First Key Date Coin

No pics? Nickels here get roasted. Lucky you got one you can read the date. Congrats

• Like 2

Same here, I'm lucky to get any details, and they are red. 😀20221019_190051.thumb.jpg.507215807a0656fc754b095aa20a45d8.jpg

Excellent find!

• Like 4

Thanks all. I need to go to the trouble of learning to post photos. I do not use a smart phone so I have to enlist my wife's help. She is afraid my grubby finds will somehow damage her phone.

• Haha 3
  • Oh my! 1

56 minutes ago, JCR said:

Let's see if this posting photos thing works.

These are some finds form this past weekend from the same site. I will photo the 1886 V & post it also.

Good pics (and finds), but you're not getting my thumbs up until I see that 1886 nickel! 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, JCR said:

Thanks all. I need to go to the trouble of learning to post photos. I do not use a smart phone ...

I do not use a smartphone too , I always use a digital camera for my detecting pics . You will do better pics with a camera than with a smartphone, especially in low light  ... I use a sony RX100 mk1  

• Like 3

@palzynski You are right. I came home after work and did my best to photograph the 1886 Nickle with my wife's I Phone. I could not get a good close up focus. I guess the toning of the coin leaves little contrast. We talked about an adapter lens that is available as an accessory, so now I have an idea for a Christmas present!  After 45 years together she is kind of hard to buy for.

@GB_Amateur  I will get your Like at some point by posting a decent photo.  I'm having technical difficulties and all that.

Thanks to all for the response.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JCR said:

@palzynski You are right. I came home after work and did my best to photograph the 1886 Nickle with my wife's I Phone. I could not get a good close up focus. I guess the toning of the coin leaves little contrast.

You could not get a good focus because probably you were below the iphone minimum autofocus distance . All the cameras and smartphones have a minimum focus distance . It is usually written on the camera lens side . 

For example the minimum focus distances for my Sony RX100 are 10,4cm and 37,1cm .   10,4 when the zoom is at the minimum ad 37,1 at the max , look at the pic below . .  Then I need to be at least 10,4cm further from the target to get a correct focus ( impossible to focus if the target is closer than 10,4cm with this camera ) . I dont know this distance for an iphone ..

Capture.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2