A Day Out With My New 11" Coil

F350Platinum

On 11/8/2022 at 1:22 AM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks for the report on the 11" coil, F350. I'm with you on the 9" coil. It's doing a fine job on my ground and since I may get to a beach once a year, I really don't need the 11".

Congrats on those gilded buttons. Those are beauties!  BTW, what did the spider ring in at? 😄 I hate it when I walk through one of those orb weaver webs and don't know if the spider was in it at the time! 😱  

just wait until the Asian Joro spiders invade your state. There webs are 10 times stronger, they produce an egg sack for over the winter with 400 - 1,500 eggs. They are invasive, but don't seem to be doing any real harm. They are the only spider that will eat stink bugs. When you run into a Joro spider web, you don't often bust it. You back off quickly and the web is intact and no harm done to either party.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

26 minutes ago, maxxkatt said:

just wait until the Asian Joro spiders invade your state. There webs are 10 times stronger, they produce an egg sack for over the winter with 400 - 1,500 eggs. They are invasive, but don't seem to be doing any real harm. They are the only spider that will eat stink bugs. When you run into a Joro spider web, you don't often bust it. You back off quickly and the web is intact and no harm done to either party.

Yikes that spider is big, definitely larger than the biggest garden spider or wolf spider I've seen. 😀6189869ec255f.image.thumb.jpg.c525e6eb040cdfb6704e3d0675530e9d.jpg

I'm sure you have your share of black widows and possibly brown recluse, haven't seen a recluse here but I've heard claims of bites.

I pretty much give all creatures some respect, and others a wide berth. 🤣 Hell I feel bad if I dig up earthworms. However, I have no sympathy for ticks.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

I see you don't mind spiders on you lol. I would be knocking that spider off of me. I don't like digging up earthworms either or cutting them in half. I don't know if they survive after putting them back in the ground.

Nobody has sympathy for ticks. Chickens around my house eat them lol and everything else they can find.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Yikes that spider is big, definitely larger than the biggest garden spider or wolf spider I've seen. 😀6189869ec255f.image.thumb.jpg.c525e6eb040cdfb6704e3d0675530e9d.jpg

I'm sure you have your share of black widows and possibly brown recluse, haven't seen a recluse here but I've heard claims of bites.

I pretty much give all creatures some respect, and others a wide berth. 🤣 Hell I feel bad if I dig up earthworms. However, I have no sympathy for ticks.

they came in on the containers from Japan and Korea several years ago and have taken over north Atlanta. Bite is said to be somewhat like a bee sting. Not like a black widow or brown recluse. Females are huge, males are much, much smaller. I respect all living things and go out of my way to not injure or disturb them or their homes. But it will wake you up when you stumble into their webs. As I said before, you react quick and jerk back and typically will not disturb their web. I live in north Atlanta burbs and most of the people go ape when they see a joro web and broom it, spray it or otherwise destroy it. As long as it not over a walk way, I leave it alone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

I see you don't mind spiders on you lol. I would be knocking that spider off of me. I don't like digging up earthworms either or cutting them in half. I don't know if they survive after putting them back in the ground.

Nobody has sympathy for ticks. Chickens around my house eat them lol and everything else they can find.

Haha that's not my hand! 😀 Just a photo I downloaded. 😁

I think I read somewhere if you cut an earthworm in half you get two, but that might be an old tale. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, maxxkatt said:

they came in on the containers from Japan and Korea several years ago and have taken over north Atlanta. Bite is said to be somewhat like a bee sting. Not like a black widow or brown recluse. Females are huge, males are much, much smaller. I respect all living things and go out of my way to not injure or disturb them or their homes. But it will wake you up when you stumble into their webs. As I said before, you react quick and jerk back and typically will not disturb their web. I live in north Atlanta burbs and most of the people go ape when they see a joro web and broom it, spray it or otherwise destroy it. As long as it not over a walk way, I leave it alone.

I'm glad the Joros eat stinkbugs, I sure could use 'em this time of year when the stinkbugs are trying to get in my RV. 🤣 My bug guy sprays for spiders tho, he said they were plotting a coup this year... 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Haha that's not my hand! 😀 Just a photo I downloaded. 😁

I think I read somewhere if you cut an earthworm in half you get two, but that might be an old tale. 

I try to save the worms too. This spring and summer when the ground was moist, worms would start popping up under the coil as I was circling a target. I'm thinking next summer I'll just collect the worms and go fishing after detecting. 😄

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:48 PM, F350Platinum said:

I just ordered a coil centering device

I've printed one for a friend of mine and he said, it changed a heck - not wobbly anymore.
It's not that the coil wobbles from left to right, it kind of twists on every end of swing. Feels really awkward if you are used to straight carbon shafts.

Using the balancer + nokta carbon shaft should make a huge difference.

I mainy hunt beaches and couldn't decide between 9" vs 11" ..  + the wobblyness and the need of fiddling around with such an expensive detector to make it work for me, kept me from buying it. We'll see, what the Mantiwhore does.. then i'll decide again.

• Like 2