Discrimination Vs Notch, What Is The Difference?

I am getting ready to buy an XP Deus II. I understand discrimination and affect depth and blending of multiple targets under the  coil.

Does notching on the XP Deus II affect depth and blending the same way?

It has been made clear that using audio tone breaks may be a better method to ID desired targets from bad targets. But I would think the blending issue would be still the same in the case of having two different types of CO valued targets under the coil.

I am under the impression the only thing that is effective with the blending of target ID's problem is the reactivity setting on the XP Deus II.

Anyone care to expand on this for me to help me get a better understand of this issue?

It will be appreciated.

There has been a lot of interest and discussion over in the Deus II section of the XP sub-forum about this. I'm usually a dig all kind of guy so I've never explored the Discrimination or Notch too much until recently. But, I have come to appreciate the D2's unmasking capabilities using notch on certain programs, specially Fast.

Now I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the D2 uses the Discrimination value to set the iron tone and notch to blank out ID numbers or ranges of numbers completely.  I might be completely wrong, but I'm not sure Discrimination affects depth. There are more experienced D2 users who can give better explanations.

Disc or Notch will clip the audio of blending/masked targets, making them harder to pick out. High Reactivity also shortens audio response. Some are reporting good success on the D2 using Notch, indicating something special going on with the Notch feature activated. All detector makes are somewhat different in behavior but the basics are consistent across VLFs.

I have always done better in identifying mixed targets with full tonal audio. Either with full tones or listening to the tone breaks blend back & forth. You do have to know if the detector you are using up or down averages targets. It takes some experimenting & thoughtful digging of LOTS of iffy targets to learn where to best set the Tone Breaks and/or Notches. TID will be wide but still can convey useful info.  Disc or Notch will make for a quieter hunt, but will miss some severely compromised good targets. I would rather have the predominant trash items report in their own odd sounding Tone bin than be silenced. Some detectors will Null the Threshold on rejected targets. This is a great feature as it negates a lot of the ill effects of Disc.

I do know that on the CTX using combined audio I could set the CO tone break between 43 & 44 and tell the difference between a silver dime and a clad dime if the dime with say within 4" deep. Go much deeper and the TID's change and mess with your more precise CO tone breaks.