Went To A West Coast Spanish Site And Dug A Hammered!

Congrats on that awesome 18th century token!   I was just getting ready to post my latest find, a 1919 merc in very good shape, when I saw your post.  Compared to what you just found it’s like finding a zincoln!   Lol!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matt said:

You are correct! I guess Tom doesn't remember I told him my family settled his area in the mid 1800's and we own several ranches in the location of ...

I remember our conversation now !   Give me a holler if you ever visit this area.

3 hours ago, Zincoln said:

.....Tom - you've had your share of gold.  More large cents or gold coins? .....

16 gold coins from CA and only 3 large cents here.  And I know many hunters here with 1 or 2 or 5 or 7 gold coins, yet with no LC's.   You're also more likely to get bust halves than LC's here,

I got a 4th large cent while on a trip to VA. But .... shucks .... LC's are a common as pulltabs over there on the east coast.  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m still looking for one in Texas.

• Like 1

Found this rather lengthy explanation of holed coins and tokens from another site. This is cut and pasted. 

“holes near the rims were for bracelets or charms. Larger rim holed coins were for teething or birth years and ocasionally saw use as watch fobs.Larger round center holes were used as washers for slate roofs when the suppliers tried to jack up the prices from 1/4 cent each to two cents each.Ragged center holes were made by indians so that they could use them for buttons on leather garments. Two knots on a piece of rawhide did the trick.Wartime coins with holes were sometimes for hate money. I've seen them with holes like buttons in them. When it is on a peacetime coin it was for use as buttons so that people with arthritus could dress themselves. On wartime coins it was usually so they could be sewn to the inside of military belts as "hate" money and the coins were taken from the corpses of the enemy. “

Strick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Zincoln said:

Ugh.....just a 1700s EU token and a seated half.  Killing me.  Been chasing that seated half for 10 years.  Never considered such a token.  Glad you guys are still pulling the goods from your sites.  As we all know, they are never hunted out.  

Agree w/ you Brian, on the large cents out west.  Finally got one in ID to match my gold coin.   Probably will find another gold before another largy.  Kinda silly.   

Tom - you've had your share of gold.  More large cents or gold coins?

Zincoln (the other Brian)

Thanks Brian!  Congrats on your gold coin and largie.

I'm sure I'll dig a largie one of these days, but I'll gladly take gold coins as a consolation prize in the mean time 🙂

9 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Congrats on that awesome 18th century token!   I was just getting ready to post my latest find, a 1919 merc in very good shape, when I saw your post.  Compared to what you just found it’s like finding a zincoln!   Lol!

Thanks!  Nothing wrong with mercs!  TomCA just bagged a 1921-D, I've not dug a 1921-D but did get the 1916-D key date merc at a San Francisco park scrape a few years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strick said:

Found this rather lengthy explanation of holed coins and tokens from another site. This is cut and pasted. 

“holes near the rims were for bracelets or charms. Larger rim holed coins were for teething or birth years and ocasionally saw use as watch fobs.Larger round center holes were used as washers for slate roofs when the suppliers tried to jack up the prices from 1/4 cent each to two cents each.Ragged center holes were made by indians so that they could use them for buttons on leather garments. Two knots on a piece of rawhide did the trick.Wartime coins with holes were sometimes for hate money. I've seen them with holes like buttons in them. When it is on a peacetime coin it was for use as buttons so that people with arthritus could dress themselves. On wartime coins it was usually so they could be sewn to the inside of military belts as "hate" money and the coins were taken from the corpses of the enemy. “

Strick

Thanks, that's an interesting read.  Given that the example I found online as well as the one I dug are both holed (square holes) I'd assume that they weren't fans of the King or Queen, or the union of them and/or the implications that their union created. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SeabeeRon said:

Another great hunt by Team Brian/Tom!! 

Thanks Ron!  Have you been tearing up the beach?  Not sure if that big storm that rolled through here Monday night worked to your advantage 🤔

• Like 1