1000+ Scoops

Wow! Scary story and good lesson, especially, for night hunters. I love those target rich hunts - congrats!

• Thanks 1

Fantastic hunting and hope that you didn't get hurt from your fall.

I would not know what to do with a hunt like that, as I go to a lot of old buildings near me.

Good luck on your next hunt and lets see if you can double it next time.

• Oh my! 1

Nice work Mitchel... that’s a lot of digging. When your in a good patch you gotta take advantage of it while you can.  I’m sure you will have a few more good days before it all gets covered up...and you will find that patch of gold. 

Strick

• Thanks 1

Wow! It looks like you fell into a ring of fire!... Well a hot spot anyway. Was it chance or fate? Either way, glad you weren't hurt and you were certainly rewarded for all your hard work. Congrats and well done!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Joe D. said:

(There's a) very real threat of a collapse, that can quickly kill you, hunting next to them! It happened to someone here recently that was taking sunrise pictures! He was later found suffocated, with only his legs sticking out!!

Reading Mitchel's detailed chronicle I wondered about the dangers.  I've heard of rogue waves in the open ocean.  Do those kind of things ever catch beach goers (including detectorists) unexpectedly in an otherwise calm sea?

Mitchel, your report leaves me with mixed feelings -- all those 'good' targets in near ideal detecting conditions and hardly any real loot to show for it.  Well, these are the kinds of days that make us appreciate the few when we hit a grand slam.  You get an A+ for perseverance.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work Mitchel... that’s a lot of digging. When your in a good patch you gotta take advantage of it while you can.  I’m sure you will have a few more good days before it all gets covered up...and you will find that patch of gold. 

Strick

This was from last night.  No gold patch yet.  I was looking for it and only dug a few of the coins ($8.31) I heard because they were coin numbers in a jewelry spot.  Some parts of your patch you have to dig it all.  I got tired and disappointed a bit with my 'go to' spot for gold.

IMG_20221104_085249_423[1].jpg

IMG_20221104_091610_125[1].jpg

• Like 8

And now for some completely useless information.

I have collected all of the coins and dated them.  These were the coins I found from the two nights on the same beach.  There were just a couple of dry sand coins in the mix.  I only counted copper pennies because so many dates could not be read on the zincs.

The data shows that silver coins are very, very rare.  There were not any found on these two nights.  There were only two coins found dated before 64!

These counts don't give a real indication as to when they were lost other than the most recents.  You can't lose a coin in 1970 on the beach if its date is 2020.

Am I missing a pattern here?

1991389573_IMG_20221105_110612_3151.thumb.jpg.8caded26e0f2c05a73b2833f4eafd22b.jpg

• Oh my! 1

6 hours ago, klunker said:

Wasn't it kind of creepy finding the human foot shown in your last photo?

I find that foot often in my photos so it isn't creepy any more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2