Manticore November

midalake

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Minelab are very good at making VLF coils, aside from the coil ear issues they're the best coils for the Equinox

Kevin Hoagland who was formerly with Minelab and who has known Bruce Candy for decades told me a few weeks ago he has never used any aftermarket coils for his Minelabs (PI and VLF).  He believes they are best suited to take advantage of the Minelab detectors.  This is based upon his many years of testing and development for Minelab so maybe you don't need to hold your breath for other coils.

22 hours ago, phrunt said:

I wonder if they'll let Coiltek make coils for it, if they do it's going to be roles reversed, Coiltek won't need to make their 10x5" for it as it basically comes with that as a standard option with the 9x5.5 so it would be crazy to do a 10x5", they'd need to make a 6" alternative as that's what it will be missing sadly.  Perhaps a nice little 5" round solid could come our way.

I'm still scratching my head over the (what was a long awaited) release of the three Coiltek NOX coils.  One has been a smash hit although if ML had provided the padlock keys a couple years earlier Coiltek would have done better.  (OK, ML isn't in business to help out its accessory partners, but imagine the bad PR they've generated for a company otherwise known as being great at it....??!!  :laugh:

That 15" round DD in particular has me baffled.  Didn't they know ML released a 12"x15" DD two years prior?  And I wonder if the 9"x14" is the heaviest IB/VLF coil for its size ever made.  Give them the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't aimed at land hunters but with the Equinox's limited depth rating and the number of water ingress failures reported, they were stepping into a swamp (pun intended) with that one.

As I get more 'seasoned' in my detecting experience, I've realized that I've wasted enough money on accessory coils to afford a Deus 2 *and* a Manticore.  For an IB/VLF I only need two coils -- a medium sized (e.g. 11" round) DD and a small size (either 5-6" round, preferably concentric but I'll take DD if that's all I can get or a ~5"x~10" DD, not both).  The medium coil is for most of my detecting (no worse than moderately trashed coin and relic sites) and the smaller coil for trashy sites and native gold.

I think the reason we won't see any non-Minelab coils for the Manticore, probably for a long time, is because they have new patents on the newly redesigned coils, which were developed to combat EMI. This will become more apparent when we get closer looks at the coils when they're in the hands of owners and also when the inevitable coil x-rays show up online. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

As I get more 'seasoned' in my detecting experience, I've realized that I've wasted enough money on accessory coils to afford a Deus 2 *and* a Manticore.

Coils are EXPESIVE!!  I see some around $400.  There are probably others that are even more expensive.  I noticed the extra coils on the Legend are only a little over $100.  I'm not sure what that says but it says something.  I probably won't get any extra coils for the Manticore unless I have some specific reason I think it is going to help me find a lot more targets somewhere.

Does the Manticore 8x5.5in coil come out when the unit is realeased like the 6in round was available from the start for the Equinox?  Or are we stuck with the stock 11in coil until ML manufactures the 8x5.5 at a later date?

Since I like to swing smaller coils in general, I might wait until the small elliptical coil is out before getting a Manticore.  I hope the wait isn't terribly long.

• Like 1

I'm the other way around....I want the Manitcore with a HUGE coil.....the bigger the better if it will still have good sensitivity on small targets. I use the 12 X 15 coil on my Nox almost exclusively. There are a few target rich places where I need a smaller coil, but, I've had little problem with target separation. Hopefully there will be a Manticore package that will give me the option of a big coil, or, I'll be on the sidelines until they do. I made that mistake already when I got the D2......still waiting on that promised big coil.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, strick said:

Sources have stated release is imminent and just days away 😁

strick

What....365 days? 🤔

• Haha 2

i for 1 am waiting for my Manticore  & im excited about the Manticore 8x5.5in coil

i think it will be a better coil than the 6 inch (more ground coverage & the same depth & good for poking around in washes & rocks , ill be using it for prospecting here in n Arizona

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cudamark said:

What....365 days? 🤔

I've been reading some old posts from when the Equinox was released and it doesn't look good for the Manticore.   Minelab even made some release announcements in December 2017 about "coming soon".  Then they said shipping by late January.  Then they announced they were shipping detectors on February 2nd.  But I think it was late February before your normal Joe pre-order saw his Equinox.  :blush:

On 11/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, phrunt said:

I wonder if they'll let Coiltek make coils for it, if they do it's going to be roles reversed, Coiltek won't need to make their 10x5" for it as it basically comes with that as a standard option with the 9x5.5 so it would be crazy to do a 10x5", they'd need to make a 6" alternative as that's what it will be missing sadly.  Perhaps a nice little 5" 

I thought they said the smaller coil will be 5x8?   I'm sure I heard the engineer say that on a video.  

😞

pan widget