Garrett Axiom Software Update Gets A Little More Depth And Au For Us

4 hours ago, Swegin said:

I believe a dealer on this forum is doing exactly that.  I’m not going to say but a quick search will.

I’m ok with a deposit- my favorites here do that and it’s common practice probably as they’ve been burned by some customers here too.  But a no-name non- personal and faceless online only dealer charging full price for a preorder is a definite red flag.

• Like 2

I'd buy from Gerry if I was in the US, what better person to buy from than someone who was a tester of it, if you have questions there is hardly a better person to ask.   I always prefer to buy from someone I can have a dealer/customer relationship with rather than a faceless website that's just basically drop shipping and making dough for doing so.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, GotAU? said:

But a no-name non- personal and faceless online only dealer charging full price for a preorder is a definite red flag.

I would agree with you but Kellyco is legit and have won many Minelab awards over the years.   If I  was buying an Axiom it would be from Gerry as Phrunt pointed out who better than a tester.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Swegin said:

I would agree with you but Kellyco is legit and have won many Minelab awards over the years.   If I  was buying an Axiom it would be from Gerry as Phrunt pointed out who better than a tester.

Kellyco changed radically after Stu died, and is a ghost of its former glory. It’s under new ownership, a far smaller company now than it was just a few short years ago. It’s simply not the same company anymore, same name, different people.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Swegin said:

Gerry is an awesome dealer. He is trusting also when someone puts an order in. I know he knows where you live by your address and all, but dang, he’s sent detectors to me even before my personal check got to him, and then he sends me emails asking how it’s going. A+

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Gerry is an awesome dealer. He is trusting also when someone puts an order in. I know he knows where you live by your address and all, but dang, he’s sent detectors to me even before my personal check got to him, and then he sends me emails asking how it’s going. A+

Yesterday I talked with the minelab repair facility about one of my machines...I wanted to order a part...they told me that I needed to get the part from my dealer.....ok so I e mailed Gerry...got  response back from him almost immediately. Not only did he email me he also called me on the phone as well as the the repair facility. All this while he is out in the middle of the Nevada desert training people. Several years ago I had sent in a machine to the repair facility. The machine had been there for around a month and maybe longer...when a phone calls to the repair facility were not returned I called Gerry. Next day I get a call from the repair facility. Coincidence? I think not...Gerry is a great guy and he will help you. if he can. I like to  razz him a bit here on the forum but its all in good fun. 

strick 

• Like 6

On 10/29/2022 at 1:31 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Just in the nick of time we were able to squeeze in one more field comparison.  Why you ask?

Weather up our way is really starting to cool off.  Just had snow the last few days on mountain tops around us.  Not sure how much more we'll be able to get out before we're snowed/frozen for the winter.

Here is what we completed -

My Field Staff Expert "Spencer" and I did some side by side comparisons with our Axioms recently.  His unit had the latest software update that pumped up the SENS/GAIN and my unit was the really smooth one with the older software.  I hate a detector that I have the SENS set to MAX and it runs so smooth I can't get any more out of it.  But I thought that was what Garrett was going to provide us.  Luckily they listened to a few of us (Thanks Steve H) and we were allowed a new Software update.

I'll make it simple here, but Spencer's unit with the newest update needed to turn the SENS down a couple clicks (just what we like).  Here's the funny of it.  He hit that nugget in an area we've pounded with the Axiom previously.  In fact, he called me over and when I swung across it, it was almost a soft whining sound, not even a signal.  His unit with exact same coil size and timing (just down 2 on the SENS) was hitting it pretty easy.

Sure enough, near a foot down was this beauty.  Just over an ounce troy in total weight.  The quartz crystals are a bonus to go along with the gold.

Garrett is in Australia right now and I expect as soon as they get back, we'll get an update on shipping times.

Again, if you are wanting to get the Axiom, let me know and get on my list.

Gerry's Detectors 208-345-8898

Gerry

Spenc1Ax.jpg

Spen2Ax.jpg

SpencerAx3.jpg

Gerry/Steve,

I was wondering what you both think of the coil edge or proximity sensitivity. I have not heard any mentions of this yet from any testers.

For example, I would rate the Minelab SDC 2300 w/ stock coil to having amazing edge sensitivity for a PI. You just get near a target and it's picking it up; Conversely, a Whites TDI needs to be pretty much over the target. 

Or, the ability to pinpoint using the edge of the Axiom's coil to quickly pinpoint a target.

Of course, it depends on target type, mass, depth, ground, etc, blah, blah, blah.... But in your honest opinion, out of 1 to 10, how would you rate it's Mono and DD coils edge & proximity sensitivity.

Would a Axiom Mono coil compare similar to say a GPX 6000 Mono coil and Axiom DD coil compare to a GPX 6000 DD coil.... Even better, to a GPZ running a 12" Nuggetfinder coil (My current go to set up). I know these coils are different but so I can gauge it to something I know (GPZ w/ 12" & SDC).

Thanks

• Like 1

I have to also plug Rob and Chris- without too much detail here, Rob went to bat for me and was able to get an expired sale honored for me from ML, and then there’s Chris… He sold me a used coil that had a gold flake stuck inside the cracked coil cover! Hah, at least that’s the joke I pulled on him and he took me seriously for at least a little while! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, Deep Beeps said:

Gerry/Steve,

I was wondering what you both think of the coil edge or proximity sensitivity. I have not heard any mentions of this yet from any testers.

For example, I would rate the Minelab SDC 2300 w/ stock coil to having amazing edge sensitivity for a PI. You just get near a target and it's picking it up; Conversely, a Whites TDI needs to be pretty much over the target. 

Or, the ability to pinpoint using the edge of the Axiom's coil to quickly pinpoint a target.

Of course, it depends on target type, mass, depth, ground, etc, blah, blah, blah.... But in your honest opinion, out of 1 to 10, how would you rate it's Mono and DD coils edge & proximity sensitivity.

Would a Axiom Mono coil compare similar to say a GPX 6000 Mono coil and Axiom DD coil compare to a GPX 6000 DD coil.... Even better, to a GPZ running a 12" Nuggetfinder coil (My current go to set up). I know these coils are different but so I can gauge it to something I know (GPZ w/ 12" & SDC).

Thanks

Axiom mono coils are edge sensitive, the Focused Core DD is center sensitive. The mono is similar to how other mono coils work, hottest near the winding, but the DD is not like other DD coils, more like a concentric with extra ground canceling capability. I already mentioned this earlier in the thread. I’ll be doing a more detailed write up on the coils soon.

Axiom Focused Core (FC) DD Coils from Garrett Metal Detectors on Vimeo.

• Like 2

I've found only 3 small dink nuggets the 1st day I used it on an old dink patch.  The Mono coil worked like the Monos on my Minelabs.  Once I learned how sensitive the Axiom PI was, I realized it could hold it's own at that price point. To me the task was accomplished as the detector proved to have better sensitivity to smaller nuggets than most PIs I've used in previous yrs and certainly better than any other Garrett PI.

My next task, I wanted to try and see how well the Axiom performed on specimen gold.  After all many older PIs don't do as well on various kinds of specimens. The gold I find is not small nor do I worry about using the coil edge.  These bigger chunks are easy to spot. 

Sorry for not being able to rate the coil edge.  But the Mono runs like a Mono should and I expected for the short time I hunted dinks.

• Like 1