Getting Discouraged

Hi all,

Spent my last few detecting days out trying to find a new patch, hitting hard to reach spots in a known gold area. I have probably hiked and detected20+ miles with nodda, zip, zilch.  I am getting discouraged, haven't gotten my ATX over gold in a while. I'm contemplating going to a completely different area like Gold Basin, though I know it's been pounded . Or should I stick my plan of finding a virgin patch. Never really found a patch, unless I had to dig up the wash to find the nuggets, too deep to beep.

What do you guys do to get out of a slump?

Thanks Chris

7 minutes ago, Chris Ben said:

hiked and detected20+ miles

Least you got a lot of exercise and found out where not to go.  

I berate myself. Tell myself quit being such a pussy. Who said it would be  easy? etc,etc,etc

If your research is solid, persistence is the answer. As Lipca said, it is all mental. Nothing like finding a virgin patch though.

• Like 1

You got to be like a Timex take a licking and keep on ticking. If it was easy everybody would be doing it.

Over the years I've made coin hunting pay for it's self but I've yet do the same for nugget hunting. It would help if I could move gold country to Texas.

The Best

Chuck

I went through a middle aged gold slump crisis a few years ago and  I went to see a therapist. I was told the only way to find gold happiness is to take   a virgin detecting with you and you will find a patch before you know it!.    Im not kidding .. I really met a sweet gal and she goes detecting  with me everywhere.. The gold is nice but the company of detecting with friends is priceless.

best of luck. 

Greg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cabelafella said:

I went through a middle aged gold slump crisis a few years ago and  I went to see a therapist. I was told the only way to find gold happiness is to take   a virgin detecting with you and you will find a patch before you know it!.    Im not kidding .. I really met a sweet gal and she goes detecting  with me everywhere.. The gold is nice but the company of detecting with friends is priceless.

best of luck. 

Greg

Greg, the last little nugget I found was when I took my girl out with her kids. We did some digging and detecting and found a couple pieces. Been trying to get her back out lol.

Chris 

What area are you hunting?

If you're in gold country and you're surrounded by old diggings you already know it's there in the ground. Don't try to cover miles and miles of country. Just slow down and be more through and methodical than the guys that came before you. Have confidence in your detector and yourself and work small areas. Spend an hour or a day in one small 20x20 foot area or a couple old potholes or a drainage.

Poke your coil under tough brush or trees and kick some rocks outta the area. If you start finding trash that's GOOD because that was stuff left behind or ignored by others and dig all targets!

• Like 3

This all sounds too familiar.... I myself find that most days when I get out detecting I come to a point in the day where I'm asking myself' What am I doing here? Whether I'm digging up nothing but trash or not digging up anything at all....this is the point where you must stop and park your butt.

"this is the moment in your life" if you don't like cups of tea you just drink it because it's easy to make and gives you enough of a break your not waisting the day away, also you won't enjoy it enough to have another and sit around...

Iv got a small White alcohol stove in my pack' I boil up a cups worth of water' tea bag, sugar packet, (Iv collected from the local Takaway) and stir it with a stick' quick, simple and kick back while it cools enough to drink.

if your organised enough the night before you would have packed a few biscuits or a muesli bar to nibble on while you wait.

for me personally "this works", gets your mind back on the job with some sort of plan of attack, a good opportunity to swap out a different coil from your pack or shake sand from your boot etc... sometimes I only last another 2-3hrs and I'm done but at least you have given the spot a decent go before you move on and don't think to big' pick the most likely spot at the start of the day.

Develop a way to Overcome Boredom and be comfortable, or find another hobby.

• Like 3