Went To A West Coast Spanish Site And Dug A Hammered!

26 minutes ago, palzynski said:

...., they are made of thin copper and .....

That's what threw me for a loop.  I could feel that it was seemingly dainty and light-weight.  Almost like you could bend it if you wanted.  None of our coins are like that .  Except if it's modern kids play money or modern token or whatever.   So I just assumed :  Modern.  Yet I couldn't deny it looked old.  And the holes are not a modern practice.  So .... it was confusing.

We *do* get foreign coins of the world at our colonial exploration Spanish period sites in CA, from time to time.  Go figure, they traveled the oceans to get here, and port-trading went on.   But this is the first of that type storied coin I've ever seen here.  

Hey Brian, I'll trade you my seated half for that.  Huh ?  Huh ?   🧐

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quick said:

Nice job on the finds guys.. Looking forward to seeing more. 

Thanks, and hopefully there will be more as we're planning another excursion soon to another site that's been productive in the past 👍

17 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Great to see you back and glad you are feeling better.  What a cool coin? What detector were you using when you found it?

Bill

Thanks Bill!   My trusty EQX800.  To be honest, that darned machine has done so well for me at the kind of sites I enjoy hunting, it's been tough to use anything else.  I used the Legend earlier this year at some of our sites and beach detecting, but most of our sites are shut down during the summer due to overgrowth, cement hard ground, and/or excessive temps, so the fall and winter are our peak detecting times, provided the weather doesn't blow us out. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Hi cal_cobra , yes such Nuremberg tokens are quite frequent over here , they are made of thin copper and they date from the 16 to 17th century . I found 2 nuremberg tokens this summer . They are relatively common but I like to find them ... 

Here an example of a nuremberg token that can be found in France :
ROUYER - X. JETONS DE NUREMBERG Jeton de compte au type du gold gulden n.d. fjt_515659 Jetons (cgb.fr)

In the US I imagine that they are ( very ) rare artefacts , then congrats for your token ... 🙂

Thanks.  I figured they'd be common in Europe, but to find any token/coin in California from the early 1700's is quite rare.  I see these are sometimes called Jetsons, is that just another term for a token?

It's kind of like large cents in the U.S.  They're practically jumping out of everywhere in the Eastern U.S., but in the Western U.S. you have better odds of finding a gold coin.  Heck I've dug two gold coins out here, but never dug a large cent (which personally I'm okay with 🙂

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Awesome finds Cal & Tom! I love seeing the unusual history unfolding in your relics and coins saves!

Thanks, appreciate it 👍

54 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

That's what threw me for a loop.  I could feel that it was seemingly dainty and light-weight.  Almost like you could bend it if you wanted.  None of our coins are like that .  Except if it's modern kids play money or modern token or whatever.   So I just assumed :  Modern.  Yet I couldn't deny it looked old.  And the holes are not a modern practice.  So .... it was confusing.

We *do* get foreign coins of the world at our colonial exploration Spanish period sites in CA, from time to time.  Go figure, they traveled the oceans to get here, and port-trading went on.   But this is the first of that type storied coin I've ever seen here.  

Hey Brian, I'll trade you my seated half for that.  Huh ?  Huh ?   🧐

I'll take a pass on that trade 🤣

If you ever hunt with Tom, heed this warning - when Tom says " Almost like you could bend it if you wanted." never ever let him bend your finds...trust me on this one 🧐

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

35 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

... but in the Western U.S. you have better odds of finding a gold coin.  ...

Yea sometimes copper is better than gold ... 🙂

• Like 1

Ugh.....just a 1700s EU token and a seated half.  Killing me.  Been chasing that seated half for 10 years.  Never considered such a token.  Glad you guys are still pulling the goods from your sites.  As we all know, they are never hunted out.  

Agree w/ you Brian, on the large cents out west.  Finally got one in ID to match my gold coin.   Probably will find another gold before another largy.  Kinda silly.   

Tom - you've had your share of gold.  More large cents or gold coins?

Zincoln (the other Brian)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thanks.  I figured they'd be common in Europe, but to find any token/coin in California from the early 1700's is quite rare.  I see these are sometimes called Jetsons, is that just another term for a token?

It's kind of like large cents in the U.S.  They're practically jumping out of everywhere in the Eastern U.S., but in the Western U.S. you have better odds of finding a gold coin.  Heck I've dug two gold coins out here, but never dug a large cent (which personally I'm okay with 🙂

https://www.whitmorectm.com/jettonjeton

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elbert said:

Hey Tom, I'm not sure, but it sounds like Matt maybe referring to your area. 

You are correct! I guess Tom doesn't remember I told him my family settled his area in the mid 1800's and we own several ranches in the location of an early Spanish/ Mexican settlement that was later land granted to my great, great, great grandfather. It's been a couple years since Tom and I discussed the location I'm referring to. One of the others ranches could be the site of an old stage stop and saloon.

Either way, great finds for both of you. Congrats!

• Like 1