XP Orx Complex Simplicity

wagonwx

58 minutes ago, wagonwx said:

Anybody own an orx ?Can you please give it's attributes.

For me it is a no nonsense detector with excellent recovery speed and separation, a very clean and clear audio, selectable frequency and wireless everything.

I have one with the high frequency elliptical coil. I love the light weight and compact size. I hunt mostly small gold nuggets in really bad ground and use #2 Fine Gold mode. It works well for me! Jim

Here's Steve opinion from his guide on Gold detectors:

XP ORX ($599, 14, 28, 56, 80 kHz) - The XP ORX emphasizes gold prospecting and coin detecting in the promotional material. The XP ORX appears to be a version of the "Africa only" Depar DPR 600 made for sales in Europe, the U.S., and elsewhere. The ORX has been refined from that early effort by the addition of the ability to use the new X35 coils.

Steve's Opinion - The XP ORX went through some teething pains with coils before settling into its final role as XPs gold nugget detector. I think the ORX is a great little nugget hunter personally (I love the compact design), but it seems to be overlooked my most serious prospectors, and getting more attention as a low cost alternative to the XP Deus for coin and relic detecting. The new lower price makes the ORX a serious contender, a big step up in capability from the Fisher 19 kHz models above, and a little less money than the Garrett 24K below. Personally, this is the only detector that I personally would consider as an alternative to the 24K.

• Like 4

If you need the lightest weight possible gold prospecting VLF, especially for really small gold, the ORX fits that bill perfectly for most soil conditions using its gold modes with the HF coils above 50 kHz. Great display with big numbers, iron probability bar, mineralization bar and easy to do ground grab. It also has the ability to hunt in its gold modes with 2 tones by using the discrimination IAR set on 1 or above and turning iron volume ON. Target separation even on partially masked small nuggets is really good. So is its ground handling considering it is single frequency.

That same setup with disc. IAR on 1 or more and iron volume ON, makes the ORX a very capable 2 tone relic hunter using its Gold modes also.

• Like 3

I may have to trade my Deus 2 for an ORX. I very rarely use a VLF nugget detector, so having one as compact and lightweight as possible would be nice. That makes it handier to just toss in my kit as a backup for my PI, as an alternative for chasing the tiny bits, and even to use as a pinpointer alongside the PI. The Deus 2 is a nice detector, but for what I do is coming up short. It is simply no match for the elliptical HF coil when it comes to chasing tiny gold, and frankly I think the ORX will do as well or even better at separating dense ferrous from non-ferrous, for those times I may want it to double as a relic hunting detector. It really is a genuine bargain at the new lower price.

xp-orx.jpg
xp-orx-controls.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I may have to trade my Deus 2 for an ORX. I very rarely use a VLF nugget detector, so having one as compact and lightweight as possible would be nice.

I go back and forth with this question. I still have my ORX with 9" round HF and I still have my Deus 2 with 9" FMF. 

If I just compare the two using the ORX gold modes and using Deus 2 Mono, which the way I understand it is a facsimile of Deus 1 Fast, I get very similar results using Deus 2 Mono with Pitch tones and disc set at minimum of -6.4.

Using Deus 2 Mono, most of the really small sub .1 gram or smaller gold that is being adversely effected target ID wise by iron mineralization will hit between -4 and -6.4 in my area. Small bits of tin hit in the -4 to -2 ID area and most smaller nails come in at -1 to +3. So running disc at -6.4 makes all targets just have a normal VCO tone with no hint of an iron target except for double hits on shallower elongated iron and some slightly mushy hits on tin. Run disc up to +1 to catch the nails and tin with an iron tone......smaller gold will also potentially have iron tones. The same happens with the ORX. If I run disc IAR above 0, small iron and tin begins to break up with mixed iron grunt and VCO audio depending on whether I have iron volume ON. However, the really small .1 gram or smaller gold will be disced out unless I turn the really loud (no volume adjustment) iron tone ON. 

With Deus 2 Mono I also have the option of using Full Tones. With disc on -6.4 I get everything sounding as it should depending on target ID. I also have the Square Wave or PWM tone option which can make Pitch tones and Full Tones have more definition and modulation if I need it.

Deus 2 also has FMF Sensitive FT as a stock program.....with a little tweaking Sensitive Full Tones will slightly out perform FMF Goldfield at least in my area......and both Sensitive programs do very well in high iron mineralization.

ORX does not have Full tones or Pitch tones and it doesn't have a Square Wave/PWM option. It also does not have adjustable iron tone volume control.

Things to think about, especially if XP improve FMF Goldfield on Deus 2 or add a Mono Goldfield option. Conversely, what if XP updates the ORX with Pitch or Full tone audio and iron tone volume adjustments?????

• Like 3

I just went the Deus 1 for the same reason, a nice lightweight prospecting detector that shrinks down to backpack, it all pops apart so easily with the control box popping off the shaft and the cordless coil coming off the shaft in seconds, it's perfect for a pinpointer or VLF to complement the big guns and throw into a backpack, even a quite small backpack is no problem.  I'm surprised how sensitive that 9.5 x 5" HF coil is too, it's better than I expected it would be.  I was even able to turn one detector into 2 by using an old spare Ace shaft and WS4 headphones for the controlling of the coil. I call it my Dace

67371336_myxpdeus.jpg.0525b5da1a73a2d0d1556e4fca353605.jpg

The biggest problem I see so far is it falls over more than a Gold Monster if that's even possible, whoever designed the shaft didn't consider that the arm cuff feet need to reach the ground, and they don't so it rests on the plastic below the handle with the feet up in the air.  Weird.   This photo is just for show, really it's so wobbly in use I just lay it on it's side.  It's like it was designed for coils with a center coil mount and they moved the mount to the rear of the coil.

It's going to be perfect being so light for detecting stuff like this, where your detector is up above your head most of the time, I've been detecting it with the GPZ and 8" coil and even that gets hard work, the GPX 6000 was no better, still feels heavy holding it up in the air for hours detecting walls like this, the XP will be near weightless doing it.

IMG_20220430_151935.thumb.jpg.a773898d7ea924be7ae9f5ed4a23d6c3.jpg

One of my biggest nuggets came from very near this photo.

• Like 4

Your photo appears to show the Deus mounted on one of the newer super lightweight shafts that comes stock with the ORX and it has one piece plastic construction for the upper shaft/arm cuff. Directly below the hand grip the area that touches the ground is actually flat. On Deus 1 and Deus 2 shafts that flat area on the stock ORX shaft is rounded with 2 phillips head screws and the back end of the arm cuff area is even higher off the ground and it will topple over in a light breeze.

For that glacier remnant cut in your second photo, you can literally remove the coil/lower stem, put the rest of the detector down and just detect with it like using a 50 or 80 kHz Nokta Pulse Dive.....talk about lightweight.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I go back and forth with this question. I still have my ORX with 9" round HF and I still have my Deus 2 with 9" FMF. 

If I just compare the two using the ORX gold modes and using Deus 2 Mono, which the way I understand it is a facsimile of Deus 1 Fast, I get very similar results using Deus 2 Mono with Pitch tones and disc set at minimum of -6.4.

Using Deus 2 Mono, most of the really small sub .1 gram or smaller gold that is being adversely effected target ID wise by iron mineralization will hit between -4 and -6.4 in my area. Small bits of tin hit in the -4 to -2 ID area and most smaller nails come in at -1 to +3. So running disc at -6.4 makes all targets just have a normal VCO tone with no hint of an iron target except for double hits on shallower elongated iron and some slightly mushy hits on tin. Run disc up to +1 to catch the nails and tin with an iron tone......smaller gold will also potentially have iron tones. The same happens with the ORX. If I run disc IAR above 0, small iron and tin begins to break up with mixed iron grunt and VCO audio depending on whether I have iron volume ON. However, the really small .1 gram or smaller gold will be disced out unless I turn the really loud (no volume adjustment) iron tone ON. 

With Deus 2 Mono I also have the option of using Full Tones. With disc on -6.4 I get everything sounding as it should depending on target ID. I also have the Square Wave or PWM tone option which can make Pitch tones and Full Tones have more definition and modulation if I need it.

Deus 2 also has FMF Sensitive FT as a stock program.....with a little tweaking Sensitive Full Tones will slightly out perform FMF Goldfield at least in my area......and both Sensitive programs do very well in high iron mineralization.

ORX does not have Full tones or Pitch tones and it doesn't have a Square Wave/PWM option. It also does not have adjustable iron tone volume control.

Things to think about, especially if XP improve FMF Goldfield on Deus 2 or add a Mono Goldfield option. Conversely, what if XP updates the ORX with Pitch or Full tone audio and iron tone volume adjustments?????

Me, I guess I just want that HF elliptical running at 81 kHz, it's as simple as that. :smile:

xp-deus-v4-5x10-elliptical-hf-coil.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

... The biggest problem I see so far is it falls over more than a Gold Monster if that's even possible, whoever designed the shaft didn't consider that the arm cuff feet need to reach the ground, and they don't so it rests on the plastic below the handle with the feet up in the air.  Weird.  ..

I guess they ve designed the Deus shafts so that they are compatible with the older Goldmaxx and Gmaxx detectors which can be mounted at the rear  , see pic below. 

Now it is time for XP to design a new arm cuff knowing that these detectors are outdated now with the Deus1 and now the Deus2 ... 

I will talk about this with my dealer , so that XP is informed about this issue ..

Capture.PNG

• Like 2