Fur Trade & Gold Rush Sites In One Day!

8 hours ago, Elbert said:

That is one hell of hunt. Congrats to both of you.

El

Thanks El, it was a fun hunt.  There's more there, hopefully we get back there one of these days.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:03 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

I remain cautiously optimistic about the sites we have lined up, as in previous experiences we tend to find that for every ten sites we recon, seven have been strip mined or didn't actually exist (have encountered a few of these), two have only a few scant leftovers, and one will might be great.  We shall see.

Sounds just like nugget hunting! Ive also called it the one out of ten rule. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WesD said:

Sounds just like nugget hunting! Ive also called it the one out of ten rule. 

We only have four primary sites of interest on our radar, hopefully one of them is the #10 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

You know one or two of them will be the next "magnum opus".  After all, I'm over-due for #17   tsk tsk   😏

Come to papa 🤠

Just getting around to reading this post as I was in Virginia all last week looking for Civil War Relics and it took me until today to get caught up on work. Nice bunch of finds guys! You really have the cream of the crop for sites to hunt.

Tom what's the story on the star buckle? Is that a Texas buckle? Part of a cast buckle was found with a star and those are Texas soldiers. 

On 11/16/2022 at 1:52 PM, Tom_in_CA said:

You know one or two of them will be the next "magnum opus".  After all, I'm over-due for #17   tsk tsk   😏

BTW Tom I picked up #17 this Summer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abenson said:

Just getting around to reading this post as I was in Virginia all last week looking for Civil War Relics and it took me until today to get caught up on work. Nice bunch of finds guys! You really have the cream of the crop for sites to hunt.

Tom what's the story on the star buckle? Is that a Texas buckle? Part of a cast buckle was found with a star and those are Texas soldiers. 

Did you get any CW relics?  I believe the buckle is a Gold Rush era buckle. 

#17, so you're one gold coin ahead of Tom? 🏆

• Like 2

Yea dug some relics, I'll try and make a post tomorrow or Sunday. That buckle looks like it's stamped brass, is that what it is or cast?

Yea but probably a $100 or more behind LOL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abenson said:

Yea dug some relics, I'll try and make a post tomorrow or Sunday. That buckle looks like it's stamped brass, is that what it is or cast?

Yea but probably a $100 or more behind LOL.

It's what Tom call's the "flimsy" style, so yeah stamped thin brass not cast.  They seem to be the most common.  There's a recently published book on these Gold Rush era tongue and wreath style buckles. 

Tom's dying to get #17 but he can wait, I'm only on #2 maybe #3 is waiting for me on our trek LOL

I bet you got some good stuff, I'll look for your post of your adventures!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:38 AM, abenson said:

You dirty dog !   Last time we talked on the phone, I was barely ahead of you.  Now you've gone and rained on my parade.  I gotta get my duff in gear and catch up !!  🤣