Hi,

I am a 5 month noob to metal detecting, past 6 weeks with my new Gold Bug (non manual gb model). When working DW tails do you guys shoot  both piles? I have not been working the finer box end tails , just the coarser back end stuff. Is it a mistake ?

Welcome to the forum! I pulled 4 small nugs from the fines end yesterday afternoon. I've had more success in the fines than in the coarse ends. Dry washers miss a lot especially when the operators don't know what they are doing. Check it all! Kick or rake down the piles until nice and flat then check them out. 

IMG_0694.JPG

Clay ball showing small nug recovered from fines pile. Actually, there were two nugs in there:smile:!

This is one one the reasons why you want to hit the fines pile. Clay! DWers nightmare. 

Good luck!

Dean

• Like 3

check both headers and tails...and work the hole that the dirt came from. Often times the gold will roll off the shovel and back in the hole. Most drywashers have detectors now-however- from speaking to them they don't always use the detector nor know how to use it. Just one more thing, where the big rocks have been tossed is nearly virgin ground as most won't move them. Just rake them back into the wash and detect the underneath carefully. 

You have a small coil get it on the ground and overlap every swing...good luck!

fred

• Like 2

Hit both! Go over the area first then rake things out, one perticular spot I hit at least once a year is one of the very few areas here in Australia Drywashers were well known and they didn't work real efficiently either... After iv been over with a detector sometimes it's even worth feeding the dirt back through one of today's Drywashers.

Only 3 little nuggets origionaly detected with a Gold bug the rest from a few hours Dry blowing.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

The. Larger nuggets come from the head piles. I used to find lots of nuggets in the old winnoning piles, they lost morre gold than the dry washers.