Can Anyone Verify What This Is?

The base of which the bowl is mounted to reminds me of the shaft that attaches to a fishing pole.

I have no idea of what it is but would like to know also.

6 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

I have no idea of what it is but would like to know also.

I bet your grandfather would recognize it quickly....  He was quite an antique information resource.

@Zincoln, is Antiques Roadshow going to be coming to your area??

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I bet your grandfather would recognize it quickly

Thank you for those kind words, he did love his antiques.

When I look at the item, I turn it on it's side because it looks like it should have been part of a fishing pole.

The bracket is what gets me, it looks as if it slides onto a bracket.

I hope someone can figure this item out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those small holes remind me of a early coleman stove/lantern pump, not that.  Small holes must have had been used to screw  or thru pin it to a shaft.  Maybe some kind of permanent match. MORISK Permanent Match, Cool Pipe Lighter Fluid Refillable, Copper Vintage Trench Lighters, Creative Auto Fire Starter, EDC Reusable Forever Matches, Unique Birthday Gift for Men Dad Husband Boyfriend

22 hours ago, NAGANT said:

Those small holes remind me of a early coleman stove/lantern pump, not that.  Small holes must have had been used to screw  or thru pin it to a shaft.  Maybe some kind of permanent match. 

I suspect you and Valens are both on to something.  It seems to have mounted on something like on the side of a pen or lighter.  It also either had a pin through it and mounted to something, or it had a 'bucket handle' of sorts like I've seen on some lighters that fit into the holes from the outside.  What is pretty clear is that it was fixed in place by the hoops and unable to be freed, other than rotation in place, which would have not been possible w/ a 'bucket handle', but could have it pinned to something else.

I was thinking about how it might have been attached like a fob to a chain as I've found some odd pieces here that ended up being adornments on men's watch chains.  Actually found pictures of some that I had no idea about.  Also thought about children's toys like a Top, for instance.  

Haven't had Antiques RS here in years to my knowledge, but may take it to an old antique store and see if anyone from the Greatest Gen has any idea.  

• Like 2