2 hours ago, goldbrick said:

niche my Deus and Racers are not the best performers

Sounds like you already have some very nice detectors that would be better in some ways than the 3030, other ways not, but it is nice if not for anything else, not to have to worry about it getting wet.  Also, if your into quality as you seem to be, It's a well made machine and feels very solid, almost overbuilt.  Additionally, since you have 7 machines, adding one more would only be about a 13% increase in machines.

• Like 1

Well I would wait for Nenad to Chime in because he has no doubt used the Joey Coil too As I did, mainly over here I have seen them on E-tracs and Explorers and they were the go to coil for them, Before the release of the CTX it was the best small Coil for BBS and FBS machines. And It might even Boost their prospecting Ability, 

• Like 2

I saw on the net that Nenad has used them and was hoping he would chime in with his opinion. l am going out to sea for a couple days so I will check on this thread when I am in port again.

On 5/6/2016 at 11:18 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Just got my second CTX a few days ago. Bottom line after trying lots of alternatives I am back to the CTX. Took it out for its first outing only yesterday, and was impressed once again by its stability and solid target ID numbers. I have a Coiltek Joey on order for it but everything I have read about the coil says it is not much different than the 6" coil for performance, main advantage just being a bit better ground coverage and a solid bottom. In the thickest trash I would still opt for the 6" but I see the Joey as being a good option in rough or brushy terrain.

Currently in my opinion the best lower price alternative to the CTX is - believe it or not - the Garrett AT Pro. Basically a lighter weight less expensive single frequency waterproof alternative to the CTX. The Garrett AT Pro is one of the best values on the market in my opinion and with a ton of coil options. Go AT Gold if you want a true all metal prospecting mode, but most of us have a detector for that already. The AT Pro can still do decent service as a backup nugget detector regardless of the lack of threshold based all metal mode and may have the edge on the CTX in that regard.

For my purposes the GPZ has me addicted to the wireless module and GPS systems and I can share a battery and charger system with my GPZ. Toss in the advantages of multi frequency for salt water and the CTX target trace function and I think the CTX 3030 is worth the extra money myself. Plus, after swinging a GPZ most of the time the CTX seems much lighter than it used to!

The Deus and Racer 2 have an edge for extracting targets from the thickest trash (AT is no slouch either), but lack the CTX ability to have a very high confidence factor for target ID, and since I want to up my game for urban detecting I decided a machine that has the best chance of delivering a good target with least holes dug was in order, and indeed the CTX still appears to be king in that regard.

Hi Steve,

I used to love the wireless options too, but when i used JP's booster/dual speaker rig i found that it sounded much better plugged directly in to the back of the machine...

(personal opinion...seemed to me the wireless module had a hiccup in it that annoyed me)

PS.. Merton---Go ahead and get the 3030.... you need to find a way to spend some of that mouldy saltwater logged money anyway :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 5/8/2016 at 7:18 PM, goldbrick said:

I can justify the purchase of the CTX/other detector to myself as it will fill a niche my Deus and Racers are not the best performers in but really where does the detector/coil collecting insanity end?

I am guessing it only ends when we get too old to detect or just die? That being the case I see no reason to rush towards that end - stick with being insane. The CTX is one of the sweetest detectors I have ever used and feels much better on the arm than the weight would imply.

I will report on my new Joey when I get it - it will be latest build. I hope the stupid holes are now the correct size for the CTX bolt - that was a VERY annoying issue with early builds one should not have to deal with in a premium priced coil.

One last thought - never say never with detecting brands - you never know when any brand might all of the sudden make a killer machine. Everyone makes a crappy design now and then, especially if we talk ergonomics and basic physical attributes.

• Like 3

Has anybody heard when the next version (CTX 4040) is coming out?

The CTX 3030 has been out for quite a while now. I thought we would have seen an improved (recovery speed or deeper) version by now.

-Don

I would not hold my breath. The time to do it would have been right now in conjunction with the change to the battery seal and armrest mechanism. Toss in a few other changes and it could have been called a CTX 4040. The fact that did not happen leads me to believe the CTX 3030 is with us for awhile yet, which is why I just got a new one.

Thanks Steve, I have been thinking about buying a CTX 3030. I have tried some of the new Nokta detectors but I spend too much time with bad target ID's compared to better behaved machines like the Fisher F19. (The Fors Relic gives me a headache.) I don't have all the time in the world so when out detecting, I need to cherry pick quickly.

• Like 2

Yeah, the Turkish units like the Deus tend to upscale deep non-ferrous VDI readings in bad ground. Not a bad thing if you just want all non-ferrous, but I sure see lots of aluminum getting upscaled into high coin range when using the Deus or Nokta/Makro units. The CTX holds solid VDI numbers right up until they drop out as being undetectable. If every hole counts it is hard to beat a CTX.

• Like 1