Rip Pinpointa

Tony

Pinpointa (Ray) didn’t post much on this forum but he had been swinging detectors in Australia for over 50 years. He was originally from Melbourne, Australia and was one of the first White’s dealers back there in the day. He was a close neighbour to me here in Perth for quite a while before moving to Tasmania…..he was also a really good friend. I didn’t realise he had passed away late last year and only found out recently. He got me back into detecting over 20 years ago and I thank him for bringing the joy of it back to me. Ray loved White’s detectors and he was a formidable hunter…..Ray loved detecting for our “Goldies”…….being the Australian $1 and $2 coins and his White’s V3i paid for itself many times over. I remember Ray showing me a pile of these coins from a month long detecting holiday and I recall there being over $2500 just in these coins alone. Every one of these coins would have brought a smile to his face (except for the ones hit by lawnmowers 😂). He used to dig them out with surgical forceps because he was very careful about the grass and didn’t want to let on he had been in the area. I used to call him the Doctor and would ask him if he was “ready for surgery”……the patients being the $1 and $2 coins 😃

Rest In Peace Ray…….I’m hoping the plot where they buried you is devoid of any coins because I know how that would annoy you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

11 hours ago, Tony said:

Pinpointa (Ray) didn’t post much on this forum but he had been swinging detectors in Australia for over 50 years. He was originally from Melbourne, Australia and was one of the first White’s dealers back there in the day. He was a close neighbour to me here in Perth for quite a while before moving to Tasmania…..he was also a really good friend. I didn’t realise he had passed away late last year and only found out recently. He got me back into detecting over 20 years ago and I thank him for bringing the joy of it back to me. Ray loved White’s detectors and he was a formidable hunter…..Ray loved detecting for our “Goldies”…….being the Australian $1 and $2 coins and his White’s V3i paid for itself many times over. I remember Ray showing me a pile of these coins from a month long detecting holiday and I recall there being over $2500 just in these coins alone. Every one of these coins would have brought a smile to his face (except for the ones hit by lawnmowers 😂). He used to dig them out with surgical forceps because he was very careful about the grass and didn’t want to let on he had been in the area. I used to call him the Doctor and would ask him if he was “ready for surgery”……the patients being the $1 and $2 coins 😃

Rest In Peace Ray…….I’m hoping the plot where they buried you is devoid of any coins because I know how that would annoy you.

That is one shocking news. May he rest in peace, tracking some fresh and untouched areas. Strength to his family and friends.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, locator said:

That is one shocking news. May he rest in peace, tracking some fresh and untouched areas. Strength to his family and friends.

Thanks Locator…..his wife has never used a computer so couldn’t reach out to his detecting friends so I thought I’d post something to let people know (mainly down here in Australia). He did make it to 83 and lived a full life. He was 30 years older than me but it sure didn’t feel like it. I remember him saying that they’ll bury him with his V3i……..I hope he charged the batteries beforehand 🤣

• Like 3