Buttons And Coins - A "reale" Blast

9 hours ago, JCR said:

Thanks for all your enjoyable posts.

Thank you! I really like seeing what comes out of the ground from others myself, and appreciate all those who take the time to do it. πŸ™‚ History is important. So is illustrating what one can find to the newer hobbyists. Granted you have to know where to find this sort of stuff, or at least be lucky enough to be allowed to look for it in a place that has potential. πŸ™‚

• Like 2

9 hours ago, abenson said:

Nice bunch of finds. Congratulations on the cut silver!

Thanks! At first I didn't think there would be much in this little field, but thanks to the hard work and testing that people (like you) contribute to this forum, I am becoming more proficient at finding the better stuff despite the environment. Someone has to be the end result πŸ˜€

So my hat is off to the field testers, the air testers, the theorists, and those who go through the arduous task of creating videos. πŸ‘It all comes from here. This is my way of giving back.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice work 350...thats a lot of round metal in those pics..theres gonna be a full sized reale in there somewhere...your on a good spot hoping you find one!

strick

Thanks. My first hunts in this little spot (it's a small part of a 1000 acre property) didn't produce much but a few shotgun shells and buckshot. πŸ˜€

Apparently this field was used for something, there is no verbal history despite the landowner's family having owned it for over 250 years. The descendants still manage it. Luckily no one thought to hit the spots I am visiting, so I'm getting a wealth of experience with great returns.

A wide range of stuff is coming up indicating there was a dwelling here, but no topographic or lidar evidence supports that. I dread visiting the county records to avoid undue and unwanted attention, but hundreds of people drive by on the highway and see me there.

Maybe if I can find myself a cool rock like you have, I'll find even more impressive relics. 🀣 Problem is there aren't any large rocks here. πŸ™„ Imported marble? πŸ€”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Maybe if I can find myself a cool rock like you have, I'll find even more impressive relics. 🀣 Problem is there aren't any large rocks here. πŸ™„ Imported marble? πŸ€”

i've got a few extra rocks I can mail you one if you like lol...

strickΒ 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, strick said:

i've got a few extra rocks I can mail you one if you like lol...

strickΒ 

Haha, the shipping would be insane. 🀣

Thanks, but I'll probably raid an old Cordoba at a local junkyard for some of that legendary Corinthian leather. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Apparently this field was used for something, there is no verbal history despite the landowner's family having owned it for over 250 years. The descendants still manage it. Luckily no one thought to hit the spots I am visiting, so I'm getting a wealth of experience with great returns.

A wide range of stuff is coming up indicating there was a dwelling here, but no topographic or lidar evidence supports that. I dread visiting the county records to avoid undue and unwanted attention, but hundreds of people drive by on the highway and see me there.

Since you are in an area that was settled 3 1/2 centuries ago, just imagine all that might have been there / gone on in those early years that you will never find documentation for.Β  I know you like history (so do I) but if digging too deep rocks the boat, are you going to gain anything?Β  Fact is you are uncovering (pun?) the history yourself.Β  In my area the USGS maps only go back to around the turn of the century and the aerial photos to the 1950's.Β  You are already good (and getting better) at determining the human habitat locations with your detector.

That one button seems to have an impressive amount of gilding.Β  Is it recent (I doubt it)?Β  Extra thick gold layer compared to typical?

I know you are careful cleaning your finds.Β  Is this your first USA Large Cent?Β  I've come to realize (with a bit of 'reserach' as well as plain old experience) that of the copper alloys, pure copper (our Large Cents and Half Cents) are the most vulnerable to ground chemicals.Β  Next worse are brass (zinc alloyed with the copper, but no tin).Β  Best(?) among your high copper content USA coins are those that contain tin (by definition -- bronze).Β  Those copper alloys with nickel may be even better than bronze, although they can take a beating, too.Β  The bronze composition is why our Indian Heads come out better than a lot of our Lincolns even though they are older.Β  Back to your Large Cent, be extremely careful with it.Β  I screwed up using water and a tooth brush on my first (and still only) LC.Β  The details can literally be destroyed by something as simple as that.Β  (kac has brought this up more than once so credit to him.)

You've come a long way in the couple years you've been detecting and showing your finds here (and your presentation is always top notch).

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

That one button seems to have an impressive amount of gilding.Β  Is it recent (I doubt it)?Β  Extra thick gold layer compared to typical?

I think it was thickly plated, the back is in much better shape than the front.20221105_093045.thumb.jpg.caf30ec990a2ff8190c46605536c2c71.jpg

Used the lemon juice method Cal_Cobra recommended to get more out of the remaining plate, gently with a swab. Works well! The back says "Extra Rich RR". The other buttons have "Colour" on them, and one has a small amount of plate left, another has a bit of silver. I'm assuming they are all similar in age due to proximity.

I'm thinking this was a gathering spot of some sort, I've found a lot of small drawer pulls here, indicating there was sales activity, maybe a farmers' market of sorts. Or, there was a "staff" house. There is a surviving one a little further up the roadΒ 

I have a lidar image of a possible foundation in the woods near the main house, an upcoming adventure after this lovely warming trend stops bringing out the bugs. πŸ™„ Got a tick on my arm the other day, and saw this yesterday.20221104_161607.thumb.jpg.1002fd55d04d0bbfeea04b888f278bc8.jpg

I left my Carpenter bee traps out a little longer this year. 😡

41 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Is this your first USA Large Cent?

This is probably my fourth now, I'm not cleaning them as much any more because I'm afraid of losing detail. I only rinsed it, no soap no brush. I did get a couple this year with dates. The corrosion will continue though, won't it? There really isn't a perfect way to preserve them as yet, at least I haven't found it. Some methods destroy, some change the color. 😡 Toothpicking seems to be pretty good, and I have had some luck with Andre Pencils. Silver gets sprayed with "Foo Foo Juice", an amusing spray bottle for distilled water from the Hoover Boys. πŸ˜€ Sometimes I will use Wrights silver cream because it is gentle and leaves a preservative wax behind.Β 

I may try to expose the date on this one because it looks like a good one, but 😳

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence and complement.Β  πŸ‘ I do believe that I am improving, and I'm not posting so much if I don't find anything interesting, but there is a lot of interesting stuff here. Getting thumped in the head helps πŸ˜€ Nothing ventured, nothing gained 🀣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

The corrosion will continue though, won't it?

That I don't know.Β  Iron will deteriorate in air -- I've seen that myself with an old axehead I found in the California forest, likely dropped/tossed by a lumberjack in the late 1890's.Β  When treasure wreck salvagers bring up relics (and probably silver coins), they keep them in saltwater until they can be properly stabilized.Β  But copper and its alloys from the (non-salt) ground?Β  I would guess not.Β  I wish we had a chemist member here....

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I may try to expose the date on this one because it looks like a good one, but 😳

I think your toothpick method will help.Β  Angled incident light can show details that face-on viewing doesn't.Β  (You likely know this already.Β  Others who read these pages may not.)Β  Compare what you can see of the date with photos online.Β  That helps refute or confirm.Β  And as always, have fun investigating!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another incredible hunt, F350, well done and congrats on the cut silver! You are on some great history there and I love seeing what you discover in your fields. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Another incredible hunt, F350, well done and congrats on the cut silver! You are on some great history there and I love seeing what you discover in your fields. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Cap'n, it's more hard work than good when I've already been through a place, slower and more precise. πŸ˜€ I was using a hot General mod and confirming with Relic. Just bought the 11" coil so I may go over a lot of this again after more rain. I may even go nuts and get the 13x11 after I get a CF shaft. Seems to me the D2 is worth it! What I really want is a 10x5 tho. 🀬

Because of the lack of any trash but iron it was pretty much dig all the good stuff. I probably should dig some of the targets that seem to be falsing iron but I'll be going back. Only got through half the field, as I get closer to the road there may be more but it will involve digging and analyzing more. In the first 50 feet or so there is a lot of can slaw and foil from stuff thrown out of cars. I got the IHP and small gold button about 40 feet from where I parked.

I did end up digging a very small amount of false iron, a square nail or two and a hoof nail. There could have been a barn or home there.

• Like 3