I Own A Whites MXT But Is It Still Competitive?

Thanks, everyone, for your assessments.

The point that with Whites demise the value of their machines has cratered (I see MXT Series E like mine going unbought at under $250) is a valid one. I understand, but it's kind of strange because unlike owning a Saab, unique replacement parts are probably not needed that often, but I guess it's psychological more than rational.

Glad to hear The Legend is indeed a good machine. I see the kits w/ one coil and no extra Li battery now as low as $408 which is very reasonable, and I suspected the multi-frequency capability (if well executed) would be a game changer. Apparently it is! And the ability to update the machine (apparently over the internet?) is a great thing as I read a couple of articles that when they came out, The Legend had some short comings, but he authors after an update were very happy with the machines, and I hear support is very good.

It's just sad that another American company/manufacturer has disappeared and the lead passed to foreign competition. But then, I drive a Japanese car, and my home is filled with Chinese products, so am as guilty to promoting the trend as much as anyone.

My plan is to go use the MXT for a period with my friend, and when I feel frustrated enough, bite the bullet and likely get a Legend (unless something suddenly overtakes it I suppose). I know if I had to play baseball with a broken bat, or hunt with an inaccurate rifle it would not take long to get frustrated and lose interest, so I suspect a newer machine like The Legend is in my future, likely sooner than later. I tend to lose patience with inferior tools when better ones are available (Not hat an MXT is "inferior," just perhaps less efficient in the price range I can afford/justify.)

If I find that our gold exploits are fruitless even using his GB 2, whether because of poor pickings*, or limited site access, and we are confined to finding lost objects, maybe he MXT will be good enough for that and I will keep it as most people say (again I am open to correction) that's it is still a quite decent machine for that use. 

Thanks, all,

Bob  

*That 0.25gr sensitivity will prompt me to quiz my friend's friends (who are serious prospectors) about their experience with actual specimen sizes. I've met them, but we did not get into specifics at the time so far as specimen size of what detector THEY favor. I know a good bit of what they do is on a couple of claims where they do 'hard rock' mining on exposed outcrops where they have to crush the rocks they break free to access the gold as opposed to going for free gold in placer deposits in/near stream beds.

• Like 2

They probably favor the GB2 for a reason, to this day it's still the most sensitive small gold detector on the market.  It's not much good for anything else though so best left as a dedicated gold machine.  Machines like the Legend and Equinox that a great all rounders with smaller coils are not all that far behind it though, you won't miss much if anything that the GB2 gets and if you do it'll likely be so small it doesn't overly matter except for the excitement of the tiny find. 🙂

You've been given the great advice, people really went out of their way to ensure you had accurate high quality unbiased advice.

• Like 3

Thanks, Phrunt, and yes, I am impressed with the quality of advice offered!

Frankly, unless a GB 2 is totally head and shoulders better than a Legend, (The difference between failure and success), then I'm sure the Legend would be preferable for it's versatility (like the MXT but better).

I have some experimenting to do before I come to a final decision, but he advice offered prejudices me strongly in a reasonable decision!

There is no substitute for experience, and personally lacking same, I defer happily to those who have it. Anyone can write a check for a gee-whiz machine, but those who have lived with several, and have experience with them are the ones to listen to, and I am grateful for those offering their advice.

Bob

Steve,

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Another thumbs up for Jeff's post. I'll keep mine short since he actually covered it. I was a super fan of the MXT, and had a lot to do with popularizing it as a nugget hunting detector. It in my mind was the first true "several machines in one box" type detector. However, there are now better multi use machines, lighter, and waterproof, with better gold capability. You mentioned the Legend, and I think that would be a very fine replacement for any MXT user. Terrific bang for the buck combination of features, and a target id scale that most White's users would shift to more easily than some of the other options. I say that as an Equinox user by the way. Another great detector, but in your case the Legend probably fits the bill a tad better. It drew your eye for a reason.

I clicked your included link and it was a nugget all in itself. I'd done a good bit of searching on forums regarding the MXT and my concerns, but somehow while some of your past writings came up, this one "super fan of the MXT" had not and I found it SO valuable I printed it out for use while I use my old (almost unused) experimenting with my MXT. I HAVE the Jeff Foster book I bought years ago, and have recently spent hours studying it and highlighting sections in yellow for quick reference, and it's a great nuts-and-bolts book on the machine, but your threads condense a LOT into how to actually use the machine.

I am a retired military/airline pilot, among other 'past lives' (with a lot of Alaska bush flying mixed in), and with 35+ years and 28k hours always appreciated learning the systems of aircraft I flew (and it was absolutely essential of course). We spent hundreds of hours (probably thousands) getting to know every nuance of our machines. Foster's book is GREAT, like what we called our systems manuals.  But NOTHING substituted for just getting into the cockpit and actually flying them, especially with no passengers so one could explore their envelope, and especially their limits to learn techniques one might use/need in a pinch. Reading advice from those who have actually used the machines is almost like actually using them and adds SO much more to the relatively dry pursuit of merely learning the technical systems by reading.  Your "been there, done this"  from personal experience and which you passed long is most valuable as it puts it all together, connecting theory to practice. I'm sure it will put me a leg-up when I go out and actually start using the MXT (which I never really did after buying it years ago).

Thanks for referencing that linked thread!

Bob

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bobinyelm said:

Dear Glacial Gold- I see you show experience with "The Legend," but you didn't comment on how it stacked up. What did YOU think of it?  

Good question, and I can't really answer it concretely. But let me try. 😀

I'm pretty new to the Legend and am comparing it side-by-side with the 800 as a relatively novice user overall. I will say my home air tests (I know, I know) show the Legend and 800 both pick up small pickers/thick-ish flakes of gold at about the same 4" range when using 6" coils in their respective prospecting modes. 

I guess the Legend 1.09 software update pushed a "mineralization tracking" feature, which I look forward to using and trying to isolate black sand deposits in my local gold areas. I've also heard the 800 has a workaround option (and please, someone else feel free to provide better detail) using the threshold to accomplish a similar mineraliztion check, one where the threshold decreasing or nulling out indicates a higher mineralization level than the surrounding ground.

While I prefer the 800 in actual use, if I had to pick one -- and especially if budget was an issue -- I'd definitely go with the Legend. My dos centavos, at least.

2 hours ago, glacialgold said:

Good question, and I can't really answer it concretely. But let me try. 😀

I'm pretty new to the Legend and am comparing it side-by-side with the 800 as a relatively novice user overall. I will say my home air tests (I know, I know) show the Legend and 800 both pick up small pickers/thick-ish flakes of gold at about the same 4" range when using 6" coils in their respective prospecting modes. 

I guess the Legend 1.09 software update pushed a "mineralization tracking" feature, which I look forward to using and trying to isolate black sand deposits in my local gold areas.

While I prefer the 800 in actual use, if I had to pick one -- and especially if budget was an issue -- I'd definitely go with the Legend. My dos centavos, at least.

Interesting and thank-you for being candid.

Unfortunately not all or perhaps even many of us get out enough to be experts or professional in our use of these machines, so it makes it difficult to assess the features and abilities of the more sophisticated machines accurately.

I started metal detecting (relic hunting in a NJ ghost town) 50 years ago 1973 with a Heathkit Model GD-48 metal detector which from memory was basically a no-motion "pinpointer" as many modern machines incorporate so one could become fairly proficient (to the limits of the machine) in short order . But the newer machines are GeeWhiz devices that are minicomputers in a black box with several programs built in with user controlled parameters so it takes time to get good unless one just uses the default settings, though even then with multi-purpose, multi frequency detectors there's a learning curve.

So we end up depending upon those who use different models day in and day out to help us decide (given that advertisements are prone to hype), and it's great to have a place like this with experienced users to help us week-end warriors out.

I am aware that the performance of this unit is highly dependent upon installing the latest update. Have you done that, and is it as easy as downloading it to a computer and then loading onto the machine, and is it free to owners of The Legend? I imaging that it is easy to determine which software version you have on your machine (buying a new machine may not guarantee that it was installed at he factory).

Thanks-

Bob

BMD.png.962e228a66c0e4ce4449dd9ef5312609.pngob

• Like 1

Bob,   If you decide to get The Legend, you can have your unit fully updated if you purchase it from a real dealer & not just a drop ship from the distributor outfit. I just purchased a second unit to let my children use when they get to go with me. Just ask like I did & they should be happy to update for you, thou it is not hard to do it yourself.

I would recommend the Pro Pack to get the small coil for your gold crevassing or any trashy spots coin hunting. The extra battery is nice to have also. I have over 120 hours on my first Legend & I can tell you it is very capable. I ordered the second one for my wife & children because it is so easy to run well.

Welcome to a great forum to learn & enjoy the hobby.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bobinyelm said:

I am aware that the performance of this unit is highly dependent upon installing the latest update. Have you done that, and is it as easy as downloading it to a computer and then loading onto the machine, and is it free to owners of The Legend?

Oh yeah, it's easy peasy. The recharge cable is fitted with a USB connection to the AC adapter so you can plug it into a computer, as well. All one has to do is download the update from the Nokta website and plug your Legebnd in to the computer's USB port, and follow the file transfer instructions.

Note, the updates are for Windows and macOS only, so a no go for Android devices...as I found out from personal experience. Still wasn't a problem since I had a spare Windows laptop hanging around. 

Thanks gents...

Yes, it would be nice to get a fully updated unit, but I suspect they will issue periodic updates as the last bugs are eliminated, so installing updates will still be relevant. I understand 1.09 is the current one, and did a lot of reading and some had a lot of trouble getting their units to accept the download, but eventually it seemed everyone got it done.

I WOULD like to get a new enough unit so it would have the improved speaker installed, as the early ones seem to have a high failure rate.

I would prefer to buy from a local dealer who would hold my hand, but being the typical cheapskate, I see $595 for the "Pro Package" w/ 2 coils, headset, extra battery as a good price. I have not checked with a "real dealer" (You mean like Kellyco or someone like that, or more local store front brick and mortar?) to see how much more they would charge. I see you can buy direct from the mfg as well-another option.

Thanks-

I just paid $595 for my Pro Pack from a dealer with a real store.

The difficulty with past updating seems to be solved with Nokta's new Updater tool.

• Like 1