Metal Detecting Companies Run By A Finance Guru

this has always been my strong belief. When a great metal detecting company loses its founder and is replaced by a financial person. Apple tried it with a CEO from  pepsi john sculley who was a consumer brand wizard or Microsoft elevated steve balmer to CEO who was another consumer branding guru.

I think the same fate has hit garrett with the current ceo. Zero experience in metal detector design. I wonder if he has ever gone metal detecting in the wild.

garrett ceo.jpg

17 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Frankly, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Once again we're all reminded that detectorprospector.com isn't your typical social media site.  You can ask questions and even express doubt in an idea, but when you come on strong with a statement you'd better have the evidence to back it up.  (And don't dare get political....)  Two of many reasons I really like coming here.  Thanks, Steve.

• Like 6

I just looked up him on linkedin. obviously not enough info to make this post about Steve. I apologize to Steve and anyone who knows a lot more about him than I do.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, actually that was a bit strong, and so I apologize to maxxkatt.

OK, your first sentence (the one I quoted) could have been softer.  The rest of it was spot on.  Glad you are self-monitoring/correcting -- another reason that sets this site above others.  In the current world it seems stating things without evidence (often without a smidgen of research/invtestigation) is common practice.  Does this proliferation of poor practice mean someone who does deserves a pass?  Is it only a problem for important topics (safety, health, equality, liberties, future of the planet)?  Everyone should answer for him/herself.  I certainly have mine....

• Like 2

I wouldn't want Garrett run by a hard core metal detector user, we are a weird bunch, bordering on completely nutty.  We spend countless hours swinging a beeping stick hoping to find treasure, often spending far more on our equipment than we will ever find in "treasure".   Many of us including and especially myself build up a collection of metal detectors we are unlikely to ever use, that's not good business acumen.

I'd prefer it be run by someone far more sensible, using the product extensively isn't even remotely necessary to doing a good job running a business, having a good set of ears and listening to customers and staff can do far more for success than using the products personally.  Garrett to me seems to be on the right path and well on their way to becoming a brand we all want in our collections, and not for the role of dust collectors in the cupboard.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is why I visit this site often during my day. I always find something interesting to read even when I may find the topic more akin to raw opinions or click bait than actually being based on facts. 

Keeping it as real as possible is what I respect the most even when things like detecting in general and differing opinions about different detectors are subject to plenty of subjectivity and site specific conditions. 

Even when there appears to only be the same old nuts and bolts stuff (especially from me) to read here and debate about, there is also a wealth of solid knowledge in most of these decade of old posts.

Thanks for setting this straight from your perspective Steve H and maxxkatt, thanks for giving Steve H that opportunity. 

• Like 2