A Day Out With My New 11" Coil

F350Platinum

Nice work F350. I never noticed that big of a gain in depth with my 11" coil(s) on the D1, but the 40% gain in coverage (I did the math once, it's something like that) is significant. I've tried Reactivity = 0, but found I couldn't swing as slow as I should for too long before reverting to my normal swing speed. The D2 is much quieter than the D1 at low Reactivity speeds and the target separation at low Reactivity speeds is also much better with the D2 in my opinion. I'll routinely hunt in medium iron with R= 0.5 to 1.5 and find good targets comingled in the iron. If too much falsing, just raise the Reactivity a bit, it will help. But seeing how well you did with R=0, I will have to give it another try!

That Griffith backmarked button is an awesome find! I have well over a thousand flat buttons but not a single one of those. Yeah those heavily gold-gilted buttons always give me a heart attack !

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

But seeing how well you did with R=0, I will have to give it another try!

Thanks, LC! 

I'm not bashing the 11" in any way, seems like you saw that. 🙂 I hope no one gets that impression. It is a quality coil, built well and solid. Useful for some but not so much for me. I am going to keep it, however. 

My fields have no mineralization at all, nearly anywhere. As Chase has mentioned, it's a "detecting paradise" 😀 that's why I can run reactivity at 0, and can almost swing normally. I simply "grab" any higher tone I hear, stop and verify if you will.

I do more "pillage" than careful analysis, it's because I can. 😁 All my permissions are mine alone for the most part, so I can always come back and check for more.

This field has produced more buttons with heavy plating than other places I go. I'm hoping to figure out why. I'm also employing Cal_Cobra's lemon juice magic to make it stand out. 😀

• Like 3

Thanks for the report on the 11" coil, F350. I'm with you on the 9" coil. It's doing a fine job on my ground and since I may get to a beach once a year, I really don't need the 11".

Congrats on those gilded buttons. Those are beauties!  BTW, what did the spider ring in at? 😄 I hate it when I walk through one of those orb weaver webs and don't know if the spider was in it at the time! 😱  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Got an early start thanks to the time change. At first it seemed like the extra weight and "nose heavy" orientation wasn't much of a problem, but as the day wore on, my arm got really tired, ...

I honestly believe that I am not getting much extra depth, but that's because there really isn't anything deep in my fields but large iron. I think the deepest target today was about 6 or 7 inches. I would easily have found everything today with the 9" coil and saved my arm from fatigue.

Will I continue to use the 11" FMF for relic hunting? Uhhh, no. ...

Will I keep it and get a second shaft (carbon fiber) to use it for beach hunting? Yep. The extra depth and wider coverage will help there, and it won't feel wobbly on carbon fiber. It will also come in handy if anything happens with the 9" coil. 👍

I really wanted to get the 11x13, but yikes, as heavy and unwieldy as this is, I couldn't be more thrilled to have bought the 9" D2 package up front. 😀

Thx F350 for the nice report and pics , I agree the 9" is the best compromise for coin/relic hunting very light , accurate , deep and excellent in the iron trash . It is a must for the D2. 

I would say the 11" is more dedicated to woods and forests where the soil is cleaner . In a field you dont really max depth perfo as the targets are mostly shallow.  

Yes a second shaft is a very good investment . The XP stock shaft is ok , but there are better shafts on the market .. A few users of the forum use other brands shafts with their D2 ..

The 11X13 I would never buy one , I dont understand why XP still proposes this coil , an heavy Deus is no more a Deus  ... 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, palzynski said:

Thx F350 for the nice report and pics , I agree the 9" is the best compromise for coin/relic hunting very light , accurate , deep and excellent in the iron trash . It is a must for the D2. 

I would say the 11" is more dedicated to woods and forests where the soil is cleaner . In a field you dont really max depth perfo as the targets are mostly shallow.  

Yes a second shaft is a very good investment . The XP stock shaft is ok , but there are better shafts on the market .. A few users of the forum use other brands shafts with their D2 ..

The 11X13 I would never buy one , I dont understand why XP still proposes this coil , an heavy Deus is no more a Deus  ... 🙂

Thanks!

I like the coil, I would definitely suggest that if anyone bought the 11" package they get a 9" coil. 😀

The best thing is to have a spare coil of some size you can bring along should you have a problem with the other, like a run down battery on a long hunt.

I might pick up a centering device for it, maybe that will help a bit. It sure is great to have a larger coil, but I agree with you about the 13x11! We really need a 10x5 elliptical. 🙂 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks for the report on the 11" coil, F350. I'm with you on the 9" coil. It's doing a fine job on my ground and since I may get to a beach once a year, I really don't need the 11".

Congrats on those gilded buttons. Those are beauties!  BTW, what did the spider ring in at? 😄 I hate it when I walk through one of those orb weaver webs and don't know if the spider was in it at the time! 😱  

The spider was a "sight pick", I was glad I saw it before I walked through the web. It was the size of a large cent. 😀

I've seen giant garden spiders in the corn, a pumpkin orb weaver was a fitting fall picture, never seen one before. 🙂 It was 80 degrees yesterday, now the "gales of November" have started, and it's 53. 😵 Poor spiders are gonna have to "wrap it up" for the year.

• Like 2

Those pretty gold buttons....they would keep me coming back for more as well. I can swing my ctx 3030 all day but that deus with the nose heavy 11 inch coil was too much for me so I sold that package years ago. Your gonna want a strait shaft for that 11" the S shaft puts the weight up too high. Serious detecting sells some nice Anderson carbon fiber shafts and they are in stock or have Steve make you one. Debating getting a 11" myself and it would be used solely for beach hunting but I already have lots of machines and then there is the "Beast" due to be born any day now... lol

strick 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, strick said:

Those pretty gold buttons....they would keep me coming back for more as well. I can swing my ctx 3030 all day but that deus with the nose heavy 11 inch coil was too much for me so I sold that package years ago. Your gonna want a strait shaft for that 11" the S shaft puts the weight up too high. Serious detecting sells some nice Anderson carbon fiber shafts and they are in stock or have Steve make you one. Debating getting a 11" myself and it would be used solely for beach hunting but I already have lots of machines and then there is the "Beast" due to be born any day now... lol

strick 

Thanks! Yeah finding buttons is as much a thrill as coins, and a great substitute if there are none which is usually the case in my rural digs. Of late I've been finding some really good ones! Started last spring when I found two Virginia buttons in one field where I didn't think anything was. 😀

I've considered the Anderson CF, I'm also waiting for SteveG's creation. I'm thinking a centering device will help on the S shaft.

I'm looking at "maybe" getting the M-core next year if it proves to be a major leap from the Equinox, I waited a bit for the Deus 2 until I got my hands on one, and the ability to safely dunk it was clear. Its resistance to EMI was another big win for me. 🥳

I might spring for one of the iterations of a really large coil for the Equinox, I bought one of SteveG's counterweighted shafts for that. The Deus is fast and light, I'm thinking I'll keep it that way but it's nice to have a larger (and second) coil around. If they make a 10x5 I'm on it, and will probably sell the 11".

• Like 3

DetectorPro Detecting Pal.... I use one on the beach...takes some of the weight away and you can just let go of the detector when retrieving the target out of the scoop. 

strick

• Like 2