Need Help To Detect Gold Bars 4-6 Feet Deep

Wouldn’t a 2-box detector like the Fischer Gemini-3 be a viable option for this type of detecting?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Quicksilver said:

I can’t help but to call B.S. on the 4 to 6 feet deep part of this story. Unless the guy owned a hoe or some type of equipment.

Also bringing in 2 feet of topsoil for landscaping? That’s over 800 yards to cover 1/4 acre...which is a lot of truck loads.  the story sounds exaggerated. I’d try with a detector first. 

Strick

• Like 4

7 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Wouldn’t a 2-box detector like the Fischer Gemini-3 be a viable option for this type of detecting?

There are 3 other 2 box style detectors around besides the Fisher: The White's TM808, the Discovery TF-900, and the Garrett GTI2500 with Depth Multiplier.

https://www.metaldetector.com/whites-tm-808-metal-detector

http://www.cnnn.com/discovery/tf900.html

GTI_deepseeker-3-25-22_0.jpg

Actually, any good detector with a large coil should work if it's not too deep and you run all metal mode.

Good luck! Jim

• Like 2

Another thought. If it was bare land when it was buried, there is a possibility it was dug up during the excavation of the foundation for the house, utilities, or septic. 
If there was in fact 2’ of topsoil added, that would mean the original hole was 2’-4’ deep which makes way more sense.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snakejim said:

There are 3 other 2 box style detectors around besides the Fisher: The White's TM808, the Discovery TF-900, and the Garrett GTI2500 with Depth Multiplier.

https://www.metaldetector.com/whites-tm-808-metal-detector

http://www.cnnn.com/discovery/tf900.html

GTI_deepseeker-3-25-22_0.jpg

Actually, any good detector with a large coil should work if it's not too deep and you run all metal mode.

Good luck! Jim

You’re right- an old PI unit like a GP 3500 with  a large coil could find something large several feet under.

I was really asking if ‘any’ type of two-box detector would work at the depths a target like the one mentioned and just posted an example of the first two-box I saw  listed here in the detector database.

I didn’t know Garrett also made one- that one would be my choice if I needed one.

• Like 1

First off follow JSONGS advice and look for any depressions which would be easy to spot depending of course on the amount of vegetation ground cover or if any grading has takin place or fill added and if the person who burried the items took the time to compact the backfill which is doubtful.Also as mentioned a good P.I.with larger coil or two box detector could locate it at 4 ft but 6 would be a stretch depending what the said items were buried in which would most likely a plastic bucket? Another option would be to contact your nearest Antique Bottle club and hire one or two experts with 5 0r 6 ft bottle probes to grid and probe the lot they can easily locate any holes that size and in most cases feel any sort of container good luck with your endeavors.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Quicksilver said:

I can’t help but to call B.S. on the 4 to 6 feet deep part of this story. Unless the guy owned a hoe or some type of equipment.

That's what they told me.  Apparently the property has a new owner and they did some landscaping which added 2 feet to the whole yard.  It was originally about 2 feet deep.

3 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

First off follow JSONGS advice and look for any depressions which would be easy to spot depending of course on the amount of vegetation ground cover or if any grading has takin place or fill added and if the person who burried the items took the time to compact the backfill which is doubtful.Also as mentioned a good P.I.with larger coil or two box detector could locate it at 4 ft but 6 would be a stretch depending what the said items were buried in which would most likely a plastic bucket? Another option would be to contact your nearest Antique Bottle club and hire one or two experts with 5 0r 6 ft bottle probes to grid and probe the lot they can easily locate any holes that size and in most cases feel any sort of container good luck with your endeavors.

That's a neat idea.  I'll look into that.  I don't know if it would be feasible to probe the whole yard but as another person posted we can narrow it down by avoiding the septic, etc.

Contact the Lagina brothers and see if they'll help.  You might just get onto the show Beyond Oak Island😁

OK, time to get serious.  Some questions for you to ask both her and yourself:

1) how much would a Hershey bar sized 99.9% gold bar cost?

2) how many of those would he likely have buried?

3) what size hole (cross section) would he need to dig to bury those?

4) what tool would he use to do that?

5) how deep would that tool reach?

My answer to #4 & #5 (after surmising the ballpark answers to 1-3):  a post hole digger, less than 4 ft and more likely 2 to 3 ft deep.

I like the 2 box suggestions, and Garrett claims theirs to be capable of finding the smallest items (relative to the competition), such as a canning jar zinc lid.  So even if it's not in a metal container (that would be really nice), there's a chance of picking it up.  I once reported here searching for a coupld buried sawed-off shotguns.  I used a White's TDI/SPP with 12" coil.  I wasn't very experienced with it which should explain at least some of my headaches, but it picked up way too much small metal and I was digging too much of that.  (This is where experience would have helped...).  The TM808 and its variations (sold by White's but they bought the design and rights from another company who made them previously -- don't remember its name) is also good because it has ground balancing.  The popular Fisher Gemini series doesn't.

Cache hunting is a lot about mentally putting yourself in the place of the person who buried it.  And as others have warned, 3rd party claimants often have the 'facts' misrepresented.  Heck, just ask anyone who has ever been asked to detect a gold ring by someone who lost it.  "I was right there when it fell off...."

• Like 2