What's Your Preference Puck Master Or Remote?

basstrackerman

2 hours ago, basstrackerman said:

I will agree that the WS6 is a huge improvement over the ws4. And I do like the fact that you can make the numbers on the screen much larger. And really the only things missing or what the xy screen and waterproofing? So it really does come with a lot of functions but I don't notice the weight difference really the Deus is so light already.  

No back light. Notching is limited to one notch instead of three and at least right now notch can’t be turned off. It stops at 00-00. Also, saved user programs are saved next to their original program instead of being saved in slots 13 through 24. Only one saved program per factory program which kind of sucks. Otherwise, WS6 is really amazing. 

• Like 5

I like the full remote and have gotten really use to it. I was going to try the Puck Master setup, but I just haven't seen the need yet. It's a great option to have with the full setup package though, should I ever need it.

• Like 4

One thing I can see it as useful for is a backup. If you have the WSA II or + headphones, you can put the puck in a bag and swap it out rather quickly should your remote have a problem. Also if you have a second coil and shaft, which I am going to have soon, you have a full second detector.

• Like 1

I’ve never used the puck as the master.  I really like the remote and if XP had offered a package with the remote, WSAII headphones and no puck, I would have bought that.  I’m debating on selling the puck and buying the WSAII headphones or the WSAIIXL headphones.  For me the weight savings is pretty much negligible plus the remote feels much more ruggedly built.  

My other option that I might do is:  if XP offers a smaller elliptical coil, then I would keep the puck, buy one of the two headphones and another shaft for two different setups.  That would be much more expensive than my first option.  In fact I could probably pocket some $ by selling the puck and then buying the headphones.  

Am I missing anything here?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

One thing I can see it as useful for is a backup. If you have the WSA II or + headphones, you can put the puck in a bag and swap it out rather quickly should your remote have a problem. Also if you have a second coil and shaft, which I am going to have soon, you have a full second detector.

What coil do you have now and which coil will you be buying?

19 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

What coil do you have now and which coil will you be buying?

I have the 9", and an considering the 11" but only because the 13" is unobtanium. Don't see much sense in having 2 the same size, hoping SteveG's new shaft will support the 13" but the 11 may have to do. 🙂

• Like 2

I do have the wsa 2 and wsa 2 XL headphones so I don't really need the ws6 puck unless I want a second detector.  I like the remote more as it's just easier to see and make adjustments and has a back light.  The screen on the puck is big enough while hunting, just while making adjustments it's more difficult to see.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NCtoad said:

My other option that I might do is:  if XP offers a smaller elliptical coil, then I would keep the puck, buy one of the two headphones and another shaft for two different setups.

Oh man, if they make a small elliptical for the D2, say a 9X5", that would be a smokin' set-up! I'd do the exact same thing or even buy a package that had the Full Remote, 9x5" coil and the WSA-II-XL headphones and no puck. That would be the perfect package for us land hunters. 😏

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mudwhale said:

I use both depending on where I am. In the thick crap it's the WS6. In the open it's the remote all day long.

Yeah in thick brush I take remote off and shove it in my pocket and keep using the wsa2 til I'm clear from the thick stuff then reinstall remote.  

• Like 1