Another Hunter..

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Fishing bobber in one of his bags.  Appears to be someone on a vacation/holiday to me.  On second thought, looks a lot like geof_junk....  Hmmm.  🤔

Erik an I have an understanding he keeps of my beach *GEOFFREY BAY" and I keep of his. November I will be taking all of Phrunt gold in NZ so Erik will have full access to my beach during that time. 

😜

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

A roll of U.S. zinc cents scattered about the beach would likely detour him from ever coming back 😂

I got into a patch of those at 4 AM in the morning at Pismo about a year or so ago...took about 10 of them for me to realize I'd been had (slow learner) Those guys don't take kindly to out of towners 😃

strick

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

He would have to have dreadlocks!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 10:43 PM, Carolina said:

Your friend seems to be a bit of a nervous Nellie to me

If you ever met her, you'd find she's pretty well the opposite.. Her comment was a joke as she's always having a laugh at my obsession with metal detecting, especially about the detectors, coils and scuba gear in my living room and kitchen.. Like many other 'normal' people she's clearheaded enough to realize that most of my 'amazing' finds are really just junk.. 

She's one of the few people who travel from the mainland to the island for work (normally it's the other way around).. She noticed a dude with a metal detector and worked up the courage to take a few pictures to send to me as another sarcastic poke at my fanaticism.. 

It worked as far as me keeping a lookout this morning for any obvious signs of digging at my most productive bays.. There were none, or any sight of him.. I'm hoping he was just a poacher trying his luck.. God bless his tender detectorist heart.. 🤎       

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Erik an I have an understanding he keeps of my beach *GEOFFREY BAY" and I keep of his.

I know we've got an understanding Geoff, and that you've kept your side of the gentlemen agreement by not hunting at Alma Bay, but I've gotta fess up that I've dug a few silvers at your bay.. Sorry mate, just couldn't help myself.. I also dug some old gold jewellery along there.. Worst of all, being the generous soul that I am, I've also told all my mates about how great your bay is.. 😬

But, but, but.. I'm leaving plenty of good stuff in the ground just for you.. Some spots I only share with the living legends of the detectorist world, amongst whom you've earned a top place at the table.. So, if you ever come back to the island like some modern-day John Frum, I'll take you for a looksee at where the really good cargo is buried.. I hope that makes up for my betrayal.. I know it was a grubby dog act.. 😮  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a big fan of spot jumpers, but knowing they are around will make you hunt a little harder and with more purpose. I've seen a few in a couple of local parks and I don't get to worked up. Most times they are new guys, you can tell by the swing and shiny new detector. Your guy looks like he fits in that box, judging by the pristine look of his coil cover. Mine looks like it was dragged behind my truck. Fun post Erik

• Like 3

On 10/29/2022 at 11:15 AM, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

He would have to have dreadlocks!!

My hunch is that he ended up at a place called XBase, a backpacker 'resort and bar' which often hosts live bands.. They had a DOOF DOOF party there on Friday night.. Maybe he had insider knowledge about all the revellers who drop their coins or lose their jewellery on the beach in front of the place.. I'll have a looksee early Monday morning to see if he missed anything.. 🙂   

• Like 5

I always just have the attitude that I am better and more thorough at detecting than others. Most beaches are public and when people go in with the assumption that the other guy already found all the good stuff then it's a waste of time for them to be there. A positive attitude makes a big difference.

• Like 3