Need Help To Detect Gold Bars 4-6 Feet Deep

Ask a local detector prospector to do it all for you.  Hell, guys like me spend weeks detecting around to scratch out half a gram of little nuggets, I'd jump at an opportunity to bring all my gear along to 1/4 of an acre in search of gold bars especially if I found them my payment was a piece of one, I'd even just do it for the challenge to see if I could 🙂 I'm sure there are many others like me that would have the right equipment and happily do it all for you.   If I lived nearby I'd be there today.  It beats buying the stuff on the off chance you'll find the gold.

• Like 9

These stories can often get exaggerated by depth etc and the amount of treasure that has/is buried,when the guy passed away how did he get the hidden story out ?? was it mentioned in say a will or just hearsay or word of mouth,because unless its actually in a written format rather than hearsay then the story could be just that a story and it sounds good.....also one has to ask the question obviously the story about the treasure must have been mentioned after the house was sold,then the new owners are technically i would have thought legally entitled to it and also they are the ones that can give you the permission to detect the property to try and locate this so called treasure.

I own and use a Fisher TW-5 twin box and that would find it no problems what so ever,from say a golf ball/orange size target and the bigger the target like a box the deeper it goes,size does matter when using a twin box,i was lucky i purchased one that had never been used about 5-6 years ago for roughly just over £200 and rarely use it but it certainly would find such a treasure as what you are looking for,also a Pulse like my TDI Po with a large coil on would also pick such a target up.

A few things need to be taken on board when hunting for this so called treasure ie how reliable is it and not just hearsay,access to the property after it has new owners and will they allow someone to detect or use some other way to try and locate it like using divining rods/detector or what ever.....i wish you very good luck and hope you find it and just hope its not just hearsay.

• Like 5

A bottle-diggers probe is certainly one possible tool/technique to consider. You could probably make your own, if you had some engineering skills. 1/8" diameter spring steel, braze a 'ball' on the end slightly larger than the wire. Search online for home-brew manufacture.

Also, using a detector: Use non-motion mode, with a large coil, with cache-hunting technique. Hold the coil 15" / 40cm above the ground, and walk slowly, holding the coil steady and level. With subtle height adjustment, the machine can be brought to the threshold, and very small changes in signal can be heard.
Good machines for this could include the Tek T2 / Fisher F75. The Equinox is OK, the self-calibrating pinpoint threshold gets in the way a bit.

What would these bars be buried in? That's a very important question. Mason/Kilner jar with steel lid? Steel box, like ex-army ammo box? Plastic food container?
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

A bottle-diggers probe is certainly one possible tool/technique to consider. You could probably make your own, if you had some engineering skills. 1/8" diameter spring steel, braze a 'ball' on the end slightly larger than the wire. Search online for home-brew manufacture.

Also, using a detector: Use non-motion mode, with a large coil, with cache-hunting technique. Hold the coil 15" / 40cm above the ground, and walk slowly, holding the coil steady and level. With subtle height adjustment, the machine can be brought to the threshold, and very small changes in signal can be heard.
Good machines for this could include the Tek T2 / Fisher F75. The Equinox is OK, the self-calibrating pinpoint threshold gets in the way a bit.

What would these bars be buried in? That's a very important question. Mason/Kilner jar with steel lid? Steel box, like ex-army ammo box? Plastic food container?

Highest quality bottle probes for sale contact lou@oldwestbottles.com 50 years experience ships to all states.

• Like 1

If the place you want to search does not have metal fences and large ferromagnetic metals nearby, the best solution is to use a proton magnetometer that will not detect small metal debris and can see deep inside an iron box. If the treasure is not in an iron box, the proton magnetometer will be able to read the digging done to place the treasure. below I give you two examples.. Iron magnetic target 70 cm at a depth of 3.3 meters. and digging out of an underground structure.

IMG_20221106_002049.jpg

IMG_20221106_002009.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kostas 13 said:

If the place you want to search does not have metal fences and large ferromagnetic metals nearby, the best solution is to use a proton magnetometer that will not detect small metal debris and can see deep inside an iron box. If the treasure is not in an iron box, the proton magnetometer will be able to read the digging done to place the treasure.

I get the iron box part.  But you claim soil disturbance on a small scale will reveal itself on a magnetometer?

• Like 1

It's been mentioned a few times here, already briefly! But probably the least expensive initial route would be a good probe, a few packs of cheap home improvement store sprinkler flags, and gridding, with alot of patience! You can also lay out string lines, to be more precise! Think in terms of an archeological site layout!

That would at least, narrow your areas to "detect", to only the spots that your probe struck an object, at your estimated depth range! And each of those would have a flag! You could also use inexpensive florescent marking paint, to do the same grid! It's not permanent, and has no metal wire to remove, or interfere with a detector!

One other thing I just thought of, that would help to be less destructive, and invasive to the property! Would be once you have your probing done, and locations flagged; and if out of range of a standard detector (most likely)! Is to use a small diameter auger, or post hole digger, to get to depth, and lower a metal detecting probe/locator to the approximate target depth, to determine if it's a metal target, rock, root, etc... This would save alot of soil removal work, and speed up you "flagged" location checks! But 811, and/or utility location knowledge is a must, for safety first! 

Good luck, and let us know if, and how you get it resolved!!🍀👍👍

• Like 2

This guy I’m sure wasn’t a pirate and didn’t kill the guys who dug the hole for him to put the treasure in . More than likely it don’t have over 6 inches of dirt  and can be located by the average detector. My reasoning behind this is a friend burrowed 7 100 ounce silver bars and showed me where it is . I know it’s was not over 6” in the ground .

Digging can turn into work so why bury so deep when you going to dig it up again.
Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

This guy I’m sure wasn’t a pirate and didn’t kill the guys who dug the hole for him to put the treasure in . More than likely it don’t have over 6 inches of dirt  and can be located by the average detector. My reasoning behind this is a friend burrowed 7 100 ounce silver bars and showed me where it is . I know it’s was not over 6” in the ground .

Digging can turn into work so why bury so deep when you going to dig it up again.
Chuck 

No kidding! I worked as a helper on an archaeological dig and we had to hand excavate a bunch of 1 x 1  x 1.5 meter deep pits.  I was sore after just the first one.

Some of the ideas here seem pretty good, the main ones are start out sampling with random points in the entire yard until you have sampled a dense enough pattern, and then start gridding it afterwards. By doing random sampling you’re more likely to hit something if you’re short of time.

• Like 2

I wouldn't up the ante too much too soon.. KISS for now (keep it simple stupid).. As has been suggested, take a good look around first.. Where would you bury gold bars? Are there any obvious markers like trees or stones? If the whole lot has been covered with topsoil it's still best to start with a metal detector first before bringing out the big guns, like sonar etc.. As mentioned above, I'd also recommend you get a hold of a GPX 4500 / 5000 with as large a coil as possible.. Then grid the whole show.. Take your time walking the grid and dig everything.. It'll take some doing but by the sounds of the tale so far it's well worth having a go.. I wish I was hunting for gold bars, it'd beat digging never-ending crap for very elusive gold rings.. 😗 

• Like 2