Buttons And Coins - A "reale" Blast

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

.... Just bought the 11" coil so I may go over a lot of this again after more rain....

Looking fwd for your results with the 11" coil in this area. In theory you should find a few deep targets that the 9" has missed ... I am interested because I plan to buy a 11" coil too ... 🙂 thx ...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Looking fwd for your results with the 11" coil in this area. In theory you should find a few deep targets that the 9" has missed ... I am interested because I plan to buy a 11" coil too ... 🙂 thx ...

I will most certainly sing the praises or play the funeral dirge for the 11" when I get a chance to use it, I suspect soon. 😀 I could go out every day but married life even in retirement requires a certain amount of decorum, and a few gold rings never hurt 🤣

Recently read a blurb by Steve H that made a lot of sense regarding those "falsing signals" that many of us reject, and I am guilty of it:

"The same really applies to all the VLF users that have no idea how many of those ferrous targets they passed on are really not ferrous at all. As bad as VLF discrimination is in bad ground, PI is even worse. Discrimination Sucks."

Yikes. 🤣

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Dang Bob, you’ve earned a “Hell Yeah” for this hunt!!   Nice finds!

Thanks! Always appreciate a "Hell Yeah" from the more experienced. 🙂 When you post I always pay attention.

As I've written (probably ad nauseum) before about the Deus 2, it's really beginning to feel like a precision instrument, as much as my Equinox is pillage dynamite. 😀 It was a long learning curve with the Equinox, and not much different with the D2. I'm beginning to feel like I'm getting "good". Only beginning, tho. 🤔

• Like 3

I carefully cleaned up the large cent today with a toothpick and an Andre steel wool pencil. I can almost say for sure it's a Draped Bust large cent.20221109_094824.thumb.jpg.03c6b9529c916de60f8c6c45e0f8ff95.jpg20221109_095620.thumb.jpg.12e2473576b2d96faf5735e633734763.jpg20221109_094854.thumb.jpg.5ff38f67a9481505f27c2437b50411fa.jpg

I don't see any evidence of a staff or cap, and the back spears to have the later wreath. Unfortunately the date just isn't visible. 😵

1c-1797-S-135o.thumb.jpg.80aa9f526404f8a58d2c7db21a645c42.jpg

• Like 3

Would you explain the three photos of the find?

2 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Would you explain the three photos of the find?

Sure! First is a straight on shot of the obverse with a flashlight sidelight, second is a bit lower angle at high resolution sidelighted, third is the reverse.

• Like 1

Tough to tell from photos.  You're in a better position to ID, being able to rotate, change lighting, etc.  I think the reverse side photo in your initial post shows better detail than photo #3 from today.

I had similar experience with the 1803 Draped Bust I found.  It's in better shape than yours but still takes a lot of careful viewing and even then I wonder if I'm imagining some of the detail.  Still fun, though.

• Like 1