Quieting The Impulse AQ On Wet Beach Swings?

I am noticing that sometimes the AQ makes a dominant tone on each swing at the wet of the beach. I’m not able to reduce it- unless it reduces depending on the EMI setting chosen (I didn’t spend a long time testing this)...  I had a long hunt today - 3 beaches 10am to 3pm. I was running on OBN’s short battery. Later in the day I was able to greatly reduce the tone. I’m wondering if it is a particular output voltage of the battery that made it work.  The Fischer team says no the operating voltage is regulated.  I’m wondering if it is really true.

• Oh my! 1

15 hours ago, bklein said:

I am noticing that sometimes the AQ makes a dominant tone on each swing at the wet of the beach. I’m not able to reduce it- unless it reduces depending on the EMI setting chosen (I didn’t spend a long time testing this)...  I had a long hunt today - 3 beaches 10am to 3pm. I was running on OBN’s short battery. Later in the day I was able to greatly reduce the tone. I’m wondering if it is a particular output voltage of the battery that made it work.  The Fischer team says no the operating voltage is regulated.  I’m wondering if it is really true.

The tone is from the salt content in the wet vs the drier sand. If it becomes annoying to you, rather than swinging the coil East to west you can swing north to south to remove or greatly reduce the the ping. Also slowing down your swing speed and raising the ATS may help. The operating voltage is regulated. Joes small battery should give approximately 5 hrs 15 min. run time.If it falls below the regulated voltage I’m not sure what takes place. I would assume it shuts down. If you own one of the first 30 machines or so sold, there are issues with the machine. One is, no matter where you adjust the frequency, it will default back to factory setting once you switch to any of the 4 operating modes. This along with several other timing issues were corrected after the 30 or so machines were sold. 

• Like 1

S/N 4210300  (what does it mean?)

The Frequency switch does seem kind of primitive in operation - like it should have smoother transitions as you rotate it.  Are you saying the EMI setting never “takes” - you switch back to a normal search mode and it goes back to a fixed setting?  I’m the second owner of mine. Did they offer to fix it?

I was hunting the same beach same wet when the swing noise changed. Like you say, the ATS setting then optimized it.  Some day when I’m extremely bored I will test this using a bench DC supply.

For now I’m extremely pissed that the Fun with Jim crew did so well just a couple of days before me at the Wedge. I got almost nothing - some big rusty metal things and fishing weights/ lures.  I then had the same luck at Newport and Laguna. I probably walked 5 miles. Not a detector problem - I tested it with a ring on a string I kept with me.  Could hear it a mile away.  My probable problem was I didn’t go far enough into the water like these guys were doing.  

Yes it goes back to default. As you put it “ It never takes “. It depends who you bought your machine from on if it has been fixed. Did yours come from Hawaii?

I just talked with a tech named Daniel (x1404). He thought mine would be past the first 30 as was made in April 2021 and units started coming out in 2020.  He asked around but could not confirm the first 30 EMI fault. He said they are still selling new units with 5 on the line right now.  He suggested I send mine in just to get checked before the warranty expires next April

Don’t call First Texas. Call Fisher. 915-225-0333.

Felix no longer works there-I know some of you liked working with him.

I’m thinking something may be wrong with the delay setting switch circuit. I’ve tried several small targets and don’t see much difference with it. Might have to do with the loose connection I found inside the housing.

As I am the second owner it may be the case that mine is not covered by the warranty even though it is less than 2 years old.  I’ll find out when they call me back. My unit was made April 2021.