An Adventure That Ended Well

3 hours ago, strick said:

Nice hunt...you broke the ice now with those Roosevelts  so you should be good to go. The soldier button I’ve not seen before you may have another collectors item there. 

Strick

I found a picture of the button, but not much more than something about it being from the 1860s:400938504_s-l400(13).jpg.7d51babd2f998f9f52e63735d7bd3199.jpg

https://vatican.com/Buttons-Buttons-Civil-War-Era/

It's pretty far down the page. Using that photo didn't bring any more info.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

These coins are crusty, I have no idea why but they've been sitting in the dry dirt for 50 years so who knows. Not the usual shape I find silver in, I'm not sure what to do to clean them up.

I think it might have something to do with the farm animals that occupied the barn!

I'd clean them with one of the aluminum foil treatments.  That baking soda should do the trick.

• Like 2

Sweet finds F350! Many officers had custom made uniforms, so I suppose it's possible that "Roman" button, could have been worn by a Roman Catholic chaplain during the Civil War maybe? Great hunt, well done again!

PS. Congrats on your second Rosie! We're tied up... challenge accepted! 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Sweet finds F350! Many officers had custom made uniforms, so I suppose it's possible that "Roman" button, could have been worn by a Roman Catholic chaplain during the Civil War maybe? Great hunt, well done again!

PS. Congrats on your second Rosie! We're tied up... challenge accepted! 😉

I did think about that Cap'n, but Roosevelts are scarcer than Spanish Silver here. 🤣 

The Masonic pin was nearby the button, you might have something there. Noticed the arm and hammer in the pin, but there's not much info about it. Oddly enough there were 3 or 4 fired .45 bullets in that spot as well. 

• Like 2

Pretty good hunt! That last button almost appears to have writing on it in front of the soldiers face.  Could be a civilian button, but it's definitely an interesting one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Pretty good hunt! That last button almost appears to have writing on it in front of the soldiers face.  Could be a civilian button, but it's definitely an interesting one.

Thanks! For me, finding two whole silvers is an awesome hunt. The button has a stippled finish around the face like the clean pic I found. I think CPT_GhostLight has something about it being a chaplain's button. 👍

6 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! For me, finding two whole silvers is an awesome hunt. The button has a stippled finish around the face like the clean pic I found. I think CPT_GhostLight has something about it being a chaplain's button. 👍

Nice to see the button in the clean.  Doesn't look like a military button, seems odd to use a soldier on a chaplain's (religious) button. Nothing says praise the lord more than a Roman soldier 🙄

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Againstmywill said:

Just a thought...Screenshot_20221027-210742.thumb.jpg.c4dc7e99a982261437311a2a8739b6d6.jpg

That's it exactly! 👍 Thanks. Perhaps the other machine is a newer model. Here they used fish (menhaden) as a fertilizer, smells much worse. Most don't use it anymore. Better smelling through chemistry. 😀

• Like 1

That second piece of farm machinery might have originally had steel wheels, too, and got retrofitted with the tire+wheel set.

I agree with C_C -- not very likely part of a religious person's garb.  (Didn't the Romans feed Christians to the lions? 😲)  Pretty sure Scoville made many buttons for civilian use over the years so maybe just a coincidence that it dates to the CW.  Nice find, regardless. 

Excellent research that paid off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1