I think it pretty Cool that Steve has has managed to put together a website that has pulled together so many thoughtful and knowledgeable people on this hobby from the US and around the globe.  Pretty awesome, it really is and part of the awesomeness is that you all take the time to spread your knowledge to anyone who requests it.  I am enjoying this ride through metal detecting knowledge and history.  Thanks. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

My experience with the CTX project was mostly positive. As with any new totally new platform it is a long road, and there is always someone that wants something different to you. But there can also be a complete 180 when enough field testers all report the same complaint. One of the most challenging (but very fun) tasks was when most of the features/functions were locked in and Greg Johns and myself had to revisit the whole menu interface and try and simplify it but still make it practical and logical, without reinventing the wheel, in this case the basic framework that was already in the software. There are always limitations due to the number of buttons you can have on the control panel, but I'm kind of proud of the final result.   

Steve, if you come to Oz again, we'll get Des over and make that campfire happen :smile:

Hmmmm.... there are just always more reasons for a "Return to Oz"!

OK, you will like this Nenad. So I get my nice shiny new CTX. Been awhile, so I go hit the park with it. No worries, who needs owners manual - I have run this machine.

Doing basic setup - where the $%&# do I turn on the Target Trace? I go though all the menus. I push all the buttons. I go through the menus again. I could not for the life of me figure out where the setting was. So on getting home grab the manual and find out that you have to push and hold the Detect button to get to the Target Trace menu.

My old unit Target Trace was on and stayed on so I never used the function more than a couple times. It therefore never got committed to memory. Bottom line is shortcuts are nice but it would also be nice if all functions can be reached in the main menu settings, even if it is redundant. That way there is one "go to" place for everything.

The other one that always gets me is how to turn beach mode on and off with the X-Terra 705.

My favorite feature of the Racer 2 - everything on screen right there. No guessing what the functions are or how to access them.

Ah well, like all tools, just need to learn how to run them!

• Like 3

Fred, the msrp of that coil is astronomical for its size. Going to need a deep discount before I spring for it.

Paul, you really are a troublemaker. LOL

• Like 1

Steve....I'm glad you admitted to having beach mode on on the 705 too ..

That used to drive me crazy...lolol...but I didn't tell anyone...

Merton, just give up some of that cash !

I am in the process of buying a different vehicle....And I caught myself thinking..... "I don't know, 7000.00 is a lot of money to spend on a vehicle"

That's when my buddy reminded me what I paid for the 7000GPZ...lol..

Ok...give me the dang truck!

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Well if you are only wanting a good ID unit at depth for only occasional use,,a used se pro can be had cheap,,,pick up a 6x8 self coil,,,and hunt away.

You won't be really getting much lighter detector than a CTX,,,but the se pro will hunt,,,etrac too.

Of course with the CTX , threatening weather and water hunting are possible..

I like my CTX unit,,but I trade off with it and Deus frequently,,and depending on the site at hand.

On 11 May 2016 at 1:08 AM, PhaseTech said:

My experience with the CTX project was mostly positive. As with any new totally new platform it is a long road, and there is always someone that wants something different to you. But there can also be a complete 180 when enough field testers all report the same complaint. One of the most challenging (but very fun) tasks was when most of the features/functions were locked in and Greg Johns and myself had to revisit the whole menu interface and try and simplify it but still make it practical and logical, without reinventing the wheel, in this case the basic framework that was already in the software. There are always limitations due to the number of buttons you can have on the control panel, but I'm kind of proud of the final result.   

Steve, if you come to Oz again, we'll get Des over and make that campfire happen :smile:

N,

You were right there at 'the coal face' so to speak. If you wanted to check on progress all you had to do was to walk across the yard and into the centre of creativity and you were always 'up-to-the-minute' in the creative process.

My experience was the total opposite. 

In fact, the previous daily communication enjoyed during the massive creative input I was allowed for years was denied me for reasons I am still trying to figure out? I have my suspicions and suspect ' a managerial problem?'

The best part of the "process" was coming to Australia and getting to meet you in 2011.

We had enjoyed that fabulous daily communication for years and collectively co-created some world-class detector models that have turned out to be 'legendary' in the industry.

Des D

• Like 4

I purchased a CTX today. I decided to go with the 6" coil instead of the Coiltek. Still interested in hearing a review on it though, Steve.

• Like 3