Did A Meteorite Just Hit This Guy's House?

I know what happened, the guy was cooking himself some clone KFC chicken in his deep fryer, the meteorite smacked straight into his deep fryer and up in flames his kitchen went. 

Pretty cool, I don't know if you have Hot and Spicy KFC in the USA but I'm sure that's what his meal turned into.

• Like 2

If I were going out in that salt flat, or what ever it was, I would invest in a gas powered trail bike not a slow, short range e-bike.  You could probably find a dozen meteorites out there with something that could get you around a little better.

ALL meteorites only supply flame when ablating due to speed (frictional velocity) through an oxygen rich environment. The moment they stop, the flames cease and the remaining stone cools almost immediately. Several instances have occurred where observers have picked up meteorites within a minute or two of them landing....they are barely warm. No chance of any meteorite ever causing a fire except where they have hit an object already on fire or disrupting an electrical device. Glad that someone plotted the trajectory and discounted the meteorite-fire theory on this guys house. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Aureous said:

No chance of any meteorite ever causing a fire except where they have hit an object already on fire or disrupting an electrical device.

These eyewitnesses might disagree...."  :biggrin:

dino_meteor.thumb.jpg.461b878913bd6f50ba357f18457bf8f1.jpg

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

These eyewitnesses might disagree...."

The impact detonation and resultant 'nuclear winter' did that....not a fire. :wink:

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, Aureous said:

No chance of any meteorite ever causing a fire except where they have hit an object already on fire or disrupting an electrical device. Glad that someone plotted the trajectory and discounted the meteorite-fire theory on this guys house. 

This 

I thought we already had a discussion here a while back about meteors causing fires. Funny the guy played along with the reporter all the while with a lighted cigarette in his hand lol. I've never heard of a meteor being the cause for a forest fire before. 

strick 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, strick said:

A lot of 'pseudo-science' nonsense written there....the fires started within 'ten minutes' of the impact....just think about the absurdity of that statement. It happened 66 million years ago and no-one was there to monitor or record anything. Now, the actual impact of a very large meteorite causes heat friction and this could indeed cause a fire, but not the meteorite itself. So, if its big enough to create impactite (fusion glass), it could cause a fire....but this is representative of only 0.0001% (I could add more zeros, but meh) of all meteorite falls (thankfully) and so your average fall could never cause a fire.

Meteorite Facts

• Like 2