hold up. I don’t need your beautiful shaft/arm cuff upgrade for what I do but I get tired of chasing my XP detectors down hills and over cliffs😀

thanks

Jeff

It almost seems as if XP designed those feet on the armcuff to attach an extension to.  It has those molded in nubs that these aftermarket stands are using to keep their extensions in place.  I’d sure like to hear an explanation from an XP rep as to why they made the stand so short.  Otherwise, I really like the stock shaft.  

I've broke several of them in the same place, including ones from eBay and some that I made myself from PETG.

So, I started tinkering with the design and beefing up the area where they tend to break. The last one I printed is still going strong after a bunch of use, though I do agree with Steve that 3D printed parts just aren't ideal for stuff like this.

Anyway, my 3D printer is currently out of commission, but I'd be happy to share the stl file with anyone who has a printer and wants to try it.

d2standv9.JPG.cb0c258ae1f4adeae4535e58e1f37b3c.JPG

Ferrous Bueller (Chris) over at the Freedom forum has several versions too. Mine is actually based on one of his. You might want to contact him to see if he has a better version that's holding up well. 

• Like 4

Sorry that happened. 😵 Mine broke the first time I put it on, I super glued it back together and nothing since.

Can't wait for Steve G's new shaft. 😀 Zip ties are a detectorist's friend.

• Like 4

I too had two of the Ebay ones break.  I could have made my own, and perhaps I will at some point, but it cuts into my detecting time. 😁 So I'm just using the stock stand/cuff. If it falls over, it falls over. 😏

The problems with for sale 3D printed stands are with the design, the materials, and the printers. The design should have thicker sides and tops around the clip area to reinforce the structure. The typical materials vary from PLA, ABS, and PETG, which are common hobby materials. PETG is the strongest of the three, but it is not UV resistant and will become brittle after repeated exposure to sunlight. ASA, ASA/PC or ABS/PC blends, and PC (Polycarbonate) are much better materials for outdoor use products. However, those filaments are more expensive and require pro-grade 3D printers with heated enclosures to print correctly, although ASA can print on better grade non-enclosed printers. 

Of course higher end materials and machines affect the required price to make the same level of profit level. Many people get into 3D printing as a hobby and figure out ways to make some money online printing parts which is great, but for most it's not worth it to take things to the professional level and invest in a print farm. So you get what you pay for on Ebay, sometimes. 🙂

• Like 4