Getting Discouraged

When finds are thin on the ground or I am getting tired I take a break and always take a flask of coffee and something to chop on for lunch and re-fuel you mind, you would be surprized what taking time out can do to boost your concentration levels,

There are two types of detectorists One waits for it to beep before they dig and then there is the one that listens to the Detector which is the secrete to finding Gold or treasure, Some times a raise in threshold is all a target will give and If you hunt this way and check out such targets you will find what your looking for and it can add another 6 inches to a foot on the depth of the machine, So Don't Beep,, Listen and check out those rises in the threshold, The reason you need to take a break is get your mind right and your Ears switched on, So never use a detector when ya Buggered take a Break and get back in the Game,

Good luck,, John

• Like 3

Great question and great responses from the forum members....all good points....the only one I have not tried is bringing along a virgin to find a patch..  :) as they are as rare as the gold we search.....Getting discouraged is normal...do you research and go where detectable gold can be found. Confidence will come with success, just don't give up. Most of us have gone for days, weeks and even months not finding gold..and that sucks BIG TIME when your used to finding it on a regular base.But you become confidant in time...knowing the gold will show its face again...like it has before. Take a break in between you hunt, I do every 2 hours or so..just a quick 15 minute sit and drink or snack..gives you time to think about your technique, maybe slow down your sweep and listen to the change of threshold and scrap an inch to see if it is a target. Like LipCa stated....it's all MENTAL....beat the mental game and you have won...just keep on swingin. Good Luck.....your nugget is out waiting for you.

• Like 3

Using a hiking GPS app, I actually have put it over 20 miles lol. I do have good stamina and focus. I know I swing too fast and hit the "easy" spots. I am in the Johnnie District in NV and there are actually plenty of places where no one has been. Many of the washes have over 2-3 feet of overburden, with few spots of exposed bedrock. Have found a few lone nuggets up on benches or saddle between washes. Been looking for that Virgin wash that has detectable gold.

Thanks for all your replies

Chris

Well atleast you've found some in the past and broken that barrier. A lot of guys give up after a year or two after hunting and not finding that first one. Atleast you know what a nugget sounds like, which is important. 

When I start getting frustrated, thinking to myself "what am I doing here..." I try to think how all week long at work all I was thinking about was getting out and detecting again so I use that for motivation to push onward. 

Dang !!  Nice gold

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum, although I've been lurking for some time now....   :ph34r:

Just thought I would chime in and say that if that's the kind of gold you're finding.  Just keep at it, you're doing better than most.

All the advice given is good advice, with the mental aspect being the most important.

One thing for sure, you'll never find a nugget sitting on your couch !!

Good luck out there !!

Luke   :smile:

• Like 1

Your dry spell will end you just have to keep your head in the game and your coil will get over the gold again.good luck.

• Like 1