Fur Trade & Gold Rush Sites In One Day!

A view with the other period targets from this "buckle village" side of our site :  Camp lead, Toe-tap, keeper, pistol balls, gun part, thimble, underwear buttons, ball button, and 2 -piece button (nothing on either of them).    These are all fun history to our growing collection to the provenance of this site.   Nothing here has dated to after the mid to late 1850s, so :  Any find is an interesting find.   Even the junk is "fun junk", so-to-speak.

r1.jpg

• Like 4

Great run y'all, I really get a kick out of your stories and the stuff you find. 👍 Out of likes for today. 🙄 Been busy trapped inside all day by this pesky hurricane. 😵

The ebike thing is growing on me, but none of my permissions are miles to get to, so swinging a detector while walking there has produced some pretty interesting stuff. I do bring my golf cart on a trailer sometimes! 😀 It handles the farms well and is great as a refuge from the brutal winds we get from now to April. 🤬

You're definitely finding some pretty old buckles! The stamped ones are awesome, only place we find those here are civil war sites. I feel the same way about bronze rings, very cool.

Looking forward to future tales! 👍

• Thanks 1

Looks like the 2 of you had a very nice hunt together with some great finds.

Wish you more luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Looks like the 2 of you had a very nice hunt together with some great finds.

Wish you more luck on your next outing.

Thanks!  We're in the midst of planning a potentially epic adventure that's coming up soon.  I remain cautiously optimistic about the sites we have lined up, as in previous experiences we tend to find that for every ten sites we recon, seven have been strip mined or didn't actually exist (have encountered a few of these), two have only a few scant leftovers, and one will might be great.  We shall see.

• Like 1

Nice work fellas. Those naval anchor buttons are my favorites lots of detail. Brian I’ll need to pick your brain on the e bike as I’ve been looking at them also. Those star buckles were popular back then. Found a couple that were broken off stars... but never a whole one yet. 

Strick

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 6:07 AM, Rick N. MI said:

....  How did the ebikes do?

Worked great.  There is a .75 mile walk from where we had to park the car, to where we actually wanted to hunt.  In the past, that would be a 10 or 12 minute walk.  The Ebikes made that a 2 minute whirl.  

This was just a practice run, for an objective we have coming up, where a few spots involve several miles to get to.  One of them over landscape terra firma (poor trails, at best).  So we got the "fat tire" variety.   Already I can tell that's a benefit at our practice run.  Because in the particular case of where we were, it was grass at one point that we were crossing (cow-pasture type grass).  And it had just rained HARD the previous days.   So :  If we'd had regular street tires, I'm guessing they would have been more prone to "cut into the mud" (get stuck).  Versus fat tire where you have a better chance of traction in loose- or wet- terra-firma .   

Also : At the current price of gas, I find myself using mine for round-town errands (bank deposit, post office, etc....).   So it's beneficial in other ways besides the detecting purpose.

• Like 5