Coil Cover Or No Coil Cover?

CPT_GhostLight

I hate them too - but they've safed my coil a lot of times hitting stones. Would be cool, if they were only surrounding the edge / outer ring - totally sufficiant imho. Less weight + no sand problems on the beach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I hate them too - but they've safed my coil a lot of times hitting stones. Would be cool, if they were only surrounding the edge / outer ring - totally sufficiant imho. Less weight + no sand problems on the beach.

Personally I cannot stand coil covers not so much because of the slightly added weight but do to the fact  that I hunt in very hot soil here in Northern California and in my opinion the dust that constantly collects in the cover does affect performance especially when hunting in the rain and it turns to mud.I am really hard on my equipment and i hunt in very rough terrain so my soloution to protecting the vulnerable coil edges from rocks and so forth is wrapping the coil edge with Coilteks cloth coil tape.You will need to purchase an after market charging clip from Doodads for the D1 and D2 but lets face it the factory clips from XP are junk.As for the bottom of the coils they are tough and resilient and hold up however they do wear and scratch therefore voiding the warranty.But how often do coils fail? And is it worth the risk?

• Like 1

That's a good point, Doc. The last time I removed the coil cover to clean it out I noticed that my coil bottom does have scratches from the sand and dirt that gets in there. They're not deep scratches but definitely noticeable. So it might not make a big difference just to leave it off. Something to think about. 🤔

• Like 2

Absolutely worth the risk. I’m taking my cover off. If you hunt 200 days a year with an average hunt of 5 hours: that’s a 1.99 a hunt or .39 an hour if the coil last a year. If it last 2 years then .99 a day or 18.5 cents an hour. I find enough sinkers to cover that cost. I’m not trying to have a pristine deus2 a year from now anyway. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cancelled Airline Guy said:

Absolutely worth the risk. I’m taking my cover off. If you hunt 200 days a year with an average hunt of 5 hours: that’s a 1.99 a hunt or .39 an hour if the coil last a year. If it last 2 years then .99 a day or 18.5 cents an hour. I find enough sinkers to cover that cost. I’m not trying to have a pristine deus2 a year from now anyway. 

All good points.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 8:41 AM, Cancelled Airline Guy said:

What’s the story with epoxy on the coil like people did with Excals and others? 

The problem is the battery and wireless compartment covers on the bottom of the coil. These are serviceable areas and cannot be covered in epoxy.
One can epoxy to these covers. I will be doing that shortly and giving it a try. 

• Like 1

I don't hate my coil covers and haven't tried hunting without them yet. But I do clean a lot of dirt, sand, and other debris out of them, and in my mineralized soil, I have always wondered if that can affect coil performance.

Maybe if the coil covers had an open lattice design on the bottom it would still protect the coil and allow the dirt, sand, and debris to fall out... hmmmm.... 😏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I don't hate my coil covers and haven't tried hunting without them yet. But I do clean a lot of dirt, sand, and other debris out of them, and in my mineralized soil, I have always wondered if that can affect coil performance.

Maybe if the coil covers had an open lattice design on the bottom it would still protect the coil and allow the dirt, sand, and debris to fall out... hmmmm.... 😏

Interesting idea.

• Like 1