Deus2 - Woods Season Has Begun ..

palzynski

Nice stuff! I love it when people post photos of the environment, however risky that might be. 👍 I do understand why some don't, especially well-known places.

I can understand why you found the button where you did, in the USA ivy on the ground is a dead giveaway. I would imagine that is the same where you are. We also find homesites where we see daffodils growing, another great indicator on the east coast at least.

I'm out of likes for today, but congratulations on such great finds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I can understand why you found the button where you did, in the USA ivy on the ground is a dead giveaway. I would imagine that is the same where you are.

I am not sure I have correctly understood the "ivy on the ground is a dead giveaway" sentence sorry ...   

Ivy is everywhere in the woods over here , it is not a pb except for finding small targets and a pinpointer is very useful ..

47 minutes ago, palzynski said:

I am not sure I have correctly understood the "ivy on the ground is a dead giveaway" sentence sorry ...   

Ivy is everywhere in the woods over here , it is not a pb except for finding small targets and a pinpointer is very useful ..

I wondered if that would be confusing. 😀 When the English settlers came here, they brought English Ivy with them and planted it around their homes. It is now considered an invasive species in the USA. When the houses are removed the ivy blankets any area not tilled or cared for, so if you're in the woods a carpet of English ivy means a house was there.

This is an oversimplification, but ivy and daffodils are a great indicator of where houses once stood if there is no other clue in the USA. Guess it's everywhere there 🤔

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's really cool, thanks for the photos too.

I wonder how such an old coin could still be on the surface.  As an experiment I put a coin on my lawn last year and just left it there, I did it in a place the lawn mower can't get to, it's long gone underground now, my pinpointers can still get it, and obviously detectors can but it's buried itself underground somehow.  I really don't understand how coins sink like that, but they sink pretty quickly here.  All my old silver finds are usually very deep, modern coins are more shallow.  The older a coin is the deeper it is would be the general rule here.

The ground does get quite soft in winter though, so soft you leave footprints a few cm's deep before the frosts kick in 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

... I really don't understand how coins sink like that, but they sink pretty quickly here.  All my old silver finds are usually very deep, modern coins are more shallow.  The older a coin is the deeper it is would be the general rule here.

It depends , sometimes I find roman coins on the surface ...  And I still find new targets in fields where I have been detecting during 15 years ... Then for some reason some targets tend to move up to the surface . It would be a good topic for a master's thesis ...🙂

• Like 3

Congrats on the excellent finds! That looks like a beautiful and serene place, thanks for the photos.

In the fields, I would imagine that farm activity like cultivating brings up long buried items while turning over the soil. In most parks where I live, coins will only sink to the fill layer. The older (and unremodeled) the park, the deeper the older coins are, specially if they've put new sod over the old sod over the years. In the old ghost towns the opposite can occur. Wind and rain can and will erode the top ground layers and expose older coins and artifacts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Compliments for your finds and nice report!

I know that the “sinking” of a target is given by the soil density with the target density. Sinking will occur until the density of the target is equal to the density of the ground: at which point the target will stop sinking..

• Like 1