I Own A Whites MXT But Is It Still Competitive?

Years back I bought a MXT but circumstances changed and I never really used it. Common I'm sure.

But now I have moved back to where I bought it for (Arizona) and am interested in getting serious. I have friends who use detectors for crevicing for gold (very small stuff) and use Fisher Gold Bug 2s a lot. I used one and it was MUCH hotter than the MXT for small gold, at least with my stock 950 Coil (which was FAR better than the GB 2 for coins/relics). My plans are to enjoy detecting for lost coins and jewelry, yet going out with my buddy and friends who are pretty serious about prospecting. I am more recreational but my friend's friends are serious and have their own stamp mill and fine gold recovery equipment, but are still "small potatoes" at maybe an ounce a month types unless they hit a sizeable nugget (rare).

I have a used a 4X6 DD and a 5.3 concentric on the way, but started thinking that at my age (Older than dirt at 75) and with blessed enough money to afford a different machine (up to about $800), would I be better just selling what I have (I figured buying like-new used coils I could at least get my $$ back there, though would likely take a 60% "hit" on MXT) would I be better getting a newer machine with benefits from new technology? My reasoning is that I don't have THAT many years left, and time is money, so would spending some new money get me a detector that  would make me more productive/efficient (which would bring more satisfaction, and maybe some better finds).

Obviously this is a subjective conundrum and impossible to answer objectively (like asking if 2+2 is 4 would be), but I think I laid out the question reasonably with the BIG UNKNOWN (to me) being how much better the newer mid-priced machines really are (beyond the hype), and if they are, is it a noticeable amount better to justify switching to get one machine that "does it all."

One machine that LOOKS good (but I've not spoken w/ anyone swinging one) is the Nokta Legend kit ($600 w/ 2 Coils and wireless headset and extra battery). On paper it looks great (multi frequency for good coin/jewelry and high freq for prospecting). Not suggesting this is da bomb; just mentioned it as one of many I've looked at and read the specs. I have not seen real comparisons between what I HAVE (the MXT) and what is now available.

The GB 2 was impressive on small gold, but didn't seem impressive on other detecting, and is still expensive new (I see them for around $700-800 on ebay) and almost never on the used market. ADDING a GB 2 would be a nice alternative as the MXT is good on coins/jewelry but then I would have more than I feel I can justify on the hobby now (Selling the MXT + Coils would get me close to the cost of a new machine if ONE machine would be as good as the MXT for general use and the GB 2 (or equiv) for gold).

Sorry to be somewhat vague, but I just don't know the newer technology machines well enough to make an intelligent decision/choice. I'm sure many of those here have used what I have, and have newer stuff to compare with and can hopefully weigh in.

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 4

To answer your question Bob, while there have been advances in Metal detectors since the MXT was first released, it is a good unit, and many are still in use today.

How tech-savvy are you?  The Legend is a great machine and has a true prospecting mode that will find the small stuff.  It is completely menu driven, like a smartphone.  You could replace your current detector with it if that’s what you wanted.  Although, with knobs and switches, the MXT is easy to use.  The only complaint I’ve ever heard was that due to its 14 kHz frequency, it does poorly on finding deep copper and silver coins.  A Multi-frequency detector would help with that.

If you like the way it works, you might want to keep it and buy a dedicated Gold machine like the Garrett (formerly White’s) Goldmaster 24K.  Although it’s also menu driven, the adjustments are easy to make.  It’s going for about $680 US.

The simplest Gold Detectors are the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 at 45 kHz and the Nokta Gold Finder 2000 @ 61kHz (only 10 less than the GB2).  In the US the Minelab detector can be had for $899 and the Nokta for just under $722.  Both come with two coils but the GF2K has an external wireless speaker you can use as a stand-alone or you can plug headphones into if you like.  It also works with their Green Wireless Headphones (not included).

I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck!

Walt

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

The simplest Gold Detectors are the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 at 45 kHz and the Nokta Gold Finder 2000 @ 61kHz (only 10 less than the GB2). 

Glad you mentioned the Nokta Gold Finder 2000. Any experience w/that machine, or have you heard many first-hand reports?

It's pretty lean on YouTube content-wise relative to the GM1000 (and its obviously Nokta's aim to compete against), but 61kHz is appealing vs. the GM1000's 45kHz for that tiny, tiny stuff...which is what I have in my vicinity, but the GM1000 seems to sound off just fine on 0.03g+ pickers near surface.

• Like 1

I LIKE the MXT for everything but Gold (based on the 950 9 1/2" coil, the only one I've actually used so far) and it MAY do better with the 4X6 DD I just received in the mail today (and which may cause me to love it for gold, though I'm sure it will still be somewhat inferior at 14Khz),

BUT...

As much as I like it, I can justify buying a different detector ONLY if I sell it. I don't want to own JUST an "Gold Only" detector as good as the Bold Bug 2 or possibly the Nokta Gold Finder 1000 (I know next to nothing about this one) or a Gold Monster 1000.

The reason I brought up the Nokta "The Legend" is because it appears to offer the hope of a multi-use detector by being multi-frequency with reportedly good programs for each use. I still hope to hear from some folks actually using The Legend (or other multi frequency) detector and who has or who has had an MXT, and that may still happen.

If I COULD keep the MXT and get a second detector, then I'd have a wider field of choice since there are a number of higher frequency machines out there in the price range. At this point, I am frankly not sure there's enough gold to justify a gold-only detector, though I should know after a few trips with my friend to see him work his Gold Bug 2 in the field.

Dear Glacial Gold- I see you show experience with "The Legend," but you didn't comment on how it stacked up. What did YOU think of it?  

Bob

• Like 2

I took a class from Ray Mills in the Redding, California area.  He pretty much uses the GM1000 with the 5" coil.  He also has a GPX6000 but probably saves that for depth or bad ground.  He's a professional Nugget Hunter.  He also writes articles for the Mining Journal.  Steve H knows him.

I had plans early in the year to go to the GPAA Gold Show in Southern California but then they changed the date.  I was going to stop in Ray's area as well as Barstow (Coolgardie Area) or Randsburg and test out the GF2000.  Since they moved the show to July, I canceled the trip.

Right now, I'm swinging the Garrett GM24K.  It's only a little higher than the Monster @ 48kHz but has more adjustments.

I know high-frequency "Silent Search" detectors like the GM1K, GF2K, and the GB2 (silent in the Disc Mode) can find the small stuff but you just can't beat the extra sensitivity that comes with having a Threshold.

I have a friend with the Minelab.  We're planning a trip to our claim near Winnemucca, Nevada next year.  We'll get a chance to do a comparison then.

Walt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobinyelm said:

I LIKE the MXT for everything but Gold (based on the 950 9 1/2" coil, the only one I've actually used so far) and it MAY do better with the 4X6 DD I just received in the mail today (and which may cause me to love it for gold, though I'm sure it will still be somewhat inferior at 14Khz),

BUT...

As much as I like it, I can justify buying a different detector ONLY if I sell it. I don't want to own JUST an "Gold Only" detector as good as the Bold Bug 2 or possibly the Nokta Gold Finder 1000 (I know next to nothing about this one) or a Gold Monster 1000.

The reason I brought up the Nokta "The Legend" is because it appears to offer the hope of a multi-use detector by being multi-frequency with reportedly good programs for each use. I still hope to hear from some folks actually using The Legend (or other multi frequency) detector and who has or who has had an MXT, and that may still happen.

If I COULD keep the MXT and get a second detector, then I'd have a wider field of choice since there are a number of higher frequency machines out there in the price range. At this point, I am frankly not sure there's enough gold to justify a gold-only detector, though I should know after a few trips with my friend to see him work his Gold Bug 2 in the field.

Dear Glacial Gold- I see you show experience with "The Legend," but you didn't comment on how it stacked up. What did YOU think of it?  

Bob

Well then, if you're not afraid of the technology, I'd sell the MXT and buy a Legend.  You can purchase the detector with two coils for less than the price of the Equinox800 with one.  I'd opt for either the factory Neoprene housing cover or the canvas one from Deano on eBay.  

From my experience, the MXT didn't do well on small gold, even with the smaller coil. I've never been to run one with the sensitivity past 7.  Too bad they didn't put a Boost mode on it like they did the GMT!

With Whites being out of business, the value of their products seems to have dropped considerably.  I'm not sure you're going to get much for it, Bob.

Walt

15 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

To answer your question Bob, while there have been advances in Metal detectors since the MXT was first released, it is a good unit, and many are still in use today.

How tech-savvy are you?  The Legend is a great machine and has a true prospecting mode that will find the small stuff.  It is completely menu driven, like a smartphone.  You could replace your current detector with it if that’s what you wanted.  Although, with knobs and switches, the MXT is easy to use.  The only complaint I’ve ever heard was that due to its 14 kHz frequency, it does poorly on finding deep copper and silver coins.  A Multi-frequency detector would help with that.

If you like the way it works, you might want to keep it and buy a dedicated Gold machine like the Garrett (formerly White’s) Goldmaster 24K.  Although it’s also menu driven, the adjustments are easy to make.  It’s going for about $680 US.

The simplest Gold Detectors are the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 at 45 kHz and the Nokta Gold Finder 2000 @ 61kHz (only 10 less than the GB2).  In the US the Minelab detector can be had for $899 and the Nokta for just under $722.  Both come with two coils but the GF2K has an external wireless speaker you can use as a stand-alone or you can plug headphones into if you like.  It also works with their Green Wireless Headphones (not included).

I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck!

Walt

wait are you saying the Garrett 24 K can use wireless headphones that can be purchased or do you have to run a Bluetooth transmitter to allow you to use wireless headphones, which is what I am doing

24 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

wait are you saying the Garrett 24 K can use wireless headphones that can be purchased or do you have to run a Bluetooth transmitter to allow you to use wireless headphones, which is what I am doing

No, I was referring to the Gold Finder 2000 when I spoke of wireless.  However, I use the Garrett Z-Lynk Transmitter and MS3 headphones with the 24K.  6X faster than Bluetooth!  Although, many prefer an external speaker in the desert environment where poisonous snakes live.

Walt

• Like 1

Steve H may chime in at some point. He has used them all.

Oldkoot knows the Legend and is getting to know the Garrett 24K.

I have a lot of experience with the MXT, MX5, MX7 which are all good roughly 14kHz detectors and are sensitive to .25 gram and up gold with the right coils and do pretty well for coins, jewelry and relics depending on iron mineralization levels.

Some other possibilities are the Nokta Legend, Nokta Gold Kruzer, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, XP ORX or a used XP Deus 1. The Garret Goldmaster 24K, Nokta Gold Kruzer, Nokta Gold Finder 2000 and Minelab Gold Monster 1000 are mostly single frequency 45 kHz and higher gold nugget detectors due to the way they are setup, their features and coil selection. The Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend and XP ORX or original Deus can basically do it all. The Equinox and Legend can operate in single frequencies up to 40 kHz or in simultaneous multi frequency programs with 40 kHz being one of those multiple frequencies and they have dedicated gold prospecting modes that work very well. The ORX and original Deus have selectable single frequencies up to 81 kHz depending on what coil is being used and they have dedicated gold prospecting modes that also work very well for smaller gold. They are also the absolute lightest detectors available and are easy to break down, back pack and use in difficult terrain.

I don’t currently have an MXT. I do have the Equinox 800, Legend, ORX and the new Deus 2 (which I can’t recommend yet for small gold until there is a software update). I did do a lot of testing and some side by side prospecting with the MXT E Series and the ORX and Equinox. The MXT was competitive with the Equinox and ORX which were running on 40 to 54 kHz as long as the gold or targets were roughly 0.4 grams and bigger. Anything smaller, the Equinox and ORX quickly added an inch or more of potential depth and sensitivity. I have found the Legend to be just as sensitive to smaller gold as the Equinox which apart from the Garrett 24K is the benchmark for me anyway. I am a big fan of the 24K. Unfortunately for me, most of the areas I detect will quickly make the 24K overload so I have to turn sensitivity way down and when I do that the Equinox will out perform the 24K.

• Like 9

If I could give two thumbs up for the advice Jeff just posted for you, bobinyelm, I would. 

He pretty much covered the bases in terms of the state of the art in detectors using the vlf induction balance principle for gold prospecting (pulse induction is the other detector category geared towards serious prospecting but state of the art tech there is much more expensive).  And as others, including Jeff, have mentioned, Equinox 800 and Legend (and to a lesser extent Deus 1 and Orx) have the added advantage of being do-it-all detectors (coin, beach, relic in addition to gold) and the Equinox 800 and Legend are also waterproof with the Legend edging out the Equinox in terms of user interface and ergonomics.  When Nokta finally releases their 10x5 elliptical accessory coil for Legend tonaccompany their stock 11" coil and 6" round, you will have the same  advantage of ground coverage in addition to tight swing ability and light weight that Equinox users currently enjoy with the Coiltek 10x5 for Equinox. Legend and Equinox 800 both have wireless audio transmitters built-in.

The MXT is a classic (I have kept mine as a sort of detector Hall of Fame emeritus collector's item) and in its day was a true all purpose workhorse similar to what Legend and Nox (and to a lesser extent Deus 2, because it currently lacks micro gold capability) are considered today. 

The big differentiator in the newest crop of multi-purpose detectors (vs. MXT), besides modern microprocessor-based, programmable operation and user interface, is the incorporation of 1) multiple selectable single frequency modes and 2) game changing simultaneous multi-frequency operation modes which combined with sophisticated, fast digital signal processing enables superior ground handling and more sophisticated iron discrimination/filtering as well as more reliable target identification (not just detection) at depth.

• Like 8