Can Anyone Verify What This Is?

Good morning,

Hunting a Victorian era park and pulled this mid conductor.  My best guess is a pocket watch winder or cover for the winder?  Maybe an old cover for a inkwell pen? Has a bit of gilt left on it.  I've dug a tens of thousands of targets, but this is the first that looks like this.

For reference, it's about 3/4 of an inch long, 1/4 inch in diameter.

Zincoln

20221027_074836.thumb.jpg.6e71d86c070cbc2e9f32b5142981521d.jpg

20221027_074806.thumb.jpg.699cb39055fc299006f2155c6a8b62a2.jpg

20221027_074823.thumb.jpg.29552693ea2d0c0f236d954c6e31c423.jpg

• Like 4

Very interesting. Is the thimble captured in the frame?

Not big enough to be a thimble JCR.  Couldn't get a finger in it.  The holes on opposite sides of the open end suggest that it was in some way attached to something else.  

Zincoln

• Like 1

Reminds me of a candle snuffer, but your piece appears to have been attached to something much bigger.  Besides, that would have to be a pretty small candle to work with this (1/4" ID) device.  (Is it really that small??)  Those two holes at the open end are important and figuring out what they were for would help....

52 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Reminds me of a candle snuffer, but your piece appears to have been attached to something much bigger.  Besides, that would have to be a pretty small candle to work with this (1/4" ID) device.  (Is it really that small??)  Those two holes at the open end are important and figuring out what they were for would help....

Had a similar thought on the snuffer GB.....but measured it at 3/8" ID....way to small for anything like a snuffer that i'd be aware of....unless it was for some early lighter?

Those two holes could have held a pin and this portion may have pivoted on that pin...the knurled knobs remind me of pocket watch knobs....but then everything Victorian was dressed up in some way it seems.

• Like 1

It would probably help us if there was a picture with a reference coin.

I've looked around a bit, got nothing. Looks like an antique car marker light, or maybe interior. Does it have a hole for a wire in the base? The two holes on the knurled rim look like they're for positioning thumbscrews, but there are usually 3.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

It would probably help us if there was a picture with a reference coin.

Ask and you shall receive.

20221027_194610.thumb.jpg.010b37a8438cf8d5b26fc3ceba7ea3bd.jpg

20221027_194604.thumb.jpg.56c6115113d1f04d173ef873e305c153.jpg

I've found some things that look similar in WW1 era kerosine trench lighters.  Nothing exact, but similar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now that's something you don't see very often.  Very unique, whatever it is.  GaryC/Oregon Coast