I hope that someone can help me out with a problem that I now have.

My hearing is getting bad due to constant ringing in the ears and I am unable to hear all the tones.

This has happened due to using a mini-sub for work all the time and the doctor tells me that it will only get worse.

I have my grandfathers 800 that I have been using and am having problems hearing the tones that I know was there before.

Soon I have to start taking a break from work or I will lose my hearing all together and I thought I would get back out there with the detector.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can do to be able to hear the tones, or do I just need to use the ID's on the display.

I can no longer hear low tones or real short tones and that is what bothers me, and I don't like wearing headphones because I want to be able to hear what is around me.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you, Caleb

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Valens Legacy said:

I hope that someone can help me out with a problem that I now have.

My hearing is getting bad due to constant ringing in the ears and I am unable to hear all the tones.

This has happened due to using a mini-sub for work all the time and the doctor tells me that it will only get worse.

I have my grandfathers 800 that I have been using and am having problems hearing the tones that I know was there before.

Soon I have to start taking a break from work or I will lose my hearing all together and I thought I would get back out there with the detector.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can do to be able to hear the tones, or do I just need to use the ID's on the display.

I can no longer hear low tones or real short tones and that is what bothers me, and I don't like wearing headphones because I want to be able to hear what is around me.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you, Caleb

Hey VL,

Over-ear headphones are out for me until the dead of winter after hunting season. I have been an advocate for on-ear headphones for a long time, especially these:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Bluetooth-Headphones-Multipoint-Connectivity/dp/B08QRQMLVY

20221101_065157.thumb.jpg.21d17e7a149da00a2cdaa0c09081c76d.jpg

SoundBlaster Jam V2 headphones.

They weigh almost nothing, cost just 40 bucks, they can get extremely loud, and I never have a problem hearing my environment. Never. I can talk while detecting. I have used them everywhere, at the beach, in the woods and in the fields. One day I heard someone shooting and found out he was shooting at me, he didn't know I was there. Luckily it was black powder so the rounds weren't making it that far.

I wrap the headband with a bit of self sticking cushion wrap tape and I can wear them all day without the slightest problem. The battery lasts 22 hours on one charge, they are USB C charging.

I cannot more highly recommend them. You might even be able to put them slightly forward of your ears for a bone-conduction effect.

To pair them out of the box, you may have do a reset on the Equinox to clear the pairing but usually you can turn them on, hit your Bluetooth button, then hang them on the detector and go do something for a few minutes. Once paired they almost never fail to connect.

To turn them on after pairing you press one side until they beep, and then turn the Equinox on after that. Nothing could be easier.

That's all I got, I've tried to get a couple of bone conduction headphone companies interested in the metal detecting market to no avail. Aptx-LL is going away, but these are still available.

If they don't work PM me and I'll buy them from you. I can always use a spare. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps bone conduction headphones  . I tested the BH01 bone conduction headphones on a Deus2 a few months ago and they worked very well ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Perhaps bone conduction headphones  . I tested the BH01 bone conduction headphones on a Deus2 a few months ago and they worked very well ...

I was gonna recommend them, but didn't know if there was an adapter to connect them to other detectors? They work well enough for me, and again they are loud. They only cost around $70.

The vibrations can be interpreted as well.

I don't like cables but the cable they have is "long enough". 👍 I've used them in the fields too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I was gonna recommend them, but didn't know if there was an adapter to connect them to other detectors? They work well enough for me, and again they are loud. They only cost around $70.

The vibrations can be interpreted as well.

I don't like cables but the cable they have is "long enough". 👍 I've used them in the fields too.

I dont know for the adapter ..

• Like 1

I have Tinnitus and hearing loss, which makes it difficult to hear low tones. I can hear higher tones fine, so I always adjust the pitch higher on all of my detectors that allow me to do so. You stated that you have trouble hearing low tones as well, so this may also work for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

...I always adjust the pitch higher on all of my detectors....

That was going to be my first suggestion.  ML Equinox 800 has 25 pitch settings so adjust to your taste.

Except in extremely thick trash I hunt with Recovery Speed = 4, which gives much faster/shorter beeps than RS = 3 -- I can't handle those but you might want to try them just to see for yourself.

For me the Sunray Pro Gold (standard, not CTX version or more recent version with 3.5 mm connector) sounds best among all the headphones I've tried (Garrett MS2, White's ProStar, ML80 being some of the others).  I assume all the Pro Golds have the same speaker but that might not be the case, particularly since the company has recently changed hands.  Too bad we no longer have many brick-and-mortar detector stores where a person can test drive....  Basically for me, the Pro Golds allow more subtle sounds to be heard with the Equinox (may not be the case on other detectors, though).  They also have the best external sound blocking among my many headsets and fit my head nicely -- not a guarantee for everyone or every headset.  I run them with ML volume setting 19 or 20 out of 25 but my hearing loss isn't so bad, particularly for my age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I like earbuds and wear them until it gets freezing outside. I can always hear everything around me and talk to people with them on. The problem is APTX-LL versions are getting hard to find. The ones I got from Amazon are no longer available, but I found these although I haven't used them.

https://a.co/d/eeKz7DH

Some people have had luck using Bluetooth 5 earbuds, but I've heard it's hit or miss finding some that work with the Nox.

• Thanks 1

I've given this matter some thought since I can only hear from my right side and may eventually lose that as well. I always use headphones but the bonephones may allow for situational awareness if they make them for the Nox. (?) The new Manticore will have a handle vibration mode and , I believe, some Noktas already do. They also used to make a vibrating adapter to plug into a headphone jack that you could place on your body somewhere to feel vibrations when a target was detected. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

I wish to thank everyone for these fine suggestions and will be ordering something soon.

I am still in the Gulf working due to the hurricane and things are starting to slow down enough for me to take some time off and let some of the other workers get some time in.

I am still in my early 20's and with what I have been doing I never knew that it could hurt my ears as bad as it has.

Using the mini-sub that we purchased last year has caused the most damage and I need to find a better way to use it and not damage my ears as much. I enjoy my line of work and would hate to give it up, so there is some things I have to do differently it looks like.

I still want to use the 800 as much as I can so I guess I am going to have to use headphones of some type.

Once again thank you all for your responses to my needs.

Caleb

• Like 8