Trx Pinpointer

In my case, my favorite feature is the forward aiming sensitivity.  I like to think of it as the reverse of a flashlight (beam forward) vs. the reverse of an incandescent light bulb (light emitted in all directions).  I'm less likely to get fooled by a target in the side of the hole I'm digging.

I also like the proportional audio rate response (probably there's a better term for this...) -- beep rate increases but doesn't saturate until you get very close to the target.

A non-performance advantage is that it will run on two AA batteries (as well as one 9 V).  That saves money, at least if I'm using disposable batteries.

For full disclosure, I actually carry both the White's Bullseye TRX and Garrett Carrot when coin detecting most sites.  For nugget hunting and dig-all relic hunting in soft ground like out West I just use the Carrot.  But for my general parks and schools detecting I start with the Carrot set on high sensitivity to find a target and get me in the ballpark, then the TRX to home in for the kill.  (The TRX proportional audio gives me confidence that I won't damage the target as I know when I'm getting close and can ease up on my digging and work around the target.)  BTW, I do realize that the Carrot has dynamic gain adjust -- so does the TRX for that matter.  But for me I find that the TRX's proportional audio works better when I get close, as does its forward sensitivity.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

In my case, my favorite feature is the forward aiming sensitivity.  I like to think of it as the reverse of a flashlight (beam forward) vs. the reverse of an incandescent light bulb (light emitted in all directions).  I'm less likely to get fooled by a target in the side of the hole I'm digging.

I also like the proportional audio rate response (probably there's a better term for this...) -- beep rate increases but doesn't saturate until you get very close to the target.

A non-performance advantage is that it will run on two AA batteries (as well as one 9 V).  That saves money, at least if I'm using disposable batteries.

For full disclosure, I actually carry both the White's Bullseye TRX and Garrett Carrot when coin detecting most sites.  For nugget hunting and dig-all relic hunting in soft ground like out West I just use the Carrot.  But for my general parks and schools detecting I start with the Carrot set on high sensitivity to find a target and get me in the ballpark, then the TRX to home in for the kill.  (The TRX proportional audio gives me confidence that I won't damage the target as I know when I'm getting close and can ease up on my digging and work around the target.)  BTW, I do realize that the Carrot has dynamic gain adjust -- so does the TRX for that matter.  But for me I find that the TRX's proportional audio works better when I get close, as does its forward sensitivity.

Great explanation. Couldn't have said it better. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

For me it’s the depth. It has amazing depth. That combined with proportional response helps not damage the target. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I loved the TRX, But I'm going deaf.  So wireless with the Z-Link.  Miss the TRX, dang good pinpointer. 

i'll beat that, someone can have mine for $450 😛

Any when that sells, I'll sell another one for $450 🙂

By far the best pin pointer for depth , and it's tip directional accuracy . Unfortunately I have one that has died altogether and another that keeps losing it's ground balance . So sad after so many miles and finds together !  If Garrett would reproduce them I would be in the market for two more , and I am sure so would many others . Total waterproofing would be the go , water is the downfall of both of mine .