A Day Out With My New 11" Coil

F350Platinum

57 minutes ago, strick said:

DetectorPro Detecting Pal.... I use one on the beach...takes some of the weight away and you can just let go of the detector when retrieving the target out of the scoop. 

strick

Thanks. I have a Limbsaver, but this one does look better. It's on the way. 👍

• Like 2

17 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

While I appreciate the extra coverage a larger coil gives, the edge falsing and slower swing speed and less accurate centering are a distraction. Reminds me of the 11" coil on my other detector, and why I don't use it anymore. 😀

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I might spring for one of the iterations of a really large coil for the Equinox,...

Hmmm.  These two sentences seem to be contradictory.  You point out some dislikes of the ML Equinox 11" coil and then say you might get an even bigger one?  I don't understand the edge falsing thing, but obviously weight (and balance) are important.  Your last point ("less accurate centering") is one I've noticed as well and something that doesn't seem to get much attention.  What I've experienced with the Equinox 12"x15" coil is that for the extra time it takes to investigate the target (not only trying to determine accurate location but also focusing on the dTID consistency, etc.) that time I may have saved by the increased sweep path is given back in that extra investigation and digging time.  (Digging time because even with more careful pinpointing I still end up digging a bigger diameter hole in the long run.)  I'm sure some are better at pinpointing than I am.  But it seems they should be better with the smaller coils, too, so the relative effect remains.  Finally on this topic, you mention separation differences.  Add in the extra (trash) targets that a larger coil sees when trying to identify and pinpoint.  All those add to the detecting time.  Shallow targets, not a lot of trash, lots of area that needs to be covered in a fixed amount of time, low mineralization -- all those emphasize advantages for a large(r) coil.  So bottom line:  coil choice really depends upon the site and the detectorist (what else is new?).

For those of us dealing with ground mineralization (apparently not you, lucky dog), improvements on depth using a larger coil is diminished, and in some high mineralizaiton cases, negligible.

18 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I honestly believe that I am not getting much extra depth, but that's because there really isn't anything deep in my fields but large iron.

I question your conclusion.  You are in an area that has been frequented for 2-4 decades.  Target depth depends upon many things but time in the ground is generally a factor.  In the past I've thought the same way as you, but further contemplation has made me realize the limits of the detector and operator are more likely the cause of what seems to be a depth zone limit for good moderate to small size targets in old sites.  I hope I'm able to confirm my current feelings when the Manticore gets here.  🤞

BTW, nice looking buttons.  I'm constantly surprised at all the gilding that remains on old buttons for many of you.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Hmmm.  These two sentences seem to be contradictory. 

Not really. Consider the Deus as "apples", and the Equinox as "oranges". 😁 The Deus 2 is extremely light, I would want to keep it that way. Getting a large coil for the Equinox, while I was never a fan of the 11", makes a little more sense to me because I have the SteveG counterweight, and just ordered a new sling. 🙂 I'm just contemplating my options! 😀 I didn't like the EQX 11. I'm also considering the 14x9 Coiltek for it, this would be for upcoming beach trips in 2023. Want to get out there golf swinging with the best of them, although I've done just fine and stayed out longer with the 10x5.

What I mean by edge falsing is that larger coils seem to pick up stuff on the outer ring and add that to the final tone and ID. A smaller coil would be less prone to that?

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You are in an area that has been frequented for 2-4 decades. 

You mean centuries, right? I'm sure that for many years the fields were ploughed and disced, should anything reach the depth those tools would go, it is now out of reach of a VLF except for maybe a tiny squeak, or we'd have found something. The soil here is thin, has a low-mineral clay layer below it, and then it's nothing but beach sand. Should an object not be trapped by the clay at 8-10", it would literally disappear. In over two years I haven't dug anything deeper than 8-10" that wasn't iron or aluminum. I would certainly like to be wrong! I have no idea how those deep beer cans get there 🤣 could be the point, tho. 🤔

At this point I'd like to know if a larger coil will help at all, even at the beach I think I'd be digging more than finding. Wish I could borrow one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

... It sure is great to have a larger coil, but I agree with you about the 13x11! We really need a 10x5 elliptical. 🙂 

I have a D1 with a 9X6 elliptical , it is a very good coil for open fields hunting but dont expect much depth with such a small coil ..  Now I always use my D2 9" coil which is more polyvalent and goes much deeper than my D1 9X6 on coin sized targets . I just keep this D1 9X6 as a backup now ...

Of course it would be a different story for gold prospecting , but unfortunately there are no nuggets around here ... 🙂

• Like 2

I have the 11" as I traded my 9" for it since I hunt the beach most of the time but I do dabble inland on occasion. I'm going to get a 9" again but one of the things I found that was destroying my elbow was where I had the coil stem set at. I'm lazy and when I got my D2 I simply set it at the length of my 800 and with the 9 it was no problem. However with the 11" I found I was getting tired way too early (2 hours in and I was longing for the car) and the other day I was charging the coil by itself (while still attached to the stem) and when I put it back in the shaft I set it to the 0 mark instead of the 3 I had been using for swinging. I'm 5'8" and the difference in weight minus those three inches is astounding. I checked to see if I was an extra 3 inches off the sand and I wasn't, it was freaking perfect. 

My 11" now swings and feels like my 9" did. Best of all my elbow no longer curses at me. I don't mind admitting that I was lazy when it came to set up as I have no ego to admit I was doing it wrong and if it helps someone else then great. Your elbow acts like a lever and the longer your shaft is from the base of the elbow the greater the force will be at the end of shaft (coil). If you are struggling with getting tired early or elbow pain try and shorten the shaft and see if it doesn't work like it did for me. 

F350- Great hunt by the way. I hope your next gold round edge in the dirt is a gold coin.

Best

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, palzynski said:

I have a D1 with a 9X6 elliptical , it is a very good coil for open fields hunting but dont expect much depth with such a small coil ..  Now I always use my D2 9" coil which is more polyvalent and goes much deeper than my D1 9X6 on coin sized targets . I just keep this D1 9X6 as a backup now ...

Of course it would be a different story for gold prospecting , but unfortunately there are no nuggets around here ... 🙂

Very little gold prospecting in my state either, and none where I am.

I've found gold items in some of my fields, it is rare, and I've found as many Spanish silver items as I have silver American coins, maybe more!

Either silver and gold are sinking past detection, or the places I go have been hit hard for it, or it was never there to begin with. I have only found multiple silver coins in places I know for a fact have never been detected, and never more than 3 or 4 maximum. Relics and buttons are what I find the most.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skate said:

I have the 11" as I traded my 9" for it since I hunt the beach most of the time but I do dabble inland on occasion. I'm going to get a 9" again but one of the things I found that was destroying my elbow was where I had the coil stem set at. I'm lazy and when I got my D2 I simply set it at the length of my 800 and with the 9 it was no problem. However with the 11" I found I was getting tired way too early (2 hours in and I was longing for the car) and the other day I was charging the coil by itself (while still attached to the stem) and when I put it back in the shaft I set it to the 0 mark instead of the 3 I had been using for swinging. I'm 5'8" and the difference in weight minus those three inches is astounding. I checked to see if I was an extra 3 inches off the sand and I wasn't, it was freaking perfect. 

My 11" now swings and feels like my 9" did. Best of all my elbow no longer curses at me. I don't mind admitting that I was lazy when it came to set up as I have no ego to admit I was doing it wrong and if it helps someone else then great. Your elbow acts like a lever and the longer your shaft is from the base of the elbow the greater the force will be at the end of shaft (coil). If you are struggling with getting tired early or elbow pain try and shorten the shaft and see if it doesn't work like it did for me. 

F350- Great hunt by the way. I hope your next gold round edge in the dirt is a gold coin.

Best

Thanks! 🙂 You are correct. 👍

I was starting to get tired about 6 hours in, and I remember now shortening the shaft, I'm 6'1 and have thin arms despite all the physical stuff I've done all my life. 😵 I went from about 4 to 3, and was able to continue without stopping to "shake it out". I guess I could have made it even shorter.

I just ordered a coil centering device and a sling, maybe that will help as well. 🙂 Meantime I'll be using the 9", it's been great so far.

• Like 2

I think you’ll like that sling for beach hunting...works best on a straight shaft. Never tried it on a deus shaft. If your right handed stick your left arm through the sling then drape the long end around your neck and attach it to its bungee that you have already attached to the detector. Adjust for length. Let go of your detector and it just hangs there by your right side. 

Strick 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm also considering the 14x9 Coiltek for it, this would be for upcoming beach trips in 2023.

From what I can surmise, this coil is exclusively meant for submerged detecting.  When you say 'beach' do you mean the dry part?  We've all read/heard and probably made the comparison between a heavy coil and a boat anchor.  That 14x9 is a boat anchor... from the QEII.  I guess if you're going to use a sling, though, maybe swinging it in the dry will work fine.  (Never used one of those myself.)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

From what I can surmise, this coil is exclusively meant for submerged detecting.  When you say 'beach' do you mean the dry part?  We've all read/heard and probably made the comparison between a heavy coil and a boat anchor.  That 14x9 is a boat anchor... from the QEII.  I guess if you're going to use a sling, though, maybe swinging it in the dry will work fine.  (Never used one of those myself.)

Thanks GB. 

I read the Coiltek coil review thread, and have leaned more toward the 15 elliptical now as I have the counterweight. May borrow one for a bit.

Appreciate your input! 👍

• Like 1