Tesoro Mojave Vs Silver Sabre Umax?

NCtoad

I have a mojave and have always been interested in the silver sabre micromax.  There’s a silver sabre with the brown 8” donut coil for sale on the friendly forum and was wondering if it has any advantages over the mojave. I’ve read about how good the SS umax is and it intrigues me enough to consider buying one. However, if it’s similar in performance to the mojave, I can’t see any justification in buying one. 

They are both great detectors. If you have a concentric coil on your Mohave then there no sense in getting the Silver umax. If you want an extra detector for a backup it would be great to have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

They are both great detectors. If you have a concentric coil on your Mohave then there no sense in getting the Silver umax. If you want an extra detector for a backup it would be great to have.

Thanks and yes it has the stock 7” concentric coil.  Just was wondering if the SSumax had something special going on inside.  I know it’s 10khz verses 12 for the mojave, but I don’t see anything else that makes it all that much different or better.  

A step up with Tesoro is the 4 pin coil detectors. The Tejon, Vaquaro & Cibola are 2" to 3" deeper depending on your ground. 

I had a Tesoro Shadow X2 with a 7" concentric. In my mild ground it got approx. 7" on a penny. It was nice. Just listen for those soft whispers.

• Like 1

I don't have an answer but I can tell you where to get great and detailed info on any Tesoro detector ever made.  Join Monte Berry's AHRPS forum and ask there (preferably in the Tesoro sub-forum).  Monte is a Tesoro enthusiast, connoisseur, afficianado, fanatic(?), former dealer with nearly 60 years of detecting experience who's owned&used almost every model and in some cases multiples simultaneously.  Just so happens the Silver Saber Micromax is one of his two all-time favorite Tesoro models.  Short of the late Jack Gifford (founder) and his engineers he probably knows/knew more about Tesoro detectors than just about anyone alive or dead.  He happens to be a member here (username Monte) but hasn't posted in over a year and apparently hasn't even logged in for a couple months.  He's extremely active on his own forum, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I believe the Mojave doesn't have an all metal mode / Pin Point and the Silver Saber does. Silver Saber also has analog audio where the newer Tesoros had digital. Tejon has vco analog audio or can be switched to digital with the pitch knob. I prefer the analog audio on it over digital as I can hear the tone rolls much better. Really saves ya digging trash.

Mojave does have the advantage over the Silver Saber with the ground balance control so you have ranges you can change. Silver Saber and few others with fixed ground balance may false if grounds are really bad but I also have a Cibola with fixed gb and have taken it around some pretty miserable ground without any falsing.

You may want to look for a Bandito II. Couple the guys on Monte's site might have one for sale.

• Like 3

Mojave... for maximally good 3D deep separation,, I recommend slow sweeping with the coil..., with normal movement of the coil, the 3D deep separation is a bit worse ...

with Mojave ..when searching for deep coins - even low conductive  hamered coins, you can see the effect of increasing the VDI with a deep target.../ .we know the effect of a 1-frequency VLF detector/ where the VDI increases strongly for deep low-conductivity targets ...and therefore you can use a high-set discrimination ..

where the Mojave will stand out strongly is the 2D flat separation of the "Monte performance Nailboard test"-situation in "Ghost Town".. this separation on the 7" CC precision coil is really excellent..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mojave sounds almost identical to the Cibola. Cibola has a true all metal pinpoint, fixed gb where Mojave has 3 settings. Cibola also has a threshold control that can boost target response.

Silver Sabre has the older audio circuit so it has nuances the other 2 don't. If you can get a good deal on one you would like it. Fixed GB on the Tesoro's isn't that much of a big deal on the ED120 circuits as they run really stable in iron infestation unlike the Lobo and Tejon with ED 180 that will pick up on the tiniest bits of crap like rusty chunks, coal, hot rocks, tiny foil etc.

Coin and relic the 120 circuits are less fussy and work well.

• Like 2

Kac...Thank you very much for the explanation.. about the tesoro circuits..... I want to add one more important thing...

Mojave can be used on concentric coils 5.75" CC and 7" CC .. even on very mineralized 6-7 BAR Fe3o4 terrain.. / Measured on ...Teknetics G2/ ...if you have the mineralization switch set to High.., with a good signal and reach for silver Dime to a depth of 4"-4.5"..
Mojave on the SEF 6x8"DD coil can work on such mineralized terrain ..even on setting the GB switch to "Low mineralization".. with a good signal ..on Dime at 4.5" with a border signal at a depth of 5" ..

I want to say that I consider Mojave to be a sufficiently universal detector for various mineralized terrain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2