The hardest part about the CTX is learning how to speak R2D2, those tone changes are really quite unique and very confusing, The manual needs a section telling a person what happens when you adjust the values within the menu's but if they did that it would be 6 inches thick, but you have to love that FBS system on deep targets.

I find the CTX to be a remarkably easy detector to operate. It just works and can be turn on and go for beginners. Tones should not be an issue - just use what you like. Two tone ferrous/non-ferrous is about as simple as it gets if that is the users preference.

• Like 1

I hated the time wasted prototyping the CTX.

4 years from Nov '08 - Spring '12

I was against the project from the beginning and was very vocal about that. (no wonder I'm not employed there anymore!)

It went from prototyping a few 'E Trac 2's' and all of a sudden and what seems like 'overnite' it became what it is today.

What I [ had wanted ] in that 4 year time frame was: a New Digital Sovereign (the Legend): a New Digital Musketeer ( the Storm)

Years before that they [ ignored ] my requests for a 'pin pointer' - years TOO LATE they introduce the 'dismal' Pro Find 25

Many years before that I submitted [ plans / specs / drawings / names ] for a 'beginner model' and many years later they introduce the disaster Go Figure!

I wouldn't be 'holding my breath' for a 4040.....

• Like 4

The Musketeer was the most fun machine ever made, and it was a deep little devil too and the Relic Hawk was a Awesome machine, I wish they still made them in that style / design

I remember many phone calls with you Des, Oh the Good Ole Days.

john

Yes John - I agree about the 'black' Musketeer XS & XS Pro

I still have a mint XSPro control box and some TS coils

Haven't used that combo since '02 or '03 since I penned a Field Test for it.

(also have new Relic Hawk coils/shafts)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2016 at 4:15 PM, goldbrick said:

I saw on the net that Nenad has used them and was hoping he would chime in with his opinion. l am going out to sea for a couple days so I will check on this thread when I am in port again.

I used the 10x5" on the CTX and I ran it exclusively for a while for everything except wide open beach hunts. I really liked it, except for one point: it wouldn't fold down flat. Like when you put the detector on the ground to dig, the coil would remain at 45 degrees. After starting to use the Fors CoRe and a little later the Gold+ with 10x5" coil, I decided I would never really need a 10x5" on the CTX, so the stock 11" has been on my CTX ever since. 

Many years ago I tried a 10x5" on my Sovereign, and it was hot, almost too hot. I only ever used my Sovereign for beach hunting and always came back to the 10" BBS coil. 

• Like 4

The Relic Hawk wasn't a big success in the market, I think due it being quite expensive, and apart from the large coil, it was based on the Minelab Stirling, which was 1/3 of the price and half the weight. 

• Like 1

Thanks Nenad, I like the Older ML machines, I made some great finds back then and they did put the fun indetecting, now a person has to be a programmer too which some enjoy but I just can't wait to dig and do my research, The CTX is a great machine but the junk here makes detecting very slow, You should come over some time because I have a place where not many have detected and I have been finding parts of Roman Helmets and allsorts near by and I have found a Villa but no one knows yet,

john

• Like 2

If there was a ctx 4040 , that would be close to the perfect machine one would think . However if an old sovereign can take down a ctx 3030 in a friendly competition on the busiest beach in South East Queensland , you could have a ctx 7070z and get out performed by a sovereign with a 15 inch wot on the same section of beach , dirt etc , what it comes down to , is not the detector but the operator of the detector , if your comfortable with your machine you will become an operator instead of a " driver  " or user of you machine . As an operator your the master of your detector , as a user the detector is the master of you. The results of your efforts will reflect this analogy. Most detectors are so similar in capability except a few exceptions , the operator makes the difference between detectors. 

Danny 

• Like 1