Coil Cover Or No Coil Cover?

CPT_GhostLight

A recent discussion in another thread just made a question pop into my head. How necessary is a coil cover? Now I know it protects the bottom of the coil and I think use is recommended by XP to maintain the warranty coverage and that's reason enough right there, but with the epoxy fill under the coil is the cover a necessity? On grass, it doesn't seem like there's any need for it. On sand it maybe a different story and on the dry hard dirt of mining areas and ghost towns, I can see using it.

I remove the coil cover and clean regularly, and it's no big deal, but with all the stuff that collects in there, I sometimes wonder if it would be better to run without it. I would think that black sand or magnetite collecting in the cover could affect detecting performance.

Does anyone use their Deus without a coil cover on it and if so, have you noticed any wear on the coil bottom?

• Like 1

I have never used coil covers since I have been detecting ( 23 years - 15 with XP ), this to save weight . For me saving 50g is very important especially at the bottom end of the shaft .

Never had a pb with a XP coil during 15 years...  I know that I would have no warranty if I had a pb , but the XP coils are very robust and the few troubles that I had were more with the headphones than with the coils ..

However I am an inland user with no rocks around in my area , and it might be an other story on rocky areas , or for beach hunting on the sand ..   

It all depends were you use your machine I think ...

• Like 2

I have never used coil covers for many years on any of my detectors, including the Deus and Deus 2.  I have never had a problem caused by not using a coil cover.  I am careful not to scrub the ground with the coil, and where I hunt is mostly grass or wood chips.  I do carry a coil cover in my vehicle, so in case I am going somewhere where it is really rocky, or to the beach, I can quickly put it on the coil.

• Like 2

I need a coil cover for the wooded colonial homesites I hunt here in New England. Not so much to protect the bottom of the coil but more so to protect the edge of the coil from abrasions from the inevitable collisions with rocks and trees. I have worn out coil covers.

• Like 2

I've got a couple of dings in my coil cover that probably would have been in the coil. I'm not a fan of how it fills up with sand and debris, and worse that I have to get the charging clip to go over it, but it's easy enough to get off and on.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of coil covers and have never used them.  I Am however using one on my deus 2 since I hunt the beach often but I really hate how easy it fills up with sand.  So I may stop using it.   Also I use an aftermarket charging clip so a cover is not needed for charging.  

• Like 3

The Deus ll warranty on the coils say........ cover must be used at all times. 
Coil warranty is void if used without cover or a damaged cover.

• Like 1

A few pics of my D2 /D1 coils after use without coil cover , there are slight scratches on the surface but no noticeable wear , not aesthetic but it has no effect on the coil performance  . As I said my priority is to save weight and I accept to take the risk of loosing the warranty .   Just a personal choice between pros and cons ...

D2 9" coil after 40 hours - a few light scratches :

DSC00293.JPG

D1 9X6 coil after 40 hours :

DSC00294.JPG

My slightly 🙂 modified coil covers for easier mounting/unmounting :

DSC00298.JPG

The coils are ready for charging ...

DSC00297.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:51 PM, basstrackerman said:

I've never been a fan of coil covers and have never used them.  I Am however using one on my deus 2 since I hunt the beach often but I really hate how easy it fills up with sand.  So I may stop using it.   Also I use an aftermarket charging clip so a cover is not needed for charging.  

I am with you>Hate using it at the beach. Will try to run without this season. 

• Like 3