Delay Switch Questions

Do you guys experience a big difference in target response for delay settings? I’m trying to see if mine has an issue as on small air targets I just don’t see much difference with delay variation. It might have a loose wire to it.  I tried an earring back and a 5 grain gold nugget. When using it for EMI optimization I do notice changes as I rotate it but I can’t say if the resulting behavior is optimized or not in normal modes.  

• 1 month later...

I had a problem with the delay setting that would not change no matter what I did. Here is part of the note that I sent to Fisher when my AQ was sent to them for service for a faulty volume knob.

Problem... When all this was occurring I tried adjusting the different control knobs. The DELAY knob had NO noticeable change when trying all the settings. I was IN salt water and was using a delay of 10. When I set it at 7 there was no increase in response at all from the salt water effect. The different delay settings were all responding the same. Maybe it is in direct relationship to the volume pot not working properly as all delay settings were working fine until the volume control problem.

Was it obviously different when you got it back? Did you get the same unit back or a replacement? It will have been in their hands a week tomorrow and I haven’t heard from them. When calling it in they said I’d hear in 3 days. I really don’t understand failures like this - normal design and construction techniques would not allow it over time. I  did not play with settings much at all. Found what worked and left it that way. One day though it went wacko and I discovered the delay switch issue. After that I had some trouble with tones during sweeps (had this with other detectors too though). Then I test depth on a nickel and realize it’s ~11”. I hope they figured all this out.

2 hours ago, bklein said:

Was it obviously different when you got it back? Did you get the same unit back or a replacement? It will have been in their hands a week tomorrow and I haven’t heard from them. When calling it in they said I’d hear in 3 days. 

When I got it back, it was in perfect working order. The delay switch was working as it should again. I got the same unit back every time it went in for repair... (5 times in just over 2 years). It was always gone for a minimum of one month each time. After the last repair it leaned up against the wall for months in fear of another problem happening again until I sold it. This was also occurring from day one of purchase and I explained it to Fisher along with the "delay" problem.

Please check the MODE knob. 
When switching from All Metal to Tone or Mute mode and then back to All Metal...it may take 10 to 20 seconds for the all metal mode to respond / work properly again. When switching back to the All Metal, the AQ would "howl" when the coil was moved back and forth. I have at times turned the machine off and back on again to "fix" this issue. This has been happening since first receiving the AQ. In the beginning I thought it was just the way it was and could live with it but.... Now I am reluctant to even check targets in this fashion for fear the all metal mode will not work as it should. The iron grunt is rarely heard even on bad targets. Just doesn't seem right. as other AQ owners happily use the tone mode.

• Oh my! 1

Wow, what other things went wrong with it?

Were all your repairs in-warranty?

Yeah the things that sound after switching delay or mode are unfortunate and could be muted with more design effort. I can live with it but really worry about the craziness you describe with the Mode switch.  

Never really checked for differences in size of the target, responses but I did notice the lower delay settings (7/8/9) were noisey In rough (Brackish) water. Calm water they were fine....My best settings, I would start at 10 delay, if noisey I would go up to 11 for several minutes than back to 10 and it seemed to smooth out, by going up than back.  Even set at 10 delay I was impressed with how well it did on the smaller gold rings.  The ring in the video below was 1.37 grams? And not 15 inches but 14 after I got home and measured. (If I remember correct) 

2 hours ago, okara gold said:

When I got it back, it was in perfect working order. The delay switch was working as it should again. I got the same unit back every time it went in for repair... (5 times in just over 2 years). It was always gone for a minimum of one month each time. After the last repair it leaned up against the wall for months in fear of another problem happening again until I sold it. This was also occurring from day one of purchase and I explained it to Fisher along with the "delay" problem.

Please check the MODE knob. 
When switching from All Metal to Tone or Mute mode and then back to All Metal...it may take 10 to 20 seconds for the all metal mode to respond / work properly again. When switching back to the All Metal, the AQ would "howl" when the coil was moved back and forth. I have at times turned the machine off and back on again to "fix" this issue. This has been happening since first receiving the AQ. In the beginning I thought it was just the way it was and could live with it but.... Now I am reluctant to even check targets in this fashion for fear the all metal mode will not work as it should. The iron grunt is rarely heard even on bad targets. Just doesn't seem right. as other AQ owners happily use the tone mode.

Very sorry to see Okra..

With 5 send in's I would have asked for a new machine or a refund. 

38 minutes ago, bklein said:

Yeah the things that sound after switching delay or mode are unfortunate and could be muted with more design effort. I can live with it but really worry about the craziness you describe with the Mode switch.  

I discovered a issue with both my AQ's, At first I thought it was the machines but discovered it was due to the location of the machine/coil when I turned them on.. or switching Mods.. they would act stupid..audio sounded like a motor boat than would not detect anything. It finally hit me that it was caused by the location, any where there was a large metal object..with in several feet, like in the garage, near my car..etc. It would happen.. Now I know it's best to turn on out in the wild.. 

20 hours ago, bklein said:

Volume knob 3 times, Delay knob, 2 times plus an issue when just touching the right side of the housing or delay knob the unit would squeal loudly. (Probably one was associated with the other. Faulty earphones, and corrosion constantly in the battery cable.

• Oh my! 1

19 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Very sorry to see Okra..

With 5 send in's I would have asked for a new machine or a refund. 

I sure did Joe. I nicely asked for a refund and Felix had to check with others and the answer was NO. Send it in under warranty. FT had my machine more than I did. Did I love my AQ? Absolutely... but with the high incidence of repairs and with only several months remaining on the warranty, it was time to say goodbye. It also let me down on 2 important trips to NY to hunt some old, lucrative heavy black sand lakes. Always in for repair :sad:

• Oh my! 2