Garrett Axiom Software Update Gets A Little More Depth And Au For Us

Different question pertaining to the coils. Does the hot rock ground balance feature work equally well with either coil type, Mono & DD?

Can the hot rock GB feature work side by side/concurrently while using discrimination (of course while using a DD on the machine) ?

2 hours ago, Deep Beeps said:

So what did they do to make DD coils have a Concentric mag profile.... Cant say Ive seen this before.

I have an Axiom on order and do plan to use it with my GPZ.... Not hoping it will replace it. I see me trying the disc in some trashy areas that are pretty unhuntable. But like you said, Im sure the 3rd party coil mfg'rs will be making their versions of coils for the Axiom.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Deep Beeps said:

Different question pertaining to the coils. Does the hot rock ground balance feature work equally well with either coil type, Mono & DD?

Can the hot rock GB feature work side by side/concurrently while using discrimination (of course while using a DD on the machine) ?

Ground balance features are the same regardless of coil. Though the DD design has an inherent built in edge when it comes to ground balancing, the same as all DD coils. The disc function only works with the DD coil. Again, disc and ground balance are separate functions, so yes, you can do ground balance functions, including the window, while using disc.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The machine is at the limits of the hardware now. I used the Axiom extensively in Oz, and in my opinion there would be no benefit to Oz users in pushing anything higher, except to introduce noise across the board. The coils are not chipped, and my hope is for extensive support by third party coil manufacturers.

Many Thanks Steve for info your downunder adventure threads , and Gerry for this thread, when you fellows post such experiences this old codgers ears stand up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 12:53 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I would add exactly the same caveat to anyone using a Minelab PI detector, as I have seen them call 1/2 oz nuggets sitting on the surface a ferrous target.

I've seen that too with bullets under certain ground conditions, primarily associated with moisture.  That's why you dig it all first to see when disc is "lying to you" and when it is not.  You then get a feel for the trust level, but it's never an exact science and you are playing the odds knowing you might leave the odd keeper in the ground and you will still dig "good sounding" iron that won't trip the disc grunt or blanking circuit. When the machine and your ears are calibrated and dialed in appropriately for the conditions at hand, on the GPX units, it really becomes a combination of the disc "blanking" response and the smoothness of the target response signal tone variation as you sweep across the target.  Then it's just a matter of when the disc gets fooled by ferrous targets "masquerading" as non-ferrous, typically those are bent nails which respond like bullets or tiny nail heads that respond like small brass buttons.  If it basically comes down to Axiom disc really can only be trusted as much as or similar to what a GPX disc can be trusted to not call a non-ferrous target, ferrous, then I can live with playing those odds and know I will be mostly successful at recovering most of the keepers that pass under my coil and minimize (but not eliminate) digging nails, nail heads, and wire.  I just have to have my "ears" dialed in on the typical large and small ferrous target responses (with disc) compared to the typical high conductor/large mass non-ferrous target response and low conductor/small mass non-ferrous target response for the targets of interest.  Thanks for elaborating, Steve.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2022 at 1:13 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

With this last update my work on Axiom is essentially done now. Detectors will be shipping to dealers soon, and I guess I’ll just sit back and see what happens. New detector release drama I am sure, Johnny on the spot comparison videos by people with two hours use, and all that fun stuff. My goal is to pretty much sit it out and just watch. A year from now the dust will have settled, and where the Axiom fits into the overall scheme will be sorted out. But for now, let the fun and games begin! :smile:

4819BEA1-A5E4-4CF3-9A7E-8B6F1E5377C2.jpeg

Has Garrett released software for updates on the Axiom?

On 12/29/2022 at 1:44 AM, rled2005 said:

Has Garrett released software for updates on the Axiom?

The detector is only just now getting into end users hands, so the only software version is the one it is shipping with. I do half expect there will be an update at some point, though that is not a given. It really just depends on feedback from early users as to how that goes. Garrett lists updates on their website when they become available and they will no doubt get mentioned on the forum here also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1