The Mercedes Of Batteries

Some how I can see a car manufacture actually doing this.

Thank you for the video as it was very nice.

• Like 1

Valens, too late, Tesla has done it, their cars are powered by 18650's, thousands of the suckers, not much different than AA's that the ad is joking about.  I can't help think it's a dig at Tesla.

E1GfSbSVoAE3_Py.jpg.5b7c416d21b19410295d3451773d65b9.jpg

E1GgKfVUYAIuYmq.jpg.5f247870c47015c7a6fe27a708f094e0.jpg

Tesla-Panasonic-battery-cells.thumb.gif.d5e842c7274a5402e9a71025fcbcad62.gif

I wonder if that's why Minelab charge us hundreds of dollars for their battery packs that have a small handful of 18650's that should in reality cost us very little, as Telsta and the likes are buying the entire world supply of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Toyota got the jump on Tesla with their solid state battery tech. Gonna replace the reliance on 18650's forever. 

• Haha 2

As phrunt pointed out that video is not that far from the reality. With enough AA Alkaline batteries these electric cars would run fine - until the batteries run down. Other than the battery chemistry the video pretty much reflects the reality of electric cars today.

Neither Tesla nor Toyota manufacture batteries.

Tesla has a partnership with Panasonic who manufactured the 18650 batteries previously used in Teslas and the current 2170 they are now using. It takes 4,680 2170 batteries to make the battery pack in a Tesla model Y. The 18650 battery requires 8,256 cells. The 2170 battery pack is about 300 pounds lighter than the equivalent 1860 battery pack. The 2170 is nearly twice the mass and more than twice the output of the old 18650 battery.

Panasonic is also manufacturing the replacement 4680 batteries Tesla is now incorporating into their manufacturing. The new (much larger) 4680 battery supplies 5 times as much power as the 2170 and are quite a bit more efficient. The Panasonic 4680 is not just a bigger lithium battery it has a tabless design which is an actual concrete improvement in Lithium battery design. It's how they managed to finally make a bigger lithium battery instead of using all those flashlight batteries everyone else is still stuck with.

Toyota sources most of their EV batteries from Panasonic and LG. Toyota uses both Lithium and NIMH batteries in their cars and don't generally reveal which you are purchasing. Toyota has had plans to manufacture a new solid state lithium battery in a partnership with LG (South Korea) since 2018. Two months ago Toyota pledged more than 5 billion dollars towards that or possibly another partnership or two. At present neither the money nor the batteries exist but the plan is to be in production by 2025.

I think Chevy got the jump on everyone. Their Bolt uses a pouch battery (like in your cellphone) that has a runaway problem (fire) that caused them to recall all 141,000 of their Bolts and stop manufacturing new Bolts. Unlike Tesla and Toyota, Chevy for the time being, is no longer bleeding money by selling electric Bolt cars at a financial loss. In my book that's a win with the bonus being there are now fewer electric cars catching fire and burning to the ground, with toxic fumes, in our public places.

Chevy Bolts are now being offered for sale with a new battery pack and a $6,000 lower price. You can order one now but there is no plan to deliver Bolts until "sometime" in 2023. Chevy is offering current Bolt owners $6,000 cash to promise not to sue Chevy for any battery issues they might encounter.

Solid state batteries aren't new technology. "Solid state" when referring to battery technology is simply a solid electrolyte battery as opposed to the liquid or gel type electrolytes used in lithium batteries now. Solid state batteries have been in common use since the 1950s. The first solid state lithium battery was manufactured in the 1990s. There are a lot of problems to solve before a solid state lithium battery can be considered as a real candidate for replacing the current lithium batteries in autos.

Being that 18650 batteries cost about $5 retail and less than $3 wholesale I doubt the cost of Minelab battery packs has much to do with what batteries are being used in cars. Does anyone know how many 18650 batteries Minelab is using in their battery pack?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yea, that was more a bit of a joke about Minelab horrendously overcharging us, the CTX 3030 has 4 18650's in it's battery pack, the GPZ I guess has 6, it's just the same but larger battery pack the CTX uses.   Older GPX models have 8 18650's, look at the price of that battery pack, nearly makes me faint.

It seems you never want to expose an electric vehicle to salt water, like driving through salt water flooded areas, it can get very nasty.

• Like 3

Let us pause to consider the brave, new greenwashed world where oil is eliminated; the ambulances and fire trucks at your beck and call are are somehow smelted and powered solar electrically - sourced with locally and ethically produced nickel, copper and lithium. Plastics, rubber, and steel eliminated and replaced with compressed leaf matter. Solar cells magically created not by existing coal-fired Chinese silicon rare earth and Uighur slave labour camps, but rather you imaginary rainbow unicorn farts:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a41573015/teslas-flooded-during-hurricane-ian-are-spontaneously-igniting-in-its-aftermath/

• Like 3