Just Recieved 24K

DSMITH

took delivery of a new Garret 24 K today purchased from Gerry very quick delivery 2 days

I am curious though as to why a brand new Garret 24 K has a battery cover that says Whites on it though LOL, just thought it was odd so I received a whites/Garrets 24K LOL at least the battery cover is black, have a six inch coil coming from Gerry for it also, put it together and charging the included rechargeable batteries as I type really looking forward to getting out with this 24K

first impressions what I see so far I like, when you set it down it doesn't fall over, which is a big plus after using the GM1000

will add some more once I get out in the area I detect

Thanks Gerry for the great service

• Like 5

I'm sure you're going to love it, so much better than the GM1000 I think.  I think the Whites written on it is a homage to Whites, after all it started life as a Whites detector, I thought that was a nice touch and I appreciated they did that even though I'm not a fan of Whites, mainly because I never owned any.

I'm surprised Gerry had some of the 6" Concentrics left, I thought they'd be rare as hens teeth by now but it's excellent you were able to get one, great performing coil.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'm sure you're going to love it, so much better than the GM1000 I think.  I think the Whites written on it is a homage to Whites, after all it started life as a Whites detector, I thought that was a nice touch and I appreciated they did that even though I'm not a fan of Whites, mainly because I never owned any.

I'm surprised Gerry had some of the 6" Concentrics left, I thought they'd be rare as hens teeth by now but it's excellent you were able to get one, great performing coil.

I am not complaining about whites name on it also just discovered on the back of the control pod it has whites logo on the back and garret's on the front, it is a nice touch it just surprised me, Garrets way of keeping Whites alive I guess, on the coil also, I like it the looks anyways, received it so late this evening I was unable to go out and try it out in my front yard so I am just getting the batteries charged up in preparation to try it out tomorrow, just gives me time to read through the instruction pamphlet that came with it, as far as the 6 inch coil from my understanding Gerry had to really dig through things to find it, also have someone that offered me a second 6 inch coil for just the shipping fee so I will have a back up 6 inch for a nominal fee, would like to find one of the 4x6 inch DD coils but I think that one is dreaming, I really hope Garrets makes a 4x6 inch coil for the 24K but I think that is wishful thinking also with the impending release of the Axiom the 24K is the last thing on Garrets Mind, but we can hope LOL, I think on the ground I detect the 4x6 inch DD coil would probably be a really good coil for the conditions I detect in

The GM1000 was ok there was just things that irritated me about the GM1000, like the falling over when you set it down to retrieve a target, and a couple of other things

well found one thing I do not like on the 24K, I do not care for the shaft locks, there is some little white pieces on the shaft that goes in a square hole on the shaft under the locking nut that just pops out when you try to lock the locking nut why these are loose I have no clue, kind of a cheap shaft locking system, don't know if the two little white pieces were supposed to be glued in place and were just missed or what, the do not appear to be broken or anything, they appear to just sit under the locking nuts and then you tighten the nut which compresses the white thing to lock the shaft, anyone have any idea's on this 

11 hours ago, DSMITH said:

well found one thing I do not like on the 24K, I do not care for the shaft locks, there is some little white pieces on the shaft that goes in a square hole on the shaft under the locking nut that just pops out when you try to lock the locking nut why these are loose I have no clue, kind of a cheap shaft locking system, don't know if the two little white pieces were supposed to be glued in place and were just missed or what, the do not appear to be broken or anything, they appear to just sit under the locking nuts and then you tighten the nut which compresses the white thing to lock the shaft, anyone have any idea's on this 

There is a cam that presses the blocks against the shaft so that is doesn't wobble. It has been around for years and works just fine. Jim

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DSMITH said:

took delivery of a new Garret 24 K today purchased from Gerry very quick delivery 2 days

I am curious though as to why a brand new Garret 24 K has a battery cover that says Whites on it though LOL, just thought it was odd so I received a whites/Garrets 24K LOL at least the battery cover is black, have a six inch coil coming from Gerry for it also, put it together and charging the included rechargeable batteries as I type really looking forward to getting out with this 24K

first impressions what I see so far I like, when you set it down it doesn't fall over, which is a big plus after using the GM1000

will add some more once I get out in the area I detect

Thanks Gerry for the great service

Don,  Glad the Garrett/White's 24K arrived and you are already getting it ready to go.  Sorry to hear the battery cover has the White's logo (those are the really rare and collectible units).  I personally rank the 24K as the #1 VLF Gold Only detector out there.  Having the ability to run it in Auto (like the GM-1000) is fine, but I myself prefer the option of fine tuning the detector for the exact ground and spot I am hunting.  Sure wish the GM-1000 had such an option?  Plus the meter on the 24K provides much more information to the end user.

Yes, the stand on the 24K is much better than the GM-1000 and the GB-2 in my opinion.

Hopefully your success is as good as it has been for me.

1Big24A.jpg

2Ring24KE.jpg

24K2A.JPG

24K3A.jpg

24K4d.JPG

24K5D.JPG

24KVB1.jpg

24KVB4.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, snakejim said:

There is a cam that presses the blocks against the shaft so that is doesn't wobble. It has been around for years and works just fine. Jim

I am almost wondering if there is something missing of the shaft locks because if you loosen the shafts to much the white part just falls out

1 minute ago, DSMITH said:

0I am almost wondering if there is something missing of the shaft locks because if you loosen the shafts to much the white part just falls out

They shouldn't fall out. Something is broken or missing.

• Like 1

So you're saying I have a rare and collectable Garrett 24k?

I really liked they put the Whites stuff all over it, a nice touch I thought.

IMG_0049.thumb.jpg.060570d97e35c3bbfe569550a8562e17.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg.11411298a5fba0384bd025276ac9014d.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg.7729e4b3c3af9f3582a3aec53b61410d.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, phrunt said:

So you're saying I have a rare and collectable Garrett 24k?

I really liked they put the Whites stuff all over it, a nice touch I thought.

IMG_0049.thumb.jpg.060570d97e35c3bbfe569550a8562e17.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg.11411298a5fba0384bd025276ac9014d.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg.7729e4b3c3af9f3582a3aec53b61410d.jpg

I agree 100% phrunt I like it also

I will tell you in an air test on my wedding band which is a 10 k band the 24K hit my wedding band at 12 inches and i know it is only an air test but I thought that was pretty good depth on a ring, I do know the ground you detect can skew things like depth also among other things, I am not really sold on air test I mainly did it to see what target ID came up, needles to say I was pretty impressed by what I seen

Also phrunt can you tell me what the two little rubber blocks are for with the sticky backs almost makes me think they are small feet that sticks to the bottom of the battery compartment for a sort of stand but not sure there is no mention of them in the owners manual

• Like 1