CTX 3030 Owners

strick

Check your cables. This is the Cable that goes to the control panel not the coil cable. Recently I noticed that the screen back light would not turn on...now the screen itself is dimming out with shadows...This is a 2017 model. The interesting thing was that I had a an screen giving me problems on my first CTX but I never checked the cable I just sent it in to be fixed. wondering if this is a common problem.

strickĀ 

thumbnail (7).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 6

Could be some animal chewed on it? Unfortunate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

23 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Worms did that, got tired of him taking all their coins šŸ™‚

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

That's a pretty serious tear. I'm wondering if swinging the machine moves that cable slightly and eventually causes that or if the material just breaks down after time. But it looks like it gets hung up somewhere until it tears open.

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

That's a pretty serious tear. I'm wondering if swinging the machine moves that cable slightly and eventually causes that or if the material just breaks down after time. But it looks like it gets hung up somewhere until it tears open.

Thinking opening and closing the housing to remove the coil cable when you change coils. It pulls the damaged cable taught...the strange thing is that the cable has a unusual bend in it where the break is. That cable was never removed since I put the detector together as the instructions say to do so back in 2017. Maybe others wont have this issue but posting just in case.Ā 

strickĀ 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

You should see what rats did to my boat wiring a few years ago...nice clean job looked like you cut the wires with a sharp pair of dykes.

strick

• Like 1

Every winter mice would make nests inside my carburetor on my dirt bike. Not an easy thing. So every spring I had to take it apart and clean it. They never chewed on anything though fortunately. Never had anything chew on my detectors either.

Maybe it got pinched somehow closing the detector up after a coil change.Ā  At least that's an easy enough one to self-fix.Ā 

If it's a problem with the CTX it'd also be a problem with the GPZ you would think, especially now with aftermarket coils available and people changing coils more often as previously people invested in the 19" coil, tried it once and then threw it out, fitted the 14x13' and never needed to change coils again until the aftermarket coils arrived. šŸ™‚

Hopefully it's a one off, I guess people concerned about it could shrink some dual wall heatshrink over it to add a bit more meat to the cable.

This is what the full LCD cable looks like, same cable for the GPZ and CTX.

1373425051_lcdcable.jpg.ec9ffea90db08b148c7a16498c2d1747.jpg

• Like 2

I tried to source the cable but could not find it...I'll keep looking. maybe the repair center can send me one.. I watched the video of the guy doing the ctx tear apart. That cable is straight and does not have a kink in it like mine does so you may be right.Ā 

strick

On 10/30/2022 at 10:45 AM, strick said:

Check your cables. This is the Cable that goes to the control panel not the coil cable. Recently I noticed that the screen back light would not turn on...now the screen itself is dimming out with shadows...This is a 2017 model. The interesting thing was that I had a an screen giving me problems on my first CTX but I never checked the cable I just sent it in to be fixed. wondering if this is a common problem.

strickĀ 

thumbnail (7).jpeg

Ā 

The orange wire appears to be cut or broken.Ā  Am I seeing this correctly?Ā  If so that seems rather odd to have happened just by typical (manufacturer anticipated) flexing.Ā  (Sorry if I'm late to the party and it's already been figured out.)

• Like 1