I Did What I Said I'd Never Do

phrunt

19 hours ago, phrunt said:

the bullet looks like it's never been used? I know nothing about guns/bullets.

That is an unfired .22 long.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 5:01 PM, phrunt said:

I call it my XP D-Ace and my XP Deus.

Clever.  And it reminds me of something I thought about creating a new thread on; then changed my mind.  But I'll give a brief version here.

Tuesday on Discovery (cable) there was an episode of Beyond Oak Island in which Matty Blake goes to North Carolina with a "detector expert" from New England named Nikolina Bohr (think I spelled it right).  Anyone ever heard of her?  I didn't think so.  (They said she detects on Nantucket.)  Anyway, one of the things I like to do when watching these kinds of shows is to figure out what detectors they are using.  They're not always the lastest and greatest (oldest I've seen was an original Fisher Gold Bug from the 1990's).  So she has a detector with no visible control unit and a white eliptical coil.  Pretty easy to figure that one out, right?  (Well, not sure if it could be an XP ORX -- is the control module removable?)

Somewhere along the broadcast the narrator says (paraphrased):  "Nikolina is using an X D Deos."  WTF?  Maybe he read your post and got confused.  🤔  And later there is a sound bite where she says (again paraphrased) "The XP Deus Two is multifrequency."  OK, true, but...  I suspect someone just cut and pasted one of her interviews from many hours of taping.  She knows the difference but obviously neither the producers nor editors do (and probably don't care).  BTW, if you watched the YouTube trailer I posted you'll here another sound bite "2 billion in gold".  Another example of the producers taking a quote out-of-context, this time to snare more viewers, of course.

I'm tired of the constant "every TV treasure and gold show is fake" comments by posters here after watching only two or three of hundreds which is why I decided not to create a thread.  And BTW these things I mentioned weren't the worst inaccuracies, IMO.  Some of the episodes of this spinoff are top-notch such as two where they go out diving the Atocha wreck with Mel Fisher's grandson.  But even though I'm not among the dissers in general, they get really sloppy with some of these, figuring "who knows the difference?"  I do.

• Like 1

Yup, you can remove the controller off the shaft, I have a little leather pouch that has a belt clip on it I can use for it, or I can just leave it at home entirely and run the coil off the headphones.  It's quite a good design really for those that like lightweight detectors especially ones that don't cherry pick.  If you're good at hunting with tones and enjoy featherweight detectors and hunt for shallow targets in trash it'd be a good choice.  For prospecting I think it'd be good, as that's a tone type detecting method for me, it it makes a sound I dig so it suits that well. 

The problem is I rarely use a VLF for prospecting now, with the GPZ and 6000 now basically matching the VLF's for small gold capability while using even larger coils for ground coverage and giving better depth on everything else there is little need for a VLF anymore, other than as a pinpointer when using a larger coil to help recover the tiniest bits quickly. 

The time I use VLF's the most is creek detecting for nuggets and the Deus isn't good for that at all, it's better suited to the Nox.

• Like 2

Your Deus will work in creeks just fine with the antenna and a waterproof pouch. I would be very hesitant to use the HF coils with their battery inside the shaft.......The 9" X35 coil on 28kHz works really well however and won't miss much. The problem is the inconvenience of hooking all of those accessories up securely. It is much easier to just turn on and go with the Equinox or even better.....a Legend.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Clever.  And it reminds me of something I thought about creating a new thread on; then changed my mind.  But I'll give a brief version here.

Tuesday on Discovery (cable) there was an episode of Beyond Oak Island in which Matty Blake goes to North Carolina with a "detector expert" from New England named Nikolina Bohr (think I spelled it right).  Anyone ever heard of her?  I didn't think so.  (They said she detects on Nantucket.)  Anyway, one of the things I like to do when watching these kinds of shows is to figure out what detectors they are using.  They're not always the lastest and greatest (oldest I've seen was an original Fisher Gold Bug from the 1990's).  So she has a detector with no visible control unit and a white eliptical coil.  Pretty easy to figure that one out, right?  (Well, not sure if it could be an XP ORX -- is the control module removable?)

Somewhere along the broadcast the narrator says (paraphrased):  "Nikolina is using an X D Deos."  WTF?  Maybe he read your post and got confused.  🤔  And later there is a sound bite where she says (again paraphrased) "The XP Deus Two is multifrequency."  OK, true, but...  I suspect someone just cut and pasted one of her interviews from many hours of taping.  She knows the difference but obviously neither the producers nor editors do (and probably don't care).  BTW, if you watched the YouTube trailer I posted you'll here another sound bite "2 billion in gold".  Another example of the producers taking a quote out-of-context, this time to snare more viewers, of course.

I'm tired of the constant "every TV treasure and gold show is fake" comments by posters here after watching only two or three of hundreds which is why I decided not to create a thread.  And BTW these things I mentioned weren't the worst inaccuracies, IMO.  Some of the episodes of this spinoff are top-notch such as two where they go out diving the Atocha wreck with Mel Fisher's grandson.  But even though I'm not among the dissers in general, they get really sloppy with some of these, figuring "who knows the difference?"  I do.

I saw that too, GB, and my wife had to leave the room because I was yelling at the TV, "Thats' not a Deus 2! The Deus 2 doesn't even have a 9x5" elliptical coil! That's a Deus 1 or ORX! How is this person a detecting expert? WTF!?" 🥵 Then my wife comes back during the commercial and says, "Are you done? It's called eye-candy, dear. " 😏 I told her, "Well you may be smarter than me, but it doesn't make it right." 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1