Tone Breaks On The Nox 800

billdean

I shipped my 6000 out last week hoping to get the speaker shield done. Now I am forced to use my Nox 800 as my primary gold machine. I have been going over Steves tips for using it, and I can’t completely understand a certain portion of setting it up in the field 2 mode to hunt for nuggets by tone. I was hoping someone could help me understand it better. I have been using it with gold 1 and 2 and have know problems here.

Steve H said:  “I have suggested accepting everything, and then using the two tone mode to hunt by ear. If trash is minimal then set the tone break lower than normal, so that 0 and several negative numbers read as non-ferrous. This way you can have ground signals reading as low tones (and possibly at a lower volume) and signals from gold as higher tones. Again, this works well with both EQUINOX models.”

I have looked at the manual but I am still unsure what really to do here.  “If trash is minimal then set the tone break lower than normal, so that 0 and several negative numbers read as non-ferrous.”  I believe the tone break default are 1 and 20, at least for 2 tones. 

On 10/31/2022 at 1:57 PM, billdean said:

I shipped my 6000 out last week hoping to get the speaker shield done. Now I am forced to use my Nox 800 as my primary gold machine. I have been going over Steves tips for using it, and I can’t completely understand a certain portion of setting it up in the field 2 mode to hunt for nuggets by tone. I was hoping someone could help me understand it better. I have been using it with gold 1 and 2 and have know problems here.

I have looked at the manual but I am still unsure what really to do here.  “If trash is minimal then set the tone break lower than normal, so that 0 and several negative numbers read as non-ferrous.”  I believe the tone break default are 1 and 20, at least for 2 tones. 

First go to Field 2. Default Field 2 is 50 tones with -9 to +2 rejected so since you want two tones the tone break will be at +2. You want to lower that tone break to 0 or below according to your post. Next press the settings button until you see the speaker icon with musical notes next to it. Press the - button so the display will have a big 2 for two tones instead of 50. Changing the tone break is done by pressing the settings button one more time. You should see the check mark/X icon which is the Accept/Reject setting.  Hold down the settings button until you see line under the check mark/X icon. Adjust the tone break using the - or + buttons.

While you are in the Accept/Reject setting, you might want to go ahead and accept most or all of the iron range target IDs. Depending on your ground conditions, ground noise and many hot rocks will be -9 to -7 so you could accept everything else and then use the Horseshoe button to check iffy sounding targets that might have some intermittent -7 to -9 IDs.

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff……I am not really up to speed on the Nox but I think I am getting better with it. I have read and re-read the manual and I think it is finally sinking in! It’s not as easy as the monster for sure.

• Like 1