Thoughts On This?

The first 18 seconds of the video are of the inside then when it turns green that's the outside, looks like olivine crystal maybe, I sent in some samples for testing, looking forward to the results next week. Take care. 

Video link - 

20221105_010126.jpg

20221105_010117.jpg

Tell us your thoughts on why you think this is a meteorite, if you sent a sample to a lab you must have some reasons. I can not say it looks like a meteorite, but in this field it's almost always that way, can't be certain without certification. Good luck on your path. 

• Like 2

There are lots of white colored minerals in that specimen. My thought is it's not a meteorite. My other thought is it appears to be an intrusive igneous rock that formed in or near the earth's mantle.

https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/quartz-calcite-magnetite-hematite-micas/

• Like 6

100% not a meteorite. Definitely some sort of intrusive igneous rock as Jeff said. 

Probably a gabbro to maybe a diabase (the line blurs). The elongated crystals are probably some sort of amphibole, likely hornblende. Olivine can also be a common component in both diabase and gabbro. 

If you are pretty interested in meteorites, and sending stuff out for testing, it might pay to pick up a good book on basic rock types. You'll get to the point where you are walking around and just automatically in your head you'll be looking at the ground thinking "pegmatite, granite, diorite, etc etc) with every rock you see on auto pilot. 99.9% of them will just be terrestrial rocks. But if you can eliminate them and just concentrate on the 0.1% that defy ID, you'll save a lot of money and time in the long run. Plus you can be the crazy "rock guy" in your neighborhood that everyone takes mysteries to, and every rare so-often it's a pretty woman seeking help and it gives you something to talk about. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Reminds me of some type of river/landscape rock! Something for size comparison, and where found may help!👍👍

• Like 1

• 3 months later...