Back To The 9 Today, Spectacle'ur!

Glad to see your using that deus 2 and getting acquainted with it. They are great relic hunting machines...If you like swinging something really light look for a used deus 1 with the HF elliptical coil ...now thats like swinging a feather and has great separation if your into the nails. I dont see many square nails in the photo...do you see many where you hunt? 

strick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, strick said:

Glad to see your using that deus 2 and getting acquainted with it. They are great relic hunting machines...If you like swinging something really light look for a used deus 1 with the HF elliptical coil ...now thats like swinging a feather and has great separation if your into the nails. I dont see many square nails in the photo...do you see many where you hunt? 

strick 

Ya know, I might just take a "step back" at some point, but I'd speculate that the D2 is everything the D1 was and then some 😀 XP must do a small ellipse for it. 🤬 No excuses. I'm considering doing the WS6 master at some point.

Yikes, square nails! I pretty much just got to the point where I can avoid them! 🤣 Pushing bottle cap a bit and Disc IAR in Relic do the trick. 😁

You wouldn't believe (or maybe you can) how many different types of nails you encounter here with almost 400 years of history. 😵 I've dug round ones, ancient forged nails with the big heads, square, and even square copper nails like the one in the photo. They tell a story, but my story is "Too Many". Luckily this field I'm hunting right now doesn't have any construction sites. I have no idea why I found a copper nail on the middle of it.

This is a Maritime area, so copper (bronze?) nails are common. I have a few places that have more nails than dirt. I'm waiting for two of them to get cleared so I can try my Vaquero. 😀 The Equinox is useless there even with the 10x5.

I may try some discrimination, generally I like to run my machines hot and wide open. 

• Like 1

I love digging square nails lol and keep the ones I find. They are scarce in northern Michigan. One of the reason I like relic hunting with my Tejon. It's hits on iron bigger than a regular nail. It's single tone but has a language and I know when I'm digging iron. If I want iron relics I use my Tejon. None of my other detectors find all the iron relics like the Tejon can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

I love digging square nails lol and keep the ones I find. They are scarce in northern Michigan. One of the reason I like relic hunting with my Tejon. It's hits on iron bigger than a regular nail. It's single tone but has a language and I know when I'm digging iron. If I want iron relics I use my Tejon. None of my other detectors find all the iron relics like the Tejon can. 

So I've been told by kac, Joe D, and Dogodog. 😀 I bought a Vaquero, and definitely want to learn that "language". So far it's been beep dig, but I know there's more.

I did a test not too long ago with all 4 of my detectors. 20221024_131517.thumb.jpg.bae3f07990c375c96d974484c33fee9d.jpgI took a board, put it down on the grass in a spot my detector found was clear. Got two silver coins, and two square nails.20221024_132100.thumb.jpg.aa951dcf224c235b1617c36f1cb41ce6.jpg

First I waved my detector over the nail alone, on the Vaquero and Ace 400 I discriminated it out, and then put the nails on top of the coins as shown.

The Ace was a disaster, it showed a signal but was silent because I didn't have iron audio on, it should have hit the coins. The Equinox got the coin signal in one direction, pretty much what I expected. The Deus also missed it sadly, but with disc turned past the nail the Vaquero went off. 👍 Every time, and from every angle.

I call it the "F350 Crapboard test™" 🤣 it opened my eyes to the magicks of the Tesoro.

• Like 4

LOVE your Colonial buckle! 

I've NEVER seen one dug on the west coast.  Given our earliest European contact period influence goes back to the Spanish in the 1700's, I suppose it's theoretically possible, although those buckles seem to be more of an English influenced item then Spanish (I could be wrong).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

LOVE your Colonial buckle! 

I've NEVER seen one dug on the west coast.  Given our earliest European contact period influence goes back to the Spanish in the 1700's, I suppose it's theoretically possible, although those buckles seem to be more of an English influenced item then Spanish (I could be wrong).

Out of likes, I'll get back to ya. 🙄

I hunted the last of the small field until about 2, figured I'd go over to the big one to find a foundation I spied on the Lidar maps. It was a long walk to it, so I decided to walk the "track" where I think they were racing horses. Got to the spot where it gets pretty thin, and bam. Made my day.

I was out in this field in early spring, got some buttons and horse tack way out back. Really didn't find much, but they just turbo tilled the farm in 2 directions a few days ago. Turbo tilling doesn't go very deep, but I think it takes a lot of "fluff" out of the soil, making the first 4" a bit tighter. I'm sure more will be found.

With the remnants of Nicole dropping pretty heavy rain today, by Monday it should be "just right". 🙂 

I found the foundation but it may just be a trash dump, have to wait for the foliage to go and the spiders and snakes to hibernate.

28 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Out of likes, I'll get back to ya. 🙄

I hunted the last of the small field until about 2, figured I'd go over to the big one to find a foundation I spied on the Lidar maps. It was a long walk to it, so I decided to walk the "track" where I think they were racing horses. Got to the spot where it gets pretty thin, and bam. Made my day.

I was out in this field in early spring, got some buttons and horse tack way out back. Really didn't find much, but they just turbo tilled the farm in 2 directions a few days ago. Turbo tilling doesn't go very deep, but I think it takes a lot of "fluff" out of the soil, making the first 4" a bit tighter. I'm sure more will be found.

With the remnants of Nicole dropping pretty heavy rain today, by Monday it should be "just right". 🙂 

I found the foundation but it may just be a trash dump, have to wait for the foliage to go and the spiders and snakes to hibernate.

You can't beat that 👍  Validation of your research paid off!

Please tell me about the Lidar maps?

I've seen that there's some sources for govt. produced Lidar maps, but you have to use some special mapping software to use them.  After seeing Josh Gates and others show the results of using Lidar to map out the history we cannot see on the ground, it's intrigued me that this could be the "next" research tool to use out west to locate old forgotten stage stops relegated to footnotes in the history books, and other similarly "lost" sites. I'd love to learn how to leverage publicly available Lidar data to use for our research.

We've developed "methods" to deal with overgrowth (small bushes, small sucker trees, etc) 🙂  I'm with you on snakes.  TomCA has no snake caution, but having grown up in rattlesnake country, I certainly do. 

2 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Please tell me about the Lidar maps?

Here's the link, I bookmarked it and use it all the time. Someone on this forum called attention to it a while back, and it's been really useful:

https://apps.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

Zoom in to where you want to look using the base map. Then click or tap on the layers button (stacked squares), and select "3dep hillside stretched". That's the view I find most useful.

Most farms here have been worked for so long that much of the detail disappears, and that's where historic aerials comes in. I plot all the stuff in OnX Hunt, and go there 🙂 it was easy to find that spot, and with historic aerials I found a barn I was looking for in dense overgrowth.

I'm setting it up now to mark a 300+ year old road that might lead to a war of 1812 site. It's long gone and overgrown, but the Lidar shows it pretty clearly. Going to have to hack my way in! The owner is ok with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2